struggling with Choong-Jang

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by jazzysingh, Nov 27, 2009.

1. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

Some of ya know, I graded for my 2nd dan recently...

Anways I need some tips or pointers with Choong-Jang.

I really am struggling. I learnt Kodang and Eui Am pretty easily and confidently.

I am perfected them both now. But I can grasp Choong-Jang at all?

I dont know why. I never usually have problems with patterns.

Any useful comments are welcome

THANKS IN ADVANCE

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdVcgcnj_-I&NR=1"]YouTube- Choong-Jang[/ame]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  2. STKDH

STKDH Valued Member

is it the whole thing or just certain areas

3. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

well, at the moment i am struggling with a lot of it, i have tried just learn about 6 moves and i have been practicing out of class and watching vids and trying to add maybe another 6 moves or so, but i just seem to forget and confuse myself...!

4. STKDH

STKDH Valued Member

What you're doin is pretty much what i would suggest. taking it 6 moves at a time and dont go any further until you have it

5. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

well i have class in a couple of hours, will get sum1 to help me :) i guess its just repetition - to be fair, i never struggled with another of the others! lol - so its annoying me a little

6. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

The secret to learning even the most difficult of patterns.

1. Practice
    2. Repetition
    3. Practice
    4. Repitition

At 2nd degree you should have figured that out already.

7. ayrshiretkd

ayrshiretkd Valued Member

i normally learn a new pattern within a couple of days by using the cd rom, printing of a step by step guide that can be found all over the web and doing the pattern while thats handy. that way you don't need to worry about forgetting your pattern as you have the next moves right in front of you. hope this helps

8. Deedum

Deedum Valued Member

Literally took my grading for 3rd dan yesterday and oddly enough i struggled with this pattern in the beginning, constantly got it wrong and kept forgetting which part of the combination i was at and kept repeating the same bit. Keep working at it and you'll get there. Juche isn't much better

9. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

Deedum, I can understand - coz I find it pretty confusing.

Today, i have a full day of doing NOTHING so guess what I am gonna be doing? Yep, This form, over and over and over again! lol

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I found it a nightmare as well, sorry if that doesn't help :)

I think it's the pivots and the lack of repetition of movements in places. As everyone has said, little and often is the key to learning, add a little bit each time.

Having said that, my Instructor thinks you should always do the whole thing and build up sections that you remember, them stitch them together if you see what I mean.

Do you know, I'm not sure I've done it sonce my grading, I'd better have a run through too :D

Best of luck!

Mitch

11. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

that just doesnt work with me lol.

I am one of those who will learn 6 moves, and repeat them till they stuck in my brain for life lol. And then add 6 more or so lol.

If i do the whole thing... which is what I have been doing in class (not by choice) I havent been taking in much lol.

Thank god I have today to get it sorted lol.

12. STKDH

STKDH Valued Member

i love juche its one of my favorite forms and i didn't find it that difficult to pick as its got repeating sections on either side.

13. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

as part of our syllabus we do not learn Juche - Its been replaced with Ko dang.

However Juche is a very very amazing form and I want plan to learn it.

Need to grasp Choong-Jang 1st lol.

14. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

A pattern (form) is a set of moves that linked as a linear sequence for easy of learning and teaching such as abcde. The move abc and de may have connection meaning. the transitation between c and d may be just direction change and has no relationship at all. It make sense to repeat abc or de as two separate short sequences. But to repeat abcde as one unit has no logic reason IMO.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  15. TheMadhoose

Oh well now its so much clearer

16. Deedum

Deedum Valued Member

the thing with this pattern that helped me was breaking it down into sections (as already mentioned)

17. TheMadhoose

I find a good instructor/coach is the best help you can have

18. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You might want to check your history as to what replaced what jazzysingh :)

Mitch

19. Deedum

Deedum Valued Member

i had a good instructor for my three 3rd dan patterns, but that doesn't help if it doesn't sink in :hammer:

20. TheMadhoose

A good instructor works with you until it does sink in. Afterall what are you paying your monthly fees for?