Writing Capoeira

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Steel Accord, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Steel Accord

Steel Accord Valued Member

So I'm writing a fantasy story and the main character's fighting style is based on capoeira. I've written fight scenes before but as a student of Kung Fu I'm somewhat at a loss of how to portray some of the subtleties of the style.

-Are there any specific terms I should know or could use in the context of training or fight scenes?

-Apart from the more kick heavy and wide sweeping moves, what are some other characteristics of capoeira that are less apparent but still unique to it?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The footwork. I can use it in sparring (the jinga).

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Ginga not jinga.

Not unique to capoeira but you'll find lots of:

Sweeps
    Throws
    headbutts and using the head to push people (they use the head in lots of weird and wonderful ways and not just for standing on)
    Slaps
    Elbows
    Knees

It's not all kicks and acrobatics, although they are probably the big thing in capoeira and stat the art is famous for.

Music plays a big part too. And there could be some religious stuff (ask the user Dormindo, he's our capo expert, he won't admit it though).

4. Steel Accord

Thank you, very helpful. The religious stuff probably won't factor because the character teaching the protagonist this martial art is not from Earth. The style I'm inventing is just based on capoeira so I thought I would sprinkle some truth in the fiction.

5. Bozza Bostik

Here's a list of capoeira techniques, straight from wiki, obviously you're lazy ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_capoeira_techniques

and some more and more general terms can be found here:

https://thecapoeirablog.wordpress.com/capoeira-terms/

But I wouldn't use the Portuguese terms as very few people reading the book would understand what the hell you are talking about. You'll soon put people off reading the thing when they are checking the internet every 5th word to understand what the heck is going on and to find that the guy actually only did a front kick or handstand.

6. Steel Accord

I'm not lazy. :(

Forgive me for thinking "martial arts planet" would be a good source of first hand advice for properly portraying a martial art.

7. Bozza Bostik

If the guy is not from Earth and the techniques are only based on capoeira, make up our own terms.

Front kick = Nvcndkgrh'gughrehg-ek'rhgeh'gkjeh
    Cartwheel = 7386<>78/6565(632

They're great names. Use them. Pay me later. Thank you.

8. Bozza Bostik

I'd just watch a ton of capoeira videos, people playing in the roda, and go from there.

You'll notice there's lots of spinning, turning, inverted techniques. You could use that as a base.

9. Pretty In Pink

What, like Ed Sheeran? :D

Just kidding, I thought I'd get the spelling wrong. Still, I can use it ^^

10. Bozza Bostik

Google pictures explained the Ed Sheeran joke.

The ginga isn't much different to FMA female triangle footwork, so it should be easy to pick up.

11. Pretty In Pink

Technically that's where I picked it up from originally, but Iuse it more like the capoeirestas when it suits me.

12. Bozza Bostik

Like to confuse people and hide your attacks? Do you find it works?

The ginga in Angola and Regional are quite different. It's less 'robotic' and stylised IMO in Angola.

13. Pretty In Pink

Works great if you modify it accordingly. I only use it when I'm playing but it does work.

14. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Bozza pretty much covered it.