Learning JKD from a book?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by idols11, Apr 6, 2015.

1. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

There are no JKD schools near me but I am interested in this style.

My question is, is it feasible to learn JKD from a book? And if so, which book would this forum recommend?

I have trained several years in Judo and MMA so I am not a complete beginner. In particular I am interested in knife, stick and trapping because my previous training has not really covered these areas.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

idols11, you certainly can't learn knife from a book.

If you already know some drills, or have a partner who knows some drills, you could practice tham at different ranges, taking into account this video.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk-EVLyIpts"]Paul Vunak Knife Philosophy - YouTube[/ame]

In terms of stick and trapping you could look at Burton Richardson's Combat Kali

http://battlefieldkali.com/

Or the master himself.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw6W1eBI8mo"]Sifu Dan Inosanto JKD Trapping Drills - YouTube[/ame]

Or the other guy in the video.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1_yckX18kI"]Rick Young Jeet Kune Do - Mid Range Crosstraining - Vol.1 - Trapping Explained - YouTube[/ame]

These videos will show you technique, but it isn't really JKD.

For that you'll need an instructor.

3. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

OK Simon thanks for the reply.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Best get an instructor! Where about are you located? Perhaps there is something similar in your area :)

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

If you want stick, knife and trapping, look at kali/eskrima/arnis/FMA/one of the other numerous names.

Or Wing Chun for trapping?

If you really want JKD but there's none about, why not pick one of the arts that heavily influenced the system until you can find an instructor? There's a million awesome arts that Lee pulled from; boxing, muay thai, savate, judo, Wing Chun...then there's Inosanto's take on JKD, so you can add silat and kali.

All good stuff and will keep you out of mischief! :) they'll give you some skills for you JKD studies when you can find a school.

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

What area are you in?

Maybe we can make some recommendations.

7. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

I have already extensively searched Google for local clubs, there are none nearby that are suitable. Unless I want to travel for about an hour on the train.

I will just stick to my current training schedule for now.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

What is your current schedule, out of curiosity?

9. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

At the minute its MMA and Muay Thai, two classes per week.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Then I second Bozza's suggestion. You're already studying two things that fit nicely into a JKD-ish framework. (Depending on your views of what JKD actually is, that is.) A good FMA school would provide the other things you mentioned.

11. Docholiday

Docholiday Valued Member

Teaching yourself an art is a bad idea. You do have some experience and that would help you but you're gonna be wasting time that would be better spent with quality training under an instructor. If stick and knife is what you want find some FMA! people here have offered to help you, you don't have to give your address and pictures of your credit cards, just tell us your city. FMA is not a mainstream art and its trained in parks, garages, and other commercial schools across the country. You might not be able to find an FMA school but the members here know people across the country, let us help you.

My two cents on your search for trapping: trapping is an overrated skill and it takes a lot of skill and timing to develop. You can only use it when transitioning from long to short range and you can't force people to stay in trapping range like you can when clinching in close range or circling and backing up at long range. IMO to efficiently use trapping you have to have knowledge of fighting at long and close range (which your mma and MT will give you). That being said I've had pretty good success applying some "trapping" from my FMA background to boxing. I mainly use parries, passes, and checks, frequently in boxing, I'd say much more than the guys more experienced than myself. When I do it it doesn't really look markedly different than what the other guys do, but I feel my stick work has made me more comfortable with it. It's certainly worth pursuing and for me it's been a bonus carry over from FMA, I just don't think its a vital skill to fighting. Why not just focus on your Muay thai and mma and train it more? If classes aren't offered go and hit the bags and work on your own.

12. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

OK my city is Ayr, Scotland. If anyone can find JKD/FMA I'd appreciate it.

13. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

couldn't you get to Glasgow? Google maps says it's less than an hour away.

Oh, there is Dog Brothers groups in Scotland. I'd recommend you hook up with them.

If you don't know the DB's, it's basically MMA with a stick / eskrima.

This is a video from their Gathering, which is an event to test yourself, not a comp as such though.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CELN-DQI5qc"]Dog Brothers Open Gathering September 23, 2012 - Highlights Stick Fighting - YouTube[/ame]

14. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

Bozza, I'm not really willing to travel that far.

But actually I'm thinking I will stick with MMA/MT for now, thanks to everyone for the help.

15. Docholiday

Docholiday Valued Member

lol, sorry man don't know anyone in Scotland. I'll keep my ears open though.

16. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I think as you're already training then a book might help. At least you can try what you learn and use what works? Not ideal but you seem busy

17. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

18. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I'd of thought JKD was a concept based on what BL had available?
    Better people than me will tell you more

19. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Get a hold of Pat O'Malley from Rapid Arnis.. I know he does hang out on this forum from time to time and I heard that he does have a school or two in scotland and I know of a silat instructor friend of mine who also teaches the fma.. But I would also try to get a hold of some of the guys from the British Council of eskrima, arnis and kali.. they might be able to steer you in the right direction..

20. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

There are a few schools in the city of Glasgow which is just under one hour travel. I suppose if I really want JKD I will have to go there. And I may do so in the future.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.