McGregor gone?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Mushroom, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Earlier today, a tweet from McGregor hinting at retirement, some may have seen it.
    But we all know that Twitter accounts are usually "hacked" or used as pranks.

However McGregor has now been pulled from UFC 200. Citing that he has refused to take part in any form of promotional activities for the event.

Is the Notorious One really going to retire as 145 Champ at 27 years old?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  2. Mushroom

Updates are coming in from Kavangh (coach) and other media sources that this is not a joke.

3. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I saw this earlier in the day and thought it was just his sick sense of humour. I'm still hoping it's some sort of twisted joke.

4. Mushroom

I say strip him (moot point if he retires) and turn Aldo/Edgar into a full on title fight.

It'll be interesting to see what the reasoning (if) for the retirement. Joe Rogan said it might be linked to the recent death of an MMA fighter in Ireland.
    And McGregor has been not as vocal of late.

So will see. Could be an awesome troll job.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

He was actually cornering the guy who didn't die in that fight. He was essentially a few feet away when the guy died in the cage. Might have resonated with him.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

He's worth $10 million according to some sources. Combined with the above posts, would make sense to kick back and enjoy the good life.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I called it before his last fight, 90% ACL tears do not heal without surgery, his plan has always been, make money, get out before significant brain injury. Job done.

8. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

A bit surprised by this but at the end of the day it's him who puts himself and his health in the cage.

If he's still willing to fight though then it just sounds like Dana being ridiculous as usual.

9. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

He's always said he was going to make a bunch of money and get out. Then again, I genuinely believed David Haye would stay retired.

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

It could be any of the reasons so far. The fighter death must have had some effect but its also very easy to see Mcgregor moaning about money and not getting his way. Also easy to think that he built his entire marketability on being the best and now he got beat and maybe he's just getting out while he can. There's also so many rumours about the drugs and hookers and partying that its not too hard to think he's also just said screw it I'm a millionaire.

But if he does retire this hurts his legacy quite a bit I think

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

If you really are worth $10million then yeah, why put yourself through the cycle of camps and cutting to get punched in the face for money?

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I disagree. I think that being abrupt and unexpected really is excellent. A hundred years from now when we are dead and gone and MMA "historians" will talk about McGregor and his rise to fame, how far he could have went and potential opponents.

Personally I think he retires until a good striker wins a belt. Then he comes out of retirement for a few fights.

Anyway, still a fan of Notorious.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think ending on a loss does hurt his legacy. Kind of leaves a "not as good as he said he was" end to the story.
    I mean good luck to him though. He played the MMA fame game better than anyone.

14. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

His choice but I agree with Smitfire.

Gutted the Diaz rematch won't happen now.

15. Knee Rider

Also part of me is wondering if he's just bottled the pre fight pressers knowing he hasn't got the amunition coming off of the loss.

16. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

He doesn't seem like the sort of person to bottle out of a press conference. I think there's more to this than meets the eye.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Conor McGregor - I want more money. I do more for the UFC than all the other fighters combined.
    Dana White - No.
    Conor McGregor - See ya later then.

18. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I dunno. One of the things that made me jump on his train later than others was for all the hype his mouth got him everything I watched of his in conferences was super scripted like he walked in with a list of one liners he had to get out. He built a lot of his appeal off that and he can't really do that when the world just saw him get tapped out. And without being mean towards Nate Diaz, Mcgregor was derailed by Nate Diaz. It's not like he lost in a superfight or to a p4p great he lost to a very good fighter who was never really at the super top end of his weight class. I don't doubt there's more to it than that but it wouldn't surprise me.

19. Knee Rider

Maybe not 'bottled' but I don't see how he's going to maintain his persona and keep his modus operandi against Diaz given that he got fairly and squarely put away. His entire brand is predicated on being honest to beyond the point of arrogance about his superiority to his opponent and clearly it'd be hard to maintain. Probably not the reason why he's dropped out but I'm curious if it crossed his mind.

Overall it's a pretty tame fizzleout to go now. Perhaps it's money, or perhaps he just genuinely questions himself now. After all it's not just the press conference but the entire media circus... And he has refused to promote the fight.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  20. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

On a purely selfish level, I am sad to see such an exciting and entertaining fighter go. If he leave now after making such a big name and a load of money with most of health intact... good for him!

I wonder if it's a play though.... retire so that Bellator can lure him out of retirement to do some superfights with Shamrock, Gracie, Steve Jennum, or Kimbo... and make some serious money!