How long?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by calidris, May 4, 2007.

1. calidris

calidris Valued Member

How long have you been practising your style of kung fu? I started Lau Gar in 1979, did it for 5 years then left and went to University, after that had contract jobs so went to many places in the UK. However I always joined a kung fu club (and a climbing club!) wherever I went. Sometimes they were Lau Gar clubs and sometimes something else eg Wing Chun or Tai Chi. For the last 5 years I have been back at Lau Gar again. Anyone else been practising kung fu for a long time?

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

nope

I'm a rank ameteur. Been in martial arts 5 years, Kung Fu for 4, and my current style for 1.5.

3. Ciar2001

Ciar2001 New Member Supporter

7 years of Steelwire Mantis currently upto 1 year of Chowgar, and i do intend to master it even if i am 60 when i make sifu :)

4. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

17 years CLF on and off. :)

5. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

You guys make me feel so freakin old!!!

I'm going on 32 years in CMA.

6. SirVill

SirVill Valued Member

A little over 18months as an adult (not counting kiddie karate and things from 8 years old) in MA and my current style for all of it.

7. Mano Mano

Mano Mano Dirty Boxer

6 months judo when I was sixteen, 1 year wing chun st 19, 20+ years choi lee fut & currently doce pares eskrima for the last 3 years.

8. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I'm a newbie as well. Five years doing martial arts, three years in my current style.

9. gungfujoe

gungfujoe Please, call me Erik. :)

That depends on your definition of "a long time." Compared to my students, my ~17 years (18+ if you count my Poekoelan training before) is a long time. Compared to many others, I'm pretty new to the arts (e.g. you started your Lau Gar the first time the year after I was born).

10. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

Ditto on that sentiment. I have been doing martial arts for 16 years, and this style for the last 13.

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'm probably the most inconsistent.
    MMA on and off 10yrs (big 3 yr gap), started off as Sambo/Kickboxing
    Pak Mei, since I was little about 10 tho another big gap in years.

12. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Just over three years of wing chun so far, I did karate and aikido for a few years over fifteen years ago.

13. ndabaningi

ndabaningi Valued Member

calidris

who did you train with in 1979 for 5 years

14. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

eh?

15. calidris

calidris Valued Member

Larbert Lau Gar under Alan Robertson. At that time there were regional black sashes around the place and they used to visit us regularly and assess how we were doing. I think our regional black sash was based in North East England and was called Robert Tin or similar. I just remember he was quite strict and very good!

16. Bassmonkey

Bassmonkey Formerly Cobalt60

I have been practicing for about 4 years in LG, although had a year and a half break due to breaking my elbow, then a club closed so more time off, then found a club but was useless, more time off, have now found a great club but am still a lowly blue sash as not been able to learn anything!

Grrr, orange will be mine, oh yes...it will be mine

17. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

14 years behind the sash, man and boy...

Took about 5 years out in total from Lau Gar due to 6th form, girlfriends, university (in that order) but I kept busy with all sorts of bits and bobs: Jujitsu, JKD, Kickboxing, Aikido, Weights, Training with mates, whatever I could find/I fancied.

Still regret not keeping up LG though (curse my teenage hormones!) i could've been a Black Sash years ago, hey ho.

18. calidris

calidris Valued Member

In 2007 I would have thought! :)

19. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

I bloody well hope so!

20. calidris

calidris Valued Member

Better be there tonight then young man and keep up your training!

Your Elder Kung Fu Brother