Lucha Libre trainers? Got a question

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by furinkazan, Aug 29, 2015.

1. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

I've been looking more into wrestling styles since joining my dojo's Shin Atemi and BJJ classes, and I was wondering about Lucha Libre after finding out theres a group in london who teach and do shows for it.

It seems quite theatrical with its use of more jumping moves and the obvious things like the suits and story elements in the ring, but I was wondering if it has the common elements with catch wrestling and other styles in example that make it useful in a competative/self defense context? It still looks like a good laugh at any rate, but how does its technical aspects make it similar or different to the other wrestling styles

2. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I saw the name of this thread and thought some new Mexican shoeware range was out :)

3. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I'd look into luta livre for a more catch wrestling/no-gi experience.

4. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

piledrive those bunions away

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

pro-wrestling has its roots in "real" wrestling and grappling arts. Back in the day pro-wrestlers had and were expected to have a background in freestyle, catch or whatever and the line between wrestling and pro was not so clear. That's not the case these days.

One thing about pro-wrestling is that you'll certainly learn to take a bump or knock and be expected to go with it and carry on, which is a good thing in "self defence".

Honestly, bugger all that combative / SD lark..if you like the look of it, do it! I got asked to join a pro-wrestling club, regret saying no. The training would have been fun!

Now where's my Blue Demon mask?

6. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

I'm not near anywhere there does it, but I frequent london on a monthly basis. I figured it might be some good fun :)

7. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I frequent London on a never basis since my Tottenham days :)

8. Bozza Bostik

I thought you were North West way!

I am a bit of a fan of Lucha Libre and if I didn't have some minor health problems, I would go and work in Mexico for a bit so I could experience the thing. I recently met a Mexican woman who owned a bar near one of the arenas were the wrestling took place, it was frequented by fans and wrestlers alike. She told me some interesting stories and gave me quite an insight into the culture and how big it is in Mexico.

Can't beat some of the old El Santo and Blue Demon movies. Really cheesy films where the two luchadors go off and fight zombies, aliens, vampires or international crime...they always save the day just in time for the nights lucha event! Hilariously bad.

I wouldn't recommend them though! :)

Cant find a clip in English.

[​IMG]

9. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

I am northwest, I have close friends down south, so I do end up travelling about. I was down there a few months back checking a Bajiquan seminar on one visit :) If I get a chance to try stuff I usually take it :)

I'll have a look, I love a good cheese film fest :)

10. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

How south? I'm just near brighton

11. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Bournemouth area

12. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

If you're in the North West, then Team Kaobon in Liverpool do Luta Livre: http://www.kaobon.com/schedule.html

I did a seminar there a few years back and it was excellent.

13. Knee Rider

I do know them. Have met a guy from there who spoke very highly of the training :)

14. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Is Luta Livre and alternative spelling or the term or is it in context of the Vale Tudo style I've read of?

That could lead to concerns about appropriate training wear:

[​IMG]

15. Bozza Bostik

Luta livre is the Brazilian grappling art. Lucha Libre is pro-wrestling from Mexico.

I think they both mean "free fight" in their own languages (Mexican and Brazilian :p)

What's the school called, Furi? Is it The London School of Lucha Libre?

16. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

yeah i was thinking of that one :)

17. Knee Rider

Looks like a good laugh!

18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Portuguese mate :)

19. Bozza Bostik

It's from Brazil mate. They speak Brazilian.

20. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

They actually speak Fluminense, Mineiro, Sulista, Baiano, Indefindio, Nordestino and Amazonico.