Chinese Karato

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by incubus, Jan 29, 2005.

1. incubus

incubus Valued Member

Hi

I am asking this question in the kungfu forum since it is related to Chinese martial arts.

Has anyone ever heard of Chinese Karato or Atado ? I was reading some articles on the Net and it was mentioned. Does anyone has any info about this ?

I do not think it is very popular .. right ?

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Do you have the link on where you read this?
    Karato Atado is not even a Chinese word.

3. incubus

incubus Valued Member

4. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Those stances remind me of a t'ai chi or qi gong video I saw. No "kung fu champion" would ever have "karato" within a mile of his name.

Where do I sign up?

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Dude...I couldnt find a link to inside the books. All i get is the synopsis. Did a quickie google and found nothing..but it seems that the original name of the style is Mon Lung.
    A dragon based style..is that correct?

6. incubus

incubus Valued Member

Hi,

yes Mon Lung is a Dragon style kungfu and it has originated from Leong Fu. was just interested to get to know more about this Chinese Karato.
    Unfortunately,, I cannot find much info about this art of fighting or even Leong Fu. Probably because it s a bit old :(

7. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

There is a possibility that they were speaking of "Chinese Kenpo" (or is it Kempo). Either way it's a "chinese dirived art." The reason for the quotes is that there always seems to be a bit of, shall we say confusion, about Chinese Kenpo in martial arts circles.

We should note that based on the publishing dates, these books were from a time when terms and phrases were not always the most defined. It could simply be an error on the part of the publishers.

- Matt

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  8. incubus

incubus Valued Member

I agree with you Matt, surely at that time , translation from Asian languages was still done very liberately. Today , there is lot of standards and help (like internet sites etc).

:bang:

9. buhdahto

buhdahto New Member

Hi there, Incubus, I am new to Martial Arts Planet. I see the question you asked about Chinese karato or atado, back in July of 2003. Way back in 1970, while living in England, I saw an ad in a magazine. A man calling himself Honorable Master Leong Fu was selling a self defense course by mail order. The ad claimed he had taken on 13 opponents, all of whom held black belts in various martial arts. The ad said that when he allowed a few of them to hold him, an effortless flick sent them spinning against a wall. The ad went on to say, 'High-ranking judo and karate black belts shudder at the thought of facing a real kung fu fighter, for they know he is invincible and unbeatable.' I was a gullible boy of 13. I believed things I would not believe now, at the age of 49. I used my savings to pay twelve British pounds for the course. I can still remember the address. It is was 119 Anderson Road, Ipoh, Malaysia. The course consisted of several lessons; each lesson consisted of several pages stapled together. On the front cover of each lesson was a photo of him, plus the words, 'Copyright Leong Fu, 1959.' The course had photographs, but most illustrations were drawings. Leong Fu said he was an ethnic Chinese, born in Ipoh, Malaysia. He said that from childhood, he studied kung fu under monks at a local temple. He never said he went to China. He did say that Chinese monks founded kung fu, but he never mentioned Bodidharma or the Shaolin temple. Nothing to do with animals was mentioned. No praying mantis, no white crane, no eagle claw, no tiger claw. Nor did he mention Hung Gar or Wing Chun. He said he used his kung fu skills to become a professional wrestler. He said that after defeating his toughest opponent, a man who called himself King Kong, he retired undefeated. He said he did a thorough study of martial arts around the world, then combined his kung fu knowledge with the best of everything else to form the art he called Kung Fu Karato or Atado. He claimed his art was far superior to all other martial arts. Back then, I had not yet been inside a dojo. I had, however, spent much time at the local library, where I read several books on judo, karate and other arts. There were very few moves in his course I had not already seen in some other book. There was a promise of money back if not satisfied, so I sent the course back. Surprisingly, I got my twelve pounds back. A few years later, I came across a paperback book called 'Self-Defense in Every Emergency.' It was by Leong Fu. It was a smaller version of his mail order course, for much less than twelve pounds. His martial art was good, but hardly superior to all other martial arts.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  10. incubus

incubus Valued Member

Hello TJ , thanks for your answer. Probably it was this book ...

http://www.newavebooks.com/Books/ART1.html

11. buhdahto

buhdahto New Member

Hi there, Incubus. Yes, it was that book. I would not recommend that anybody waste his money on it.

T. J.

12. incubus

incubus Valued Member

Anyone heard of a MA called Baron Omidi? I think he trained in UK and had met Leong Fu ?

13. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're kidding me right? Dude find a good school. a real martial art and not that BS that Baron Fakedy is trying to sell...

14. pqs

pqs Valued Member

I trained with Baron Omidi back in the '70's he was mainly teaching Kickfighting then, he was also the teacher of Lajos Jakob both were people who could look after themselves
    Regards
    Peter

15. buhdahto

buhdahto New Member

16. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

I, for one, doubt anyone was holding their breath that long for an answer to this.

17. Astyanaz

Astyanaz New Member

A late comment. I bought Leong Fu's 1959 course in the 60's, although I did little practice at the time. It was over forty lessons, unbound, and was over two inches thick. Years later, I had a friend with a Taekwondo black belt look at it. He said was greatly impressed with the katas and said it contained much of what he had learned. While it was not comparable to a modern dojo, it was far beyond any other written course available at the time, or possibly for another ten of fifteen years, probably until Masutatsu Oyama's Large Karate books or even after. You must judge things by their time.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Thank goodness...I've been waiting nearly 10 years for an update on this thread.