Virus!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anth, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

i thought that it would be good if everyone could post if they heard about a new virus, just as a warning to the rest of us.

first warning: Mydoom virus which is apparently worse than the Sobig.F virus that went round in august last year. link to bbc page about it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3432639.stm

i suggest that anyone worried about viruses as you should be runs windows update once a week if you use windows to make sure you have all of the critical updates and to kepp your antivirus software upto date.

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Good idea Gaskell. It might even be worth making this a sticky thread in this section.

Its got a fair few names too, not just MyDoom and Sobig.F. Andy Murray has had a problem with this virus, so if you can help him, go here http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9607

Like Gaskell says, run Windows Update and keep your AV up to date. Update it daily if you can.

The adress for Windows Update is http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/, or you can press Start > All Programs > Windows Update under XP.

You can run a free Antivirus scan at http://housecall.trendmicro.com or download AVG AntiVirus at http://www.grisoft.com. These are quick fixes, or good if you have no other option, but you really should pay for it if you can.

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

You can't, only a mod can. Its done now though.

Basically it means that it will be stuck at the top of the forum, so anyone browsing it will see it/always know where it is.

Pretty useful given the subject matter I think.

4. xubis

xubis New Member

I am so far behind on my windows update, it is impossible over the 56k now :'( HELP! lol

5. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Tell me about it! 4 Hours it took me when I first ran it :( I have a feeling you won't be the only person with this problem.

You can select certain compoments you want to install. It'll tell you about the ones you didn't pick when you go back to the page. Pick a few at a time if you have a slow connection :) Also, skip out Driver updates, they can be unstable. Install what you need from Critical Updates, and your OS's updates

6. Darkflames21

Darkflames21 New Member

Thank god verizon inform me about this virus. I had 3 unknown e-mail with attachments. Just delete any unknown mail with attachments and update your Anti-virus.

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

just another quick note about Mydoom.
    it is also spread through file-sharing networks such as kazaa and the like and it puts a "back-door" onto your system so hackers can get easy access to your files and worse, bank account numbers and passwords.

8. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Fortunately I use a web-based email (Yahoo) so they usually intercepts any email containing a virus.

The other day I received a doc.zip file that was infected by "WORM_MIMAIL.R"
    which is a new variant of the MIMAIL worm that has been found in the wild.

As of January 26, 2004 1:47 PM (US Pacific Time), TrendLabs has declared a yellow alert to control the spread of WORM_MIMAIL.R.

This mass-mailing worm selects from a list of email subjects, message bodies, and attachment file names for its email messages. It spoofs the sender name of its messages so that they appear to have been sent by different users instead of the actual users on infected machines.

It can also propagate through the Kazaa peer-to-peer file-sharing network.

It performs a denial of service (DoS) attack against the software business site www.sco.com. It attacks the site if the system date is February 1, 2004 or later. It ceases attacking the site and running most of its routines on February 12, 2004.

It runs a backdoor component, which it drops as the file SHIMGAPI.DLL. The backdoor component opens port 3127 to 3198 to allow remote users to access and manipulate infected systems. Note that it allows remote access even after February 12, 2004.

This worm runs on Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, and XP.

And if you need to more information on a virus:

Virus Encyclopedia Search

9. xubis

xubis New Member

Nice info KC

10. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Not to contradict you Gaskell, because you are right, but it can only steal information thats on your PC. If you use the net for banking and sometimes shopping, it can get your credit card numbers or bank details. Otherwise your safe, but the passwords is the biggest risk.

Luckily, most hackers who run these kind of backdoor programs wouldn't know where to actually locate the files with that data on them. Still doesn't lessen the risk any

11. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Just a heads up for those with minimal experience in PC security...

I find a combination of 3 things works very well...

1. Good anti-virus software updated at least weekly - I use SOPHOS

2. A good firewall -I'm sat behind a router AND I have a legit (i.e. paid for) ZoneAlarm Pro but you can get a free version of ZoneAlarm from www.zonelabs.com - That way even if someone gets past your Av software the resulting trojan/s shouldn't be able to "phone home"

3. Keep up to date with Windows Update

12. abby

abby New Member

There is a one-word solution to 99.9% of virii: Linux.

13. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I agree, but Linux is very difficult for newbies to use. My mother can just about cope with Windows, if I put her on my Linux machine, she'd probably faint :D Versions like Lindows help, but they're still a long way off making a desktop friendly version in my opinion.

14. Qis

Qis Blue Tags WTF

just for the record.
    I've recieved this virus in my yahoo account.
    Just so you know.

-Qis

15. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

16. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I've had 7 emails containing MyDoom in the last 2 days - chances of them making it onto my system? Slightly less than naff-all :p

17. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Given that it comes in an unsolicited email whith an attachment on it that you have to run in order to get infected, to get it
    You'd have to be a little dim, wouldn't you?

18. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

I've had 558 messages blocked in the last 7 days over my work network. Nasty.

Most of them came from a yoda@martialartsplanet.com - anyone know who he is?

19. Cain

Cain New Member

I hav'nt the faintest idea :D

Must be some 13 yr old who sits in a room with no lights and trash all over, with geek glasses creating viruses and grinning evilly as it spreads.....

:D

|Cain|

20. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

And cold half-eaten pizzas spread about the room. The sauce of which has marked enerything.