Gaining weight

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by stephiosity, Nov 15, 2015.

1. stephiosity

stephiosity New Member

Hiya! Im a 22 year old woman who does a few sessions of muay thai and karate a week. Im 5ft 2 inches and weigh 7 stone 2.
    I would like to be 8 stone 2 ideally! I consume a poor amount of calories I must admit due to getting bored of eating and eating rubbish food.
    can someone give me a calorie count or a diet plan.

regards.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

Can you give us an idea of what your diet is like at the moment?

We have many people here who can help you out, so I'm sure someone will advise further.

3. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Eat more :) Ideally clean and good protein.

Find out what your BMR is, and increase whatever you're supposed to be eating by 500-1000 calories a day. If you're not used to eating that much, or find it hard to "force feed" yourself then implement calorie dense foods and maybe even shakes to your diet. Or just make some ice cream milkshakes! If you want to gain mostly muscle, you would need to work out eating a lot more clean.

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

calorie count?,more than currently

meal plan? you need a nutritionist/dietitian/whatever they're called where you live. it would be unethical and possibly illegal to give you one without being one.

basic, generalized, nutritional info? that i can do (and you can talk it over with a nutritionist to fine tune things and correct any mistakes in what i say:

food is made of:
    -protein: building blocks, mainly.
    -carbohydrates and fats: mainly energy sources, mainly composed of carbon and hydrogen.
    -fiber: generally indigestible carbs usually not counted towards calorie counts but which play a role in gastrointestinal function (by which i mean healthy poop).
    -minerals, vitamins and such: smaller elements generally not counted towards calorie counts.

protein, carbs and fats are called macronutrients because they comprise the majority of what food is made of, and contribute significant amounts of calories.

mass vs health: calories, as a measure of energy, are the main determinant of whether your body grows, shrinks, or stays the same, that being a result of how much you take in via food vs how much your body harnesses via physical activity and physiological processes (what you eat and what you do, rather than how much you eat and do, are in turn part of what determines how/where your body will change). this, however has nothing to do with health except at extremely high or low levels of bodyfat (where it starts to affect the normal functioning of the body). health insofar as it can be generalized, has to do with the physiological processes of your body working properly by themselves, and not being impeded by abnormal factors. for this you need at least some amount of every macronutrient, and plenty of micronutrients (vitemins, minerals, fiber). additionally, you need all essential aminoacids (AAs are the individual pieces that form proteins, and essential ones are ones the body can't build from scratch). without getting into specifics or the endless fight of which food types cause what, variety tends to be the name of the game. you can even lose weight with something as idiotic as eating mcdonald's every day (dumbest idea ever from a health standpoint, and a ticket to an early grave) if you watch your calories, but for health, you are generally best off with a bit of everything, then if you want to gain weight, you eat more, abd if you want to lose, you eat less, within reason.

as a final point, you can't change the size of your skeleton or the morphology of any body part, so for changes in size, your only two manipulable variables are body fat and muscle size. your bones form a frame that determines your basic proportions and shape, that is draped with muscle, the size of which "refines" your shape, for lack of a better term, and that is in turn covered in fat and skin, which determine the definition or lack thereof of the shape of your musculoskeletal system. this is extremely important if you care about aesthetic considerations with regard to fluctuations in weight, because you could easily gain a lot of weight, but if you wish to stay lean, what you'd need is more muscle mass, for which you need strength training in addition to a hypercaloric diet (which of course, you are free to disregard if you don't care about that)

5. stephiosity

stephiosity New Member

weight gain

I eat around 700 calories a day and I realise I get full even by thinking about eating food. I force myself to eat all the meal but my portions are small. It doesn't help I cant cook very well.
    I eat lots of snacks that isn't very good. However, I've started having extreme weight gainer from myprotein.com but haven't seen much improvement. (about a months worth of shakes. 3 times a day.

what foods are really good for weight gain?

6. Fish Of Doom

an average person needs around 2000 calories to stay alive and healthy*. if you have been eating 700 calories a day, your metabolism WILL be completely out of whack, and beyond what simple dietary advice can fix (but it CAN be fixed). you need to go to a medical professional specializing in nutrition and do exactly what they tell you. you do not need supplements and will not benefit from them because you have nothing to supplement in the first place.

*generalization. my own basal metabolic rate is around 1400 at five feet tall and slightly under 60kg, for reference.

7. stephiosity

stephiosity New Member

food

I agree. soemtimes it feels like a vicious circle. cant eat because im full but need to eat to stretch stomach...
    Ive always been small since birth. starting to think its how im supposed to be lol

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Throw some meal replacement drinks (ideally high calorie ones) on top of your regular meals, the liquid format will leave you feeling less full while at the same time giving you a much needed injection of calories.

9. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

At 700 calories. Just eat more. Consider something that will give you an appetite. Some people claim and I myself have found with multi vitamins ( a good one) I have more of an appetite, maybe avoid appetite suppressants like caffeine or smoking? When I cut down my morning coffee intake and just limiting myself to one cup when I woke up. My appetitie went up huge. I thought I was imagining things and tried going back to my regular amount of coffee, like 3 cups when I wake and more throughout the day until around 2pm.

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

When your used to not eating, eating more is difficult, it takes time to increase your apatite, and if you force it, feeling sick wont encourage you to keep at it.

I would keep it simple, if you are medically undernourished see your Dr/GP/Dietician First, Do not see a nutritionist because any fool can call themselves that without qualifications.

After this, increase your daily intake slowly and regularly, an easy way to do this, is to use liquids, and an easily accessible, nutrient and calorie dense liquid is milk, start off with an extra half cup a day, make this a regular thing, and increase slowly from there.

(use whatever milk your normal type is, and slowly change to a higher fat version when your used to drinking a decent volume, and you can stomach it, I still struggle with a pint of fullfat myself)

If you wish, add milkshake mix to it, its all extra calories.

11. stephiosity

stephiosity New Member

food

Thank you very much for your advice guys. you helped me out a lot and its my first post to this site. =] thank you

12. Fish Of Doom

“Do not see a nutritionist because any fool can call themselves that without qualifications.“

that depends, degree titles change from location to location. in argentina, they are called nutritionists (the basic degree is a “licenciature in nutrition“, and the job title is “nutritionist“. find out via the local university system what the medical profession involved in nutrition is called in your country, and visit one of those.

13. stephiosity

stephiosity New Member

Well im from Britain and theyre called a dietitian and you have to have done sport and exercise science at university I think. Again Im only 75% sure. I shall do more research into the subject.

14. Fish Of Doom

in that case, what he said :D

15. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

16. stephiosity

stephiosity New Member

Thats really useful information :) thank you very much.

17. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

my friends did a 2 week online course and are allowed to be called a nutritionist
    dietitians have to do postgrad medically recognised qualifications