tips for white belt/too old to compete?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by C.ken.81, Aug 21, 2016.

1. C.ken.81

C.ken.81 New Member

I'm 35 years old, no martial arts background and am just starting judo with the goal of eventually competing when sensei feels i'm ready. Being 35 i feel i need to make up for the wasted years of my youth lol and am jumping wholeheartedly into training. I lift at the gym 3x a week, train at the dojo 3x a week, run 3 miles 1x a week and consider myself to have athletic ability, although i am aware of my weaknesses and areas that need work. I know there is very little judo training i can do independently at home and my question to all the experienced judoka here is this:

looking back on your training, what would you do differently as white belt to really make your training process effective?

Second question: At 35, am i too old to compete?

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice

2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Depends on your goals, I'd say.

Chances for the next Olympics are rather slim, but some contests in the local senior division might be a possibility.

But I'd start training for quite a while first, before considering or focusing too much on competitions.
    You want a good foundation beforehand ^^

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

You're never too old to compete.

macker likes this.
  4. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I know a 62 yr old who wants to do an mma fight.

5. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

35 is still pretty young if you have no outstanding issues. I started Judo at 41, but I don't compete. I have no desire to go the hospital again. I still compete in HEMA though, and even come away with medals about half the time. I don't see why you couldn't do Judo at 35. Some tournaments have newaza divisions, which might be a good place to start, as it's fairly (but not completely) safe.

Regardless, Judo is extremely dangerous, even more so in shiai. Above all, make sure you have good health/long term disability insurance if you're in the US. There is a fairly good chance that you could sustain an injury that would keep you from working for a while. I was out for about three months with a broken fibula. I now sport a plate and four screws in my ankle.

The key is to be careful. If your spidey sense says "this is a bad idea", then don't do it. Usually that will happen when you're asked to do randori with a very large white belt. That may be what happened to me. :whistle: I didn't listen to the inner voice that said "don't do it". Now I'm becoming a Terminator one piece at a time. ;)

6. C.ken.81

C.ken.81 New Member

Woah - Judo-"the not-so-gentle-way" lol

i am not allowed to do any stand-up randori sparring at white belt-probably for the reasons you just mentioned lol. Only ne waza that is closely monitored by one of the 2 senseis.

I am not in a rush to compete, although it is a goal- I just want to learn the most efficient way possible and not waste time.

7. C.ken.81

C.ken.81 New Member

I'm having a blast though! it's awesome! i'm 6'-2", 215lbs and have to learn not to muscle my way through ne waza, but relax .......working on it lol

macker likes this.
  8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

There are competitions out there that cater to masters/veterans, which often take the form of 35+ divisions, so you're the baby in that age class.

You might have some trouble finding good competitions for adult beginners, but that will depend on where you live. If there isn't anything, it might be worthwhile trying to organise interclubs with a handful of local clubs - depending on insurance issues, you might need to go through your national federation.

But you're not too old, just don't expect to be as fast as the 21 year olds - you'll just have to be smarter.

9. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm 35, and a new-comer to the martial arts. I understand exactly how you feel about wanting to make up for wasted time.

Honestly, as long as you don't injure yourself, just keep doing what you're doing. My workout schedule is about the same as yours. My martial arts training is what drives me, and working out is a means to an end for me.

I don't believe you're too old to compete. I still compete at 35. Full-contact Karate is hard on the body. However, if you train smart and take the time to recover, it's perfectly doable.

It's good to meet someone with the same mindset as me. Good luck with your training!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  10. C.ken.81

C.ken.81 New Member

Kyokushin Karate was my second choice! It looks pretty effective!

How often do you guys train Judo in a week? I am still trying out clubs here in the toronto area. One is kinda pricey for 3x a week, the other is more affordable for 2x a week for beginners and then 4x a week for intermediates. Both places are very reputable and the Senseis are well known amongst senior judoka.

11. C.ken.81

C.ken.81 New Member

i am still trying to fit in lifting at the gym 3x a week and judo training 2-3x a week. New muscles are sore every morning after judo training-like every muscle in my neck lol. it feels good though knowing that i'm conditioning new muscles from new movements.

12. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

I had a coworker who was in his 60s and active in judo.. he bounced us all over the walls when we trained.. His input into the combat judo karate system that I learned in the Philippines made things come together that I had forgotten about decades ago

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Try both places and see which one fits best with your other training and commitments. Also, try training 2 and 3 times a week and see which one you recover better from.

You might also need to reconsider how often you lift. What lifting program do you do?

14. C.ken.81

C.ken.81 New Member

I was doing layne norton's ph3 program up until i started judo, but it requires me to lift 4x a week minimum. I'll be lucky if i can squeeze that in as well as judo 2 or 3x a week. I am changing my routine and alternating upper and lower body days. Bench, OHP, accessory work for upper body and
    BB squats, sumo deadlift, accessory work for lower body. My workouts usually fall in the 60-90 minute range depending on how my body feels and how much time i have.