your favourite book/ book series and why

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by munkiejunkie, Dec 22, 2004.

1. munkiejunkie

munkiejunkie sanity's requiem

Sorry if this has been already done but- what is your favourite book/ book series and why. Mine are a tie between Terry Pratchets Discworld and all of the J.R.R. Tolkien books. Tolkein because every thing is almost as detailed life it self (i.e. the timelines, the family tree's etc.) and Terry Pratchet because it is just so funny :D , combined with excellent writing.

2. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

For a series I really love the Myth books by Asprin. They are funny and well written as well as the fact that they are ment for young readers but have things in them only an adult will get. Very well done. I also love the books that were spawned in the pulp fiction era crica 1930's through 50's or were inspired by them like: The Horselords by Robert Adams, any of the books by Robert E. Howard, Fafard and the Gray Mouser by Fritz Leiber, and let's not forget Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling, and so on and so forth. All of these books are based on strong recurring characters and I really enjoy well written characters.

Solo books: I have many I've enjoyed over the years and have enjoyed the all for different reasons. Coming to mind now is The Duel by Joseph Conrad, Starship Troopers and Time enough for Love by Robert A Heinlein, Beowolf, The Three Musketeers, The Scarlet Pimpernel, etc.

3. piranha

piranha New Member

I like the Agatha Christie books. I've only read two though. I should buy them all hehe.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

It's a head to head between...

Tolkein's Lord of the Rings (etc) - for pure depth.

and

Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series. Excellent tale over 7 books - and the way it ties most of his other books together is just wowza :p

5. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

the lord of the rings or van-helsing

6. slig

slig he's so hot right now

The Gap series by Stephen Donaldson is still my favourite read. Very, very dark sci fi. Explores human depravity in the extreme. There's no gratuitousness (is that evan a word?) with the stories, just a visceral, raw human experience. Excellent character development also, you feel a certain vindication for the bad guy at the end, but I won't spoil it.

Plus there's Aliens. Bad mutagenic ones. And you can't go wrong with Aliens, right? :D

To clarify, all five titles :

The Gap Into Conflict: The Real Story

The Gap Into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge

A Dark and Hungry God Arises: The Gap Into Power

Chaos and Order: The Gap Into Madness

This Day All Gods Die: The Gap Into Ruin

Can't recommend this series enough.

7. evilkingston

evilkingston 필요악

not really a certain series fan, but my favorite authors are:
    - Friedrich Nietzsche (absolute favourite book = Alzo Sprach Zarathustra)
    - Willem Frederik Hermans (absolute favo book of him = Paranoia)
    - Robert Musil (absolute favo book = Der Mann ohne Eigenschaften)
    - Hugo Claus (absolute favo play = Borgerocco)

- all time favourite biography = Janz -> Nietzsche Biography
    - all time favo thriller = Donna Tart -> Verborgen Geschiedenis (~hidden history?)

8. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

dark materials

Philip pullmans dark materials is one of the best stories out there.
    you must read these books.

9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

My favourite writer is David Eddings, and my favourite book series is the Belgariad(from the Belgariad/Malloreon universe), followed by the Elenium and Tamuli(from the Elenium/Tamuli universe)

i can't judge the malloreon because i only read a part of it(most spanish translations after 1990 or so suck like a vacuum cleaner, and we didn't have two of the books)

After that it's The Mote in the Eye of God by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, and it's follow up The Third Arm, which i'm currently reading(both one of the few worthwhile spanish translations i know, aside from the harry potter books which i also like)

Fish Of Doom

10. Athleng Nordic

Eddings is really decent. I loved the Elenium and Tamuli series. Sparhawk kicked ass. The Belgariad was good but I've not read the Malloreon yet.

11. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

Yeah Eddings is probably my favoruite author along with Joh Grisham, Bernard Cornwell and Sara Douglass.

12. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

The Wheel Of Time Series by Robert Jordan
    10 books long, on number 2. Its brilliant, you get hints about the world then your questions are answered. Everything is so detailed and so cleverly done I love it. Also everything is possible in a way. Like the magic isn't some obscure power, you use elements and so on. Its veyr cleverly done and the things that are confusing and maybe not possible in RL the characters in the book dont understand. Its very nifty.

13. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Minor correction: its 10books long (at the minute) - its not finished, im waiting book 11......

But other than that yeah i totally agree, excellent read! wavers a little round books 7-8, but picks up very well in 9.

Other books i love:
    Books of Blood - Clive Barker
    The Rigante Series - David Gemmell

14. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

The Little Prince...enough said.

15. Athleng Nordic

There is another thread titles Wheel of Time where I express my opinion of Jordan. I like'd the idea and what I read was kewl but he just can not SHUT THE HELL UP!!!

16. GeeniusAtWurk

GeeniusAtWurk Valued Member

I second the dark tower series by stephen king.

17. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

The series currently is good, im only on number 2 but im expecting good things soon. The one thing I hate is Rand al'Thor. ------------------ He has all the power of saidin to himself so while an Aes Sedai is killing him in the dungeon he doesn't do anything...wtf? Also when hes trying to figure out how to sort out a lot of trollocs, he has all the power of the eye of the world in him yet he cant kill 3 trollocs...?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2005
  18. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

I've always loved White Fang by Jack London, I first read this book while I was at school quite a few years ago and it really made an impression on me and I've never got bored with it.
    lisa xx

19. Athleng Nordic

Another good series is the Thieves World books. It's a compilation of short stories revolving around the same handful of characters. The various authors are allowed to use the characters as they want but are not allowed to kill them off unless they created it. The back drop for the books is the seedy Maze and the Vulgar Unicorn all within the city of Sanctuary.

20. Peter Bradbury

Peter Bradbury Valued Member

I like phillip pulmans dark matter series, as well as harry potter which im totaly addicted to.