Polaris 4 free undercard

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Dead_pool, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If you follow the submission only scene, Polaris in the UK are (along with a few others around the world) taking the submission only idea, and putting on really entertaining high class shows, However unlike many of these, there also putting the undercard onto youtube for free, to showcase the up and coming talent from the UK to a wider audience.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0vSnD0vtxE"]Polaris 4 - Preliminary Card Free Stream - YouTube[/ame]

My main take from these matches, was that, ability in standing grappling dictates when and where the groundwork starts, and never let a small child have your arm! ;)

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Got to love the ippon seoi nage to arm bar, one way to circumvent the endless guard passing and guard retention game we see in high level BJJ these days is to simply wind them with a throw then rip there arm out of the socket before they have recovered. I love that aspect of judo, the quickness and directness of the ground game.

You point also rings true in MMA and IMHO is why so many British MMA fighters have trouble when they go to the States and start fighting a better class of fighter most of whom wrestled in high school, the ability to dictate when and if the fight goes to the ground pretty much dictates who will win the fight, either MMA or grappling

Interestingly a number of Brazilian BJJ black belts have the same problem, ie getting the fight to the ground, its harder to guard pull without the GI and their wrestling skills sometimes aren’t up to taking and holding down an unwilling opponent. I remember Judo Jimmy Wallhead beat 3 or 4 BJJ blackbelts in a row one year, they simply couldn’t get him down to the ground to implement their ground game, but his level of Judo skills in British MMA is sadly unusual.

Out of interest do you think the reason we are seeing so many leglock finishes or attempts these days is because its so hard to pass a high level guard, or get off any attack from the bottom against someone shutting your hips down and playing a knee slice game? Especially no gi where theers no handles to work with?

3. Dead_pool

I think your right, its a gap in the game, reapings not commonly taught now, and even those who do, most arnt systemic about it, so those who are good at it can use it at will.

Especially vs an open guard, or from butterfly bottom.

ive not watched it yet, but the Nathan orchard vs iminari match shows what a good positional game plus leg lock awareness can do!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Love watching Judo Jimmy. Wished he had a bigger chance in UFC.

What I quite like about the current MMA scene is that although we're watching MMA fighters, we still have the majority of them from specific skillsets.
    You can still point out...Wrestler, Boxer, Judoka, Karateka. Those who trained in nothing but MMA are still relatively new, so it'll be interesting to see in 10-20 years when the skills gap narrows. Sure there'll be those who are more inclined to strike or grapple but when everyone is at a similar skill level, what is it that we'll be watching out for?

Earlier this year I was in a Dean Lister seminar and he said (although I'm sure he's a little bias) that there are so many leg attacks, its nearly equal the amount of arm/chokes. However he does admit he obssesses over leg attacks more than anything.
    So it could be that at the higher level of Jits we see more legs because of the opportunity to grab it is more likely?
    (My submission game sucks so thats my basic view)

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Bad luck followed Jimmy, unfortunate to be in the same weight category as several other British fighters so pushed to the back of the queue for the UFC, then every time he signed a contract the organisation seemed to fold
    I think at the higher level where people protect their upper limbs so well, and guards are so hard to pass going for a leg can be a good option (if its MMA it’s a different thing entirely, but then if its MMA guard passing becomes easier as does sitting in the guard and hitting them)
    And as deadpool said a number of BJJ places are loath to teach leg locks from the start (and comp rules make their skill level against certain leg attacks poor) people are playing catch up allot of the time and relative to upper body subs they maybe more vulnerable. I think this has always been the case especially in no gi, I remember Royler winning several ADCC matches with leglocks
    Its interesting that it’s the same few leglocks that finish the fights though: the occasional straight foot lock, the Achilles lock, and the favourite the heel hook

6. Dead_pool

Slightly off topic, isnt the achilles lock just a variation of the straight foot lock?

The straight ankle etc is allowed in IBJJF comps from whitebelt, but i think the lack of reaping, mean its easy to defend as you know the leg control wont be there.
    Knee bars and toe holds are definitely, coming back into vogue now as well via IBJJF competition

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

yep i suppose i should have lumped them together, i tend to see them slightly differently as if is someone pulls their food straight to take the pressure of the Achilles lock i shuffle backwards get the foot in the armpit and flex it for the footlock but its the same position and same hold i suppose !

Interesting to see the near total lack of knee bars in MMA, do you see more of them in BJJ where you probably have better control over the leg and its not as slippy?

toe holds and heel hooks seem to be the best finishers but the straight lock entry the most high percentage grip, just harder to finish...i suppose this is because you can take the pain have no real fear of anything snapping and thus buy longer to escape