Decuardas Stick Video

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by BahadZubu, Mar 12, 2017.

1. BahadZubu

BahadZubu Valued Member

Hey all.

Just getting back into working out after suffering an injury. And what better way to get back into the spirit of things than to post a video on MAP. This is a video of myself and Guro Federico of Bahad Zubu U.S.A hitting the Decuardas Stick. The goal of this exercise is to develop finesse with your strikes to be able to hit multiple shots in one go. It also helps to work head movement an footwork. Yes, numerous students have been whacked by the sticks, they do indeed hit back.

Give the video a watch and feel free to comment or ask questions. Please don't comment on my live hand though, as I have sustained an injury that prevents me from being more 'active' with it. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoAjGqeMrr0&feature=youtu.be

Best,

BZ USA

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

nice.

A great alive visualisation tool.

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Is there some reason for the person to kick his foot back in the air repeatedly (at around 15 and 20 seconds and other places)?

I appreciate the video posting, and I love to watch stick stuff. I am not trying to be critical, but it seems like a bad idea to have one's foot up in the air like that. and I can't see a reason for that stance. Am I missing something? The sliding back, of course, makes sense, but the kick back in the air?

I like the whole set up though - really cool.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  4. BahadZubu

BahadZubu Valued Member

Thanks Simon!

'Floating' the foot ('Lutang' literally meaning air) was one of the fundamental movements of Tatang Ilustrisimo, a person GM Yuli learned from for many decades. If you notice we usually move the leg out of the way as the bottom stick is coming at it. But it is also meant to be a whole body movement and not just a leg defence. Floating the foot also allow for better extension of the weapon and being able to 'hit without getting hit'. Actually, more often than not, I use this as a counter to strikes the head as well as leg. It is also important to note that we practice control with the Lutang so we can time when we want to come back in.

Hope that helps. Thanks for the comment and question!