What was the last movie you watched ....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guvnor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Caught up with some films over the Xmas holidays, seems so long ago!
    These days unless a film comes a long I really want to watch, they seem to go on the back burner.

Anyway my recent favourite, and most memorable was The Revenant. The scene with the Mama bear was eye poppingly good, but overall just a great film, veangence never gets old. Di Caprio deserved his Oscar.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  2. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Finally got around to seeing Arrival. Interesting flick, to say the least. I'm a Amy Adams fan, so of course I had to see it.

So, after all is said and done, can she only see the whole of her own life ? that's the impression I got. I'm just wondering, how does this help the Septapods, who supposedly need our help in 3000 years? Did I miss something ? Are they alluding to the fact that we can learn to step out of time as well, or just see it's entirety ?

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I believe
    The Aliens were giving the gift to Earth so they can help us in the future. To which I think is time travel (Or at least our future) depending if the Aliens even have a concept / perception of time, and based on their written language, they dont.
    As a sentence for us has a beginning to end, but their language is circular. Hinting that it is all one.....

4. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Watched Green Room recently. Good film. There was a scenario in that film where BJJ was used to stay alive...it proved more useful that a fully loaded gun in that situation! Also very graphically demonstrated how knife cuts through flesh so effortlessly...

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Watched 'The Great Wall' today. Camp, colourful, OTT action. See it if you want to switch off for a couple hours.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Sex(ed), a social history of American sex ed films.

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Machete

Um ... that was ... not done well. When the "Six-Million Dollar Man" sound played as Steven Seagal readied his sword, I finally figured out this is spoof movie. It's not trying to be serious. It's like "Space Balls" is to "Star Wars," but for the genre of American drug lord revenge movies.

Basically, hero is trying to stop drug lord. Drug lord kills hero's family and almost kills hero. Hero goes into hiding until the day when the drug lord crosses his path and threatens him again.

The good: Guns, swords and machetes and other sharp things, decapitation, and naked pretty girls. Oh, and Steven Seagal dies.

The bad: The whole movie feels like a practice run, like it was made by film students. Sure, it has some funny moments, like with the weed-wacker, and the opening scene where Machete nearly clears a whole house himself. But there are several plot holes that leave the viewer wondering, "Huh?" and, come on, why/how does Machete have Wolverine's healing power? The guy got shot but he continued as if nothing was wrong -- with no explanation.

And I'm not even going to talk about She coming back with one eye. :mad:

In short -- it's as if the studio released the movie when it was at best only 80% finished.

8. Ben Gash CLF

Machete is awesome, the whole point is not to overthink it.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

"Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse"

Ridiculous premise, puerile humor and a pretty formulaic story

Loved it - 7/10

10. aikiMac

In hindsight, I think if I was watching it with three beers and a pizza, I would have enjoyed it very much.

11. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Watched this yesterday and can concour it's huge , silly fun.

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Logan

I go to the movies most weeks, but I don't write about it here all that often because there are people who can write this stuff far better than me. Every once in a while, though, a film comes along that excites you enough to want to talk about it with others. 'Logan' is the first one in a long time that has resonated with me on such a level. Maybe it was Logan's ever-increasing fragility, due to his famous healing factor slowing down every day, that reminded me of my own sense of mortality as I make the slow march toward middle age. Or perhaps it was Logan's failing health from adamantium poisoning, something I can relate to because of my chronic bone infection linked to the metal implants in my hips and legs (Logan and I even share a similar-looking limp). Whatever it was, I found 'Logan' to be a deeply personal film which stands out very well on its own, and is even better quality when you compare it to all the other instalments in the X-Men franchise (which are child-friendly, and frankly quite camp). It felt more like a western. It's a film which every "old guy" will connect with. Oddly, it left me with a sense of pride at the thought of getting older.

9/10

13. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Headshot - An ultra-violent, no punches pulled Jason Bourne-esque Indonesian action/thriller, starring Iko Uwais (Raid 1 & 2)

Although I thoroughly enjoyed this film, I enjoyed it less by the end, than I did as it was playing out - I put this down do a slightly weaker (for my money at least) 3rd act.
    I was also a bit conflicted about Iko's character - I expected in a film of this nature, with the casting of an actor like Iko, that the protagonist would have mad hand-to-hand skills (he had skills alright, they just weren't 'Raid mad skills') and it just left me feeling like the dangling carrot that was never delivered.

I'd give it a solid 7/10 and would definitely watch it again, but if it is a fun film you are after, I'd give this one a miss. However, if graphic violence, with no comic relief, and absolutely everyone in the film getting a raw deal is your thing, then you'll probably stand more of a chance. (FYI - If you liked Iko's earlier work "Marantau" I think you'll like this one too)

Travess

14. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Just watched the trailer for 'Atomic Blonde' (which I'll not share here, due to coarse language and scenes of a sexual nature) starring Charlize Therone, and directed by one of the directors of the original John Wick film - WOW, just WOW! About 30 seconds in, there is a long, single continues shot stairwell fight scene, definitely looks worth the price of admission alone...

Travess

15. aikiMac

I just YouTube'd it on your recommendation, and yes, I will definitely keep that one in mind!

16. Mushroom

I watched it last week on opening night.

Whoever got paid off in the BBFC for letting this go as a 15 (and over) must be laughing as it went very 18 very quickly.
    To be fair, a few years probably wont matter anyway.

I love your post about it. I was actually thinking of what was making him ill. I initially thought cancer, as I noticed throughout the film, there was no smoking.

It's not Old Man Logan (for the geeks out there). It takes elements from Old Man Logan and also Wolverine: The End.
    I genuinely teared up for the last part, but if I was to nit-pick, the weakest part (for me) was the final battle.
    But otherwise..easily one of the best films about.
    Patrick Stewart is just great, and I love hearing him curse. Professor X succumbing to old age and its potential illnesses (his performance kind of reminded me of his character in Blunt Talk).

Can't really discuss more about it, without spoiling it...but well worth a watch. and not with the kids.

17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I need to go and see Logan. Didn't rate any of the other X-Men film save for First Class. This one has me interested though.

18. Mushroom

Staying with angry Patty Stewart.

I watched a horror film on Netflix, Green Room. If you're squeamish...not for you.
    A travelling punk band end up having to play in a Neo Nazi filled club. A series of events end up with them being stuck inside "the green room" (a resting room for performers) fighting for their lives.

Sir Patrick plays the creepy and collected Nazi Leader and it was one of the last performances of Anton Yelchin before his untimely passing.

I genuinely had to cover my eyes for a certain part.

19. Mushroom

I have a serious love/hate relationship with the X Men films. Matthew Vaughan (First Class) seemed to be bringing it to an interesting direction, until Bryan Singer decided to "reclaim" the franchise.

Also... I liked Wolverine "The Japan Adventures". :Alien:

20. Ben Gash CLF

I actually enjoyed Days of Future Past.