kuk sool won edinburgh?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Marku85, May 30, 2016.

1. Marku85

Marku85 Valued Member

Hi all

Has anyone ever trained with the guys from the Edinburgh branch , thoughts?

I have exposure to Hapkido when I was in college so I was curious how similar this art is to that?

Thanks for your replies

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm from Edinburgh. I had a friend train in KSW, couldn't say which club (it was in edinbrugh though). He seemed to enjoy it :)

3. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Honestly, it really depends on which Hapkido you studied. There are some schools who call themselves Hapkido that are the same as Kuk Sool Won.

Here's the white to black belt curriculum if you want to compare:

http://www.kuksoolwon.com/site/about-kuk-sool-won/testing-requirement-chart

Even if it's not the same forms/techniques, I invite you to give it a try. We are a world-wide art with direct oversight on all schools to ensure quality of instruction is the same in every school franchised under the art.

4. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

And vice-versa. For decades now, kuksul people are calling themselves hapkido. Similar roots, but our style has more influence from chinese martial arts in korea during the 1950's-1960's and thus has forms and palm striking/pressure point/animal styles/forms.
    Whatever your choice, as I would say with any martial art, make sure your teacher can answer the "why's" and "how's"...

5. Geetarman

Geetarman Valued Member

I haven't trained at the Edinburgh branch but the main instructors are both Master level and well respected.

In fact Master Gavin took my 1st grading towards 2nd Degree, tough but fair Master.

From what I know they train hard, the guys I've met from there are all very decent, well worth a look

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Got a review from my friend, he says when he was training that it was a good place with great instructors. As far as he knows they moved down to Leith Walk. Hasn't trained in like 4 years though, so he doesn't know about the place now.

7. Marku85

Marku85 Valued Member

Thanks for your posts everyone I appreciate it !

8. kuksool_keith

kuksool_keith Valued Member

I used to be an Assistant Instructor at the Edinburgh school. Well respected Masters that run the school. The Leith hall is fairly new, fully matted.

Just go check the class out, see how it is