Aikijutsu vs Jujutsu (effective wrist locks and throws)

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by MrReal, Aug 19, 2015.

1. MrReal

MrReal New Member

If I wanted to learn wrist throws, wrist locks, and the like, which one would I do? I watched demos of both Aikijutsu and Jujutsu. The jujutsu one looked a lot more appealing but I don't know...

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Brazilian?

3. MrReal

MrReal New Member

Nah, Japanese Jutjutsu.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

What are your aims from learning aforementioned techniques. Both have them, though the ability of both arts to apply them in any meaningful way varies greatly

5. MrReal

MrReal New Member

Getting into law enforcement. Wanna know what would be more useful if I wanted to put a combative person in handcuffs.

6. Hannibal

Neither to be honest

BJJ or Wrestling are far superior for C&R purposes, but the academy will have their own approved and recommended techniques that you vary at your risk.

With cuffing you will need the individual either complaint or controlled; if compliant no lock require, if non compliant you will need them controlled and both suggestions above are superior in that regard.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  7. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

See whats available . Check out the classes.....

heed Hanniballs advice around the law enforcement having their training.

I am biased ...jujitsu has worked well for me over the past 22 plus years ..

Smurf

8. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

The Russian tie is magic for that. Just sayin'.

Generally you're going to have a hard time cuffing someone who is actually trying to escape or fight back while remaining standing. To isolate a limb for manipulation you need to immobilize the torso. That's rarely possible without taking the person down.

Wrist locks work much better for escaping your opponent's grips than for maintaining any sort of continued control. They really add some teeth to your weapon retention techniques but they pretty much suck for restraint.

9. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Also it might help to post what country you're working in. From what I can tell, US and UK policing are very different with regards to equipment and use of force.

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Also........ Unless your very lucky the aikijutsu won't be from any Japanese tradition, so at Best you'll be practising what one man thinks is best for managing aggression.

That also applies to the jujutsu too (but there is a bit more of it around)

If in doubt, cacc, BJJ, sambo or Judo are all excellent foundations, but all require a little tweaking for SD.

11. Jumonkan

Jumonkan Valued Member

Im pretty late to this but. Aikijujutsu wouldnt be good for police work. Jujutsu or Judo. I wouldnt suggest Bjj for police work the last thing you want to do is wrestle on the ground where a criminal could get your gun away from you.

12. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Hannibal is a serving police officer and he disagrees with you.

13. Hannibal

I wish people who were not in the field would avoid commenting on tactical and operational choices - it is not good for my blood pressure and displays a massive ignorance of what arresting actually entails - on the ground is EXACTLY where I want a non-compliant individual

yes...yes he does

14. rabid_wombat

rabid_wombat Valued Member

The BJJ black belt that we're under was a LEO and is constantly being brought in to train current and incoming LEOs, and many of his direct students are in the field as well. All of them would concur with Hannibal's view point.

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

This is how the Chinese police train. There are many good skills in this clip.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsLkqwQrCS8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsLkqwQrCS8[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  16. Jumonkan

Jumonkan Valued Member

Dont care. I wish people that are able to understand people have there own Opinions wouldnt post it makes my blood pressure go up. Id rather throw, then choke then wrestle. Wrestle all you want Id rather tazer them and listen to the advice of my teacher (who happen to be police, security and other law enforcement in the US) I hope you never shot with your gun.

17. Hannibal

Your opinion is worth nothing without knowledge or experience - you have neither

If your views reflect those of your Instructor then his own experience is clearly questionable too - and by the way those three jobs have very different paradigms so again don't speak to what you don't know

18. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Best way to get shot with your own gun? Be unable to grapple.

19. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Does anybody here have any experience with Erik Paulson's CSW system of grappling? Does it really have the best of all techniques from different systems but without gi i.e. Shooto, freestyle and Greco roman wrestling as well as catch as catch can wrestling and elements of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Judo?

What's the ratio of standup/ground grappling in a typical class? Seen a couple of Erik's fights on youtube. Absolutely vicious brutality!

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  20. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Csw and Paulson's material in general is very legit as are his associated instructors.

The curriculum is basically an MMA curriculum.

I have some of Paulson's material on DVD and while he can be a bit fast in his delivery the content is Stella. Greg Nelson's clinch set basically transformed my ability in this range over a month. If you can train with any CSW school then you should deffo give it a look.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016