My old kung fu school / teacher

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Theidiot, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

A very long time ago, I trained in kung fu for a while. I lived it but life got in the way and I stopped going.

Ive since trained, and continue to train, in other arts. But curiosity is niggling.

I've Googled it but can find nothing.

Has anyone heard of any of this: the style was called Mo Gik Mun. The head man went by the title of grandmaster James Lung. He had a number of schools in the UK. He also sold traditional Chinese potions for various things.

The style was very brutal, but also contained meditation. I remember there being five stances modelled on animals, but other than the cat, I can't remember what animals they were. Fighting stance was like in karate but more relaxed and with the guarding hand open. Blocks were generally big actions pivoting extensively at the hips and legs to make like a coiled spring to come back with a strike. Emphasis was also on simultaneously blocking and striking, or getting out the way aikido style (move in at an angle) and striking as you go.

Anyone know it?

2. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Any of the schools still in action? Anyone that you trained with that you still know? Are you sure of the spelling of the name of the style or the sifu?

Initially neither the style or the person are names that I know but heck being foreign I probably wouldn't have been about when you were training.

Which counties/towns were the clubs in please? How long ago?

Thanks in advance.

LFD

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Mo Gik Mun means emptiness door, and is more likely a school name than a style as such.

4. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

That's interesting because I did consider it might be better know as something else. I wondered if mo gik mun was a lesser used language. I couldn't find a translation.

I distinctly remember that the goal of the meditation aspect was to achieve total emptiness I'm the mind. Our teacher said that only with a completely empty mind can we react correctly to any situation instantaneously without any mental hangups getting on the way.

5. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

True - mindless violence is scary. but empty minded violence is terrifying. :)

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

In Putonghua it's Wuji Men. There are several systems called Wujiquan but they're all readily identifiable as "internal" styles. Have a look on YouTube for Wuji Quan and see if you recognise anything.

7. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

Thanks. I had a look at a few videos on YouTube. One or two bits looked familiar but most of it was more like what I think of in my naivety as tai chi.

8. Mianbao shifu

Mianbao shifu Just standing around

9. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member