Plyometric bodyweight routine

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Knee Rider, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Hey,

For anyone who's trawled through the witterings, self aggrandisement and naval gazing that is my training log you'll know I'm currently making some tweaks to my routine. I'm looking to switch up the nature of my roadwork to focus on explosiveness and think my physical training hasn't been helping my MMA training.

I'm looking for a plyometric bodyweight protocol that requires zero equipment which I can perform in the morning before my roadwork. I want to focus on developing explosive strength. A beginner routine would be better as my only strength activities are sparring, grappling and pads right now so my body isn't well conditioned to strength work anymore.

Any recommendations?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

If you want explosive strength go squat and deadlift, and do some box jumps and short sprints as well

Oh hell just do this routine www.defrancostraining.com/westside-for-skinny-bastards-part2/

4. Knee Rider

Definitely going to do sprints. Maybe tuck jumps or burpees would replace box jumps?

I'm not adverse to weights (I used to heavily into them a few years ago) but I don't have any and I'm looking for something pure bodyweight related that I can smash before my roadwork.

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Most jumps would work but not burpees you want to be fresh to build explosiveness you aren't after explosive endurance you need to build the explosiveness first
    So lots of rest between sets and not too.much total volume

Jump training – choose one of the following exercises and perform 5-8 sets of 1-3 jumps:
    Box jumps
    Vertical jumps
    Broad jumps
    Hurdle hops (jump over hurdle and land on ground

An example of sprint training template would be TUESDAY – Speed training

General Warm-up / Movement skills (5-15 minutes) – The goal of this portion of the workout is to increase your core temperature by performing basic movement skills and calisthenics. (Example: bodyweight squats, jumping jacks, skipping, back pedaling, etc…)
    Ground-based mobility (5-15 minutes) – Once you’ve broken a sweat and your muscles are warm, I suggest performing ground-based mobility drills for 5-15 minutes. (Sample mobility drills include: roll-overs into V-sits, fire hydrant circles, mountain climbers, groiners, etc…)
    Frequency drills (2-3 minutes) – I always like to conclude my warm-up with 1 or 2 drills that excite the central nervous system before beginning the speed training portion of the workout. These drills should only last 5-10 seconds, and I recommend 2-3 sets for each. (Example: low pogo jumps, wideouts, ankling, etc.)
    Speed training – We always separate “speed training” from conditioning. When I refer to speed training for non-track athletes, I’m talking about distances of 60 yards or less, with complete (or close to it) recovery between sprints. The goal of this workout is to actually get faster. That’s why it’s done early in the week when your legs are at their freshest. For example, if a football player wants to incorporate some Combine tests into his weekly template, today would be the ideal day to do so. A sample workout would look like this:
    10-yard starts – 8 sprints with 1 minute rest between sprints
    20-yard shuttle – 5-6 reps with 1-2 minutes rest between sprints

6. Knee Rider

Legend. Thanks mate :)

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I'd seriously consider DeFranco's templates he is that rare thing an internet coach who has trained hundreds of athletes and who has put time tested programs up free of charge. If you don't want the strength stuff just take his conditioning, speed and jumps days templates.

But remember when building explosiveness he does this in the off season and reducing weight room daysand weights because explosive training is a) draining and b) needs to be done when fresh, if you are training 5 hard days if classes a week it might be too much

8. Knee Rider

Thanks. I will. I train Monday, Wednesday Saturday ATM. 5 sessions split over those days. It's hard training but I do have days to recover between.

Do you think it'd be a good idea to do these routines on training day mornings or on different days?

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

It say do then on the morning of your training days, downside is you will be tired for the evening upside is you will be fresh for the explosive work as you will have had a days rest, and you will adapt to them f fairly quickly, on your rest days look at doing some tempo intervals to help you recover if you need to, charlie Francis used them with his sprinters as a way of active recovery, aerobic training whilst still making them explosive and quicker

10. Knee Rider

Thanks mate. This has been super helpful. I really appreciate it.

11. Moiteet

Moiteet New Member

Thanks for sharing this. I'm a big fan of Stronglifts 5x5 which is very heavy on squats and deadlifts so I'm sure I'll find this to my liking also.