Hello, kungfu terms

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by justforfun123, Sep 18, 2016.

1. justforfun123

justforfun123 New Member

Hello everyone,
    I just registered, and I wanted to ask for chinese kungfu terms (with characters and the overall meaning of those terms).
    I looked around and only saw the glossary for chinese martial arts styles in the internet and not much about the forms or other related terms of kung fu.
    I am collecting these to make a glossary for them.
    So, please help me with this endeavor.

Thank you :)

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Like in all languages, there are nuances and terms can mean or be interpreted, dependant on the knowledge and experience of use of said word.

Is this a general question or are there specifics you need help with? Because otherwise, we might as well dig a out a phrase book.

Also, Chinese has a universal written language yet, it's verbally spoken in different dialects. So any romanisation to English (once again dependant on the school) it'll be written differently.

We have had threads before when we had member argue for pages over the correct use of
    Kung Fu/Gung Fu/Gong Fu and Wushu/MoSut etc etc

3. justforfun123

justforfun123 New Member

I would like them in mandarin and in simplified form. If possible, anything regarding martial arts terms(with chinese characters and their meanings).

Since I am making a glossary, I would like all the knowledge regarding it and I will sort it out later.

Thank you :)

4. huoxingyang

huoxingyang Valued Member

Sounds like you want to complete this project but want us Internet strangers to do all the hard work for you. Also, it sounds like a massive, open-ended project... how much detail do you want to go into? Names of body parts? Instructions heard in a class?

I think a better approach would be for you to define what terms you want to include in your project, do some preliminary work and then maybe ask others to check the bits you are unsure of. Otherwise we might as well just throw a dictionary at you :p

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I would suggest that OP does as much as he can. And anything he gets really stuck with, then come back here and argue over the word "mo"

(yeh, I'm Canto...what of it?) :)

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

What are you actually doing?

7. justforfun123

justforfun123 New Member

It is an open-end project. The glossary will all be sorted out and kept at the martial arts planet and some other sites depending on if they want it.

I have been starting to collect the data from other sites too, I have gotten most of the martial arts styles names from them(wiki has most of it down). But I am finding it difficult in searching for names of the terms below the styles.

Like 桩法 - not sure of the exact translation, but it is related to the art of taking root i.e stances like horse stance / etc.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated :)

8. justforfun123

justforfun123 New Member

Cantonese is also okay, as long as you have the chinese characters for it :)

9. Hannibal

Ask in your local Chinese community center - it will be much quicker

10. justforfun123

justforfun123 New Member

Just making a glossary :)

11. justforfun123

justforfun123 New Member

Unfortunately, there ain't one. And I realize that it might take some time before I get what I need, so I am asking other places too, it will be a collection of all the resources.

12. Hannibal

Again though, why? It s a lot of work for what will be a pretty meaningless endeavour

13. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Greetings,

Besides asking others to post, what sort of research are you doing on your own? I know you said a bit about this, but what are you expecting others to do that you can't do yourself? This is where I am confused.

Also curious what MA you study? Or why you are doing this if you don't study a MA? Usually new people tell us a bit about themselves and their experiences/ interest in MA's.

14. justforfun123

justforfun123 New Member

haha sorry I didn't give a details about it. Basically, I have been studying different types of MA since I was in school, like karate, kickboxing, boxing, ...
    What I learned were basically western styles + with some self-taught chinese style (half-step bengquan and arhat 18 hands).

Regarding this endeavor, it is not due to any specific reasons, but just to collect knowledge about chinese martial terms, since I have been learning chinese for some time now and looking at the wuxia dramas, I find them really fascinating. So, I wanted to learn more about the instructional basic terms but I thought might as well, try to collect as much terms as possible and put them all together.

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Here are 70 CMA terms that may help you to start.

