Is bjj a form of budo?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Vinny Lugo, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

2. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

No. Budo is a Japanese term. BJJ is not Japanese. (Though it's origins may be)

3. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I tend to think of budo as being broader than a style of personal combat so probably you could say that elements of BJJ (newaza) can be considered part of budo

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

As Budo is just Japanese for martial arts then yes?

5. Dunc

Depends on your definition I suppose

It's more of a philosophy or approach to life, of which the martial arts are a part

6. TakadaDojoKeith

TakadaDojoKeith Valued Member

Well, I'm not much for arguing over names. But I will say that I was surprised by how similar some of the old kosen judo stuff looks to BJJ when I first saw it. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_8toXeCbiU"]Kosen Judo - YouTube[/ame]

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The similar ruleset allowed for similar evolution, truth is truth after all, I think BJJ split off before kosen judo was a thing, but id have to check those dates!

8. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

From my understanding, budo is the name for all arts that stemmed from Jujitsu. So since BJJ came from judo, which came from ju jitsu, wouldn't it be budo?

9. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

No , budo generally pertains to Japanese martial/war like arts.

10. Dead_pool

Budo is the japanese name for martial arts, so if your japanese, you could argue Budo is a martial art for yourself.

However if your not Japanese, calling a non Japanese art by a Japanese name, is kinda misleading.

The name Budo brings up more issues then it solves, so it adds nothing to the discussion by trying to call it a budo.

11. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i wiki'd "budo" then clicked on jigoro kano's bio. i've read the page before of course, but never noticed this bit. kind of interesting quote, and actually talking about some of the topics that have come up in this conversation.

anyway here's the quote, found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanō_Jigorō#International_Olympic_Committee

12. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Then what is the Japanese word for non Japanese martial arts? My experience of Chinese martial arts taught in Japan suggests that this kind of linguistic differentiation is a western thing.

13. bassai

No idea mate , to be honest it's not something I'd ever given any thought to.
    I must admit though , I personally don't like to use the term budo , as in my experience , the people who claim to be doing budo tend to be inferring that they are doing "the real thing" if you get what I mean.

14. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

The real thing? Wouldn't that be Bujutsu systems?

15. bassai

No , implication always seems to be that Budo is more "pure" and "better" than lesser systems.

16. TakadaDojoKeith

Sorry, I misread the title of the thread. I thought it was about whether or not BJJ was a for of judo. Sorry about that.

But as to whether or not they're a form of budo, I dunno. There are some pretty large gaps in cultural outlook between Brazil and Japan. Also, it seems the people who founded BJJ made a conscious break with the past and weren't so interested being another Japanese art.

17. Dunc

A bit of an aside, but as someone who studies both BJJ and Japanese styles I see a lot of the Japanese culture in the academy that I train in

There are photos of Maeda and the Brazilian Masters on the wall and the etiquette is pretty much the same as a Japanese dojo

18. TakadaDojoKeith

Well, I'm not an expert on BJJ, but the schools I've been in usually had Brazilians on the wall. The vibe I get from a lot of BJJ guys is that the jujutsu that matters is the Brazilian version. They accept the Japanese lineage and sometimes honor Maeda, but it seems like BJJ is a very Brazilian thing to most of them with its own ethos and philosophy.

19. Dead_pool

Gracie Barra has been known to push the Japenese cultural bit, Back when BJJ first hit the UK, its culture was very relaxed and based around Vale Tudo/ MMA, Its always seem'd like that from the videos i've seen from brazil too (arte suave etc)

I wonder whether its japanfication is a modern thing based on student retention/expectation?

20. baby cart

baby cart Valued Member

kakutogi?