teri tom straight lead

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by tel, Mar 6, 2006.

1. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

am currently reading this book.
    first of all its a very insightful book on the straight punch.
    very wll laid out.
    its ok up to chapter 10 when she starts talking rubbish and having shots at dan inosanto
    hmmm. wonder how many times she has trained with him. she also called jkd a system, well what can you say. absoulate rubbish. she also called dan a so called jkd instructor funny that bruce asked dan to look after jkd because lee knew that inosanto was the one who could take it forward.
    also said that people call kali jkd. well you tell me where thy do that, they always list them as different things.
    she is saying that jkd can't be change.well bruce lee said that everybody's jkd is different and out of all lee's students who did brandon choose to train with.
    so the book is ok up to chapter 10 then its utter rubbish.
    shame she wrote absoulate lies

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  2. murphy81

murphy81 GM COMPUTER SERVICES

I have heard of her - but only because she is known more as a musician than anything. I know that she was in a successful Punk Rock band for quite a while, and that she was the first female instructor of JKD under Ted Wong, but dont know much else about her.

3. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe i'll look it up if i have time.
    You may not agree with me tel, but you know my opinion about inosanto...

so what if she calls jkd a system? It is a system in a way. In all that "do whatever works for you" madness there are some underlying principles that make JKD what it is. that’s my opinion anyway.

4. tel

bruce created it cos one system did not fit everyone. but agree that the principles make jkd what it is.and reason why we all have some things in common and not others

5. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

That's what I hate about some people when they have to bash other instructors.

6. thefourfoldpath

thefourfoldpath New Member

wow... is all i can say

Bottom line, no one, especially someone with less experience than Sifu Inosano, has the right to criticize him. The bottom line is this, Sijo Bruce Lee entrusted sifu inosanto to teach JKD. I don't care how great this book is on the straight lead, the fact that this person has the audacity to criticize Sifu Inosanto when they have no where near the experince and wisdom that he does. Sifu Inosanto taught my Sifu, and I have complete faith in them both. If you have ever seen Sifu Inosanto, then i think you will have a hard time criticizing him.

I'm glad someone else informed me of this, I was looking for it, but after hearing about that critisim, i think I will stick with Bruce Lee's fighting method books for now

:bang:

7. neb

neb Banned Banned

Besides, who would shell out on a book just on the straight lead.

It's just a flipping punch. One move. That's all. I don't need an entire book dedicated to it.

8. tel

research, getting an understanding of the jkd as a hole.
    its worth a read if only once. prob better borrowing it of someone

9. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

If you have the tao, Bruce Lee's fighting method and commentaries on the martial way, you basically have all bases covered IMHO.

10. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Valued Member

After reading her article in BlackBelt magazine. I might go and buy the book.

11. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Reguardless if I don't agree with someone doesn't really matter......I'm a JKD man, I try not to be neither for or against......After all Jeet Kune Do is base on "IT" (Tao)..... I would have to admitt, It's not a easy thing to "BE"... :bang:

Peace, Love and Soul
    JFM :)

12. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Valued Member

How do you write a whole book on one technique. There is only so far that you can break a technique down into.

13. tel

history of straight lead, what footwork to use, how jkd uses it.
    stuff like that. as it was a jkd book i read it. tho got to chapter 5 and got bored and skipped to chapter 10 where she begins to write the utter rubbish

14. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

did you not say she came from the Ted Wong end of the spectrum, if that is the case, then, she will be doin JunFan JKD which to al intents and purposes, is a style, it has standard moves, basic form and has some very strong principles.
    JKD and concepts was a process beyond the junfan end, Ted wong was and remains bruces only student to have never trained in any other art prior to bruce, so Ted is the living embodiment of bruces short lived style, cool really :D

15. tel

don't agree with that,i would say dan is the living embodiment.
    ted stoped doing what bl was trying to achive and has not moved on from the 60's.
    as for terri tom its not that she writes about jun fan its that she writes rubbish against dan inosanto

16. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

have not read the book,but what i meant was that TW is the living embodiment of what BL junfan system was and still is, i agree, he has not moved forward, i spent a whole weekend with him in 2000 and all his Junfan was still in the 60's :D

17. tel

oh got ya, soz bit slow :D . but see what you are saying

18. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

TW is bruce lees art in the 60's and is as such a system, all students of JKD know Junfan the system.

:D

19. tel

agree

20. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

o0r at least they should :D