Throwing skills:

1st Side:

踢(Ti) - Forward kick,
    撮(Cuo) - Scooping kick,
    粘(Zhan) - Sticking kick,
    撞(Zhuang) - Trunk hitting,
    靠(Kao) - Advance squeeze,

2nd Side:

彈(Tan) - Spring,
    挑(Tiao) - Hooking kick,
    纏(Chan) - Foot entangling,
    合(He) - Inner hook,
    掏(Tao) - Inner knee seizing,

3rd Side:

穿(Chuan) - Fireman’s carry,
    撿(Jian) - Foot picking,
    沖(Chong) - Inner kick,
    掛(Gua) - Inner heel sweep,
    刀(Dao) - Inner sickle,

4th Side:

别 (Bie) - Break,
    撩(Liao) - Back kick,
    扣(Kou) - Knee seizing,
    切(Qie) - Front cut,
    削(Xiao) - Sickle hooking,

Front Door:

擰(Ning) - Wheeling,
    撳(Qin) - Pressing,
    摟(Lou) - Spine lock,
    搵(Wen) – Lifting,
    揣(Chuai) – Overhead,

Back Door:

勾(Gou) - Back sickle,
    抱(Bao) - Back raising,
    轟(Hong) - Shoving,
    裏(Li) - Back inner hook,
    擓(Kuai) - Leg bending lift,

Grip fight skills & defense skills:

撕(Si) - Tearing
    崩(Beng) - Cracking
    捅(Tong) - Striking push
    褪(tun) - Hand pushing
    肘(Zhou) - Elbow pressing

蓋(Gai) - Covering hands
    攞(Lou)- Pulling hands
    搖(Yao) - Body-shaking hands
    捯(Dao) - Reverse arm-holding
    抖(Dou) – Shaking

分(Fen) - Separate hands
    掖(Ye) - Hand tucking
    引(Yin) - Arm guiding
    捧(Peng) - Arm raising
    架(Jia) - Elbow Locking

圈(Quan) – Under hook
    抄(Chao) - Over hook
    抹(Mo) - Wiping
    偏(Pian) – Head circling
    夾(Jia) – Clamping head

摘(Zai) – Helmet removing
    摀(Wu) – Face covering
    速(Su) – Forehead push
    墬(Zhui) - Sticking drop
    撈(Lao) – Leg seize

環(Huan) – Neck surrounding
    托(Tuo) – Chin pushing
    封(Feng) – Throat/waist blocking
    撒(Sa) - Casting
    飄(Piao) - Floating hand

吸(XI) - Sticky
    摟(LOU) - Outer hook
    勾(GOU) - Upper hook
    判(PAN) - Trap
    削(XIAO) - Sickle hooking

蹲(DUN) - Drop down
    跳(TIAO) - Hop
    磨(MO) - Spin
    轟(HONG) - Herd
    摇(YAO) - Shake

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  16. justforfun123

justforfun123 New Member

Thank you very much :)

17. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

No need to make one, you can find much more comprehensive ones in certain Chinese martial arts texts. Most books on kung fu don't have good ones, but a few are really comprehensive.

One really good one (great structure to this book and a lot of the categorization schema common to Chinese arts) is this book, "Kung Fu Elements".

https://www.amazon.com/Kung-Fu-Elements-Shou-Yu-Liang/dp/1889659320

This is a BIG book, with a lot of background on various modern styles as well as good pictures and conditioning programs for both combat and non-combat arts. But its glossary and related appendices with terms and descriptions is one of the best I've ever read.

18. justforfun123

justforfun123 New Member

does it have chinese characters too?

19. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

Yes that's one of the nice things about this particular book, everything is shown in both English and Chinese script. It's a useful book for translating terms between the two, in my opinion.

It's also a very comprehensive manual and it covers everything from weight training and boxing/San Shou practice, to extreme physical conditioning, the gymnastics type stuff common to performances of Wushu. The text is pretty serious treatment of kung fu and doesn't really go into myths et cetera, except to note the legendary origins of certain things. So, it's also full of some great historical references related to Chinese martial arts in general.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016