Best wing chun book ?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by DominikDoherty, May 1, 2016.

1. DominikDoherty

DominikDoherty Valued Member

I have decided I am gonna get back into wing chun and as I am teaching myself I would like to find a good book to help me along with it I have already gotten the first form down and need to commit it to memory can anyone suggest a good book to help me out ?

2. geezer

geezer Valued Member

You don't teach yourself wing chun. Books and videos are a good supplement to qualified instruction, that's all.

querist likes this.
  3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell

Your won't learn any actual Wing Chun from any book, so you may as well have a good read whilst not learning a martial art

In all seriousness the price if one book will be equivalent to one lesson.... And the lesson will teach you infinitely more

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Books can't look back at you and give you corrections and feedback. Books make lousy sparring, drilling partners.

Great as supplements, but can't replace a qualified instructor or partners to practice with.

I am curious, how can you say you have the first form down if you don't have it memorized yet? Those statements seem rather conflicting.

I wish you all the best in finding a good instructor! :)

That is a GREAT book! Loved it! Second the recommendation!

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

learn from a teacher > learn from a video > learn from a book

6. DominikDoherty

guys teaching myself is literally the ONLY option I have right now because I talked to an old wing chun teacher I knew that lived close by and he is gonna be in England almost indefinitely and the only place that teaches wing chun is in Belfast and I live in omagh so thats too far away for me this is the only option I have.

7. DominikDoherty

I mix up my words sometimes sorry about that now when i say that I have the form down I mean I know the movements I just need to put them in the correct order and remember what they are and like I said teaching myself wing chun is the only option right now because the teacher I knew is in England and wont be back for a long time of course instructors are always the best option but there arent any instructors that are close to me because I live in Omagh and the only place I could go to do wing chun is in Belfast and that is simply too far away for me.

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Then train in whatever is available to you.

9. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

If you have already begun to learn the form from a teacher nothing wrong with getting a book, and or a good video of the form and using them as notes to consolidate what you know. But learning new material from a book will just teach you a load of bad habits.

One reason why the martial arts would is so big is that different arts have different things to teach. Why not take this opportunity to learn an art that compliments your win chung?. There is boxing or westling / judo. If you prefer he Chinese arts, Hung ga, and white crane are related to win chung.

Martial arts are a Marathon not a sprint, in a few years or so you will be able to find a new win Chung teacher. You will be much better placed to take up your win chung study again if you have a better understanding of striking, grappling, throwing, use of angles etc.

10. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Maybe try looking around a bit more where you are. I looked at a tutors database for Omagh and found a wing chun teacher available locally.

LFD

11. DominikDoherty

really ? can you give me the details about that possibly ?

12. DominikDoherty

I have had to learn the form by myself and bad habits are what I will have to put up with until I can find a teacher and I am learning an art right now that wing chun would fit perfectly with Aikido because the way I am taught there is a lot of centre line theory in it and a lot of shifting the weight and hand deflections like in wing chun =) and I have waited long times for things and I can wait for another wing chun teacher again.

13. Ben Gash CLF

Or you could get good at karate.

14. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

You've learned nothing without the details. Those can't be picked up from video or book.

You're wasting your time and assuming you can get someone to teach you in future you will have to do far more work to correct the bad habit than if you just waited.

So you're taking time away from an art you actually have an instructor for in order to mess around and learn nothing of value.

Having trained quite a while in both... no. There are a few similarities but they are non-transferable and mostly superficial.

Then wait, stop wasting your time, and train something you have an actual teacher for.

15. DominikDoherty

but I dont want to do karate I wanted to do Wing Chun but I cant find a teacher so teaching myself is the only option I have.

16. DominikDoherty

Wing Chun is something I will train on the side like pick up a bit here and there and I'm not taking time away from it also the style of Aikido that I do there is a lot of systema and wing chun mixed into it so anything I learn from wing chun can help and add to what I do. Like I said I want to do Wing Chun I really do but I dont have a teacher anymore so teaching myself is the ONLY option I have you may not think thats a good idea but thats the only option for me sure I may not learn the forms the right way, I may not learn the proper theory behind it all and yes it wont be the same without a teacher but right now for me it is the only option I have.

17. SWC Sifu Ben

So you're not learning the forms right, the drills right, the theory right.... what exactly IS it you think you're learning? Because it's surely not wing chun.

18. DominikDoherty

I knew right from the beggining that I wouldnt be learning it correctly when I started to teach myself I knew that it wouldnt be the same as having a teacher. Anything that I learn would be small such as arm movement, footwork or chain punching. It wont be anything deep as if i was being taught by someone. I just want to do Wing Chun and I need help with it there is literally no other option other than getting the bus up to Belfast each week to learn and that is not an option for me. If you can give me anything helpful such as a good resource for learning Wing Chun books,dvds etc. then please share it I want to know about it otherwise if you are just gonna sit there and tell me there is no point just dont bother.

19. SWC Sifu Ben

It's not what you want to hear, but truth sucks. I could make you probably about 100 hours of DVD alone on just basics alone, full of details, angles, and explanations, but it still wouldn't help. You can't learn without an instructor. You need someone who can correct you. If you can't find an instructor in wing chun, train something else you CAN find an instructor in.

You're not teaching yourself, you're deluding yourself. You're not learning wing chun, you're learning nonsense.

20. Ben Gash CLF

You should have a serious think about that. You would get far more from training at a karate school on a regular basis than you ever will trying to learn Wing Chun from a book.