Wing Chun video ideas?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by SWC Sifu Ben, Jan 15, 2015.

1. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I'm hoping to be able to soon make some videos on wing chun theory, history, concepts, and techniques. I want to be able to make videos for WCers, laypeople, and other martial artists.

The space I'm able to film in is rather limited, as is my time, so I likely won't be able to film any sparring videos for a while and it will be a miracle if I can arrange a time outside of a class where I can get one of my students in the videos.

That said is there anything you as martial artists would be keen to see when and if I can do this?

2. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

Nice. I'd like to see that.

3. 8limbs38112

To be honest I know you said you wouldn't be able to film any sparring videos for a while. But I think it's always fun to see art vs art sparring videos. So if yo could somehow arrange Wing Chun vs. so and so art type of video I'd love to see that. It would probably get alot of hits on youtube. I know there will be verbal wars in the comments section. Alot of wing chun bashers and supporters would probably be going at it. But those kinds of videos are always entertaining to watch.

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Too be brutally honest there are more than enough wing Chun theory and demo clips out there, if you want to share something different show it working again other arts in sparring

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i'm going to have to mostly agree with icefield. at least something that shows how to use wing chun principles without trying to fight using wing chun basics, which is what everyone and their mother does and which does not work for any style ever, because the basics are just exercises, not ways to fight.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  6. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I'd like to see grappling/joint locking techniques from Wing Chun actually. There's 101 videos of striking, movement, training methods, ideas and so forth...but I can't recall anything else.

7. 8limbs38112

I heard Wing Chun suffers from a lack of sparring in most classes anyways. Sifu Ben do yall spar in your wing chun class? If not, why? I talked to a Wing Chunner and he said they don't spar because they are concerned for the safety of the students. Is sparring wing chun really that dangerous?

8. SWC Sifu Ben

True and the "more than enough WC clips" is why I asked for input. The sparring thing is on my to do list but it'll probably take a while longer to get to.

That I can do! And thanks! This is one of those instances where I can't see the trees for the forest :fight3: and that's why I asked for input from you guys!

That I can do! Also I might do some "wing chun techniques for non-WCers" so people can crudely bolt the wing chun techniques on to their existing body mechanics in a JKD-ish manner and hopefully get some of the details right.

9. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I'd like a practical explanation of sticky hands, it's purpose and it's application in fighting. Honestly, I've asked several Chunners about this and I never really got an explanation that made sense to me.

10. SWC Sifu Ben

My students spar once they have enough technique/body mechanics down that they can be introduced to sparring without their technique falling apart. Before that it's training forms, drilling, and body mechanics. Usually once they get a basic level of chi sao it's time to get them sparring. I always want to avoid the trap of my students thinking that chi sao is the same as sparring. It's just a training tool.

The sparring isn't dangerous. All that eye poke, throat strike stuff is nonsense. Eye "striking" doesn't exist in classical wing chun. Using biu sao to stab at someone's face is how you break your own fingers. Overly dangerous techniques aren't suitable for sparring so no throat strikes, and no kicking (as the targets are knee and groin). Those can be saved for compliant partner drills, pad drills, and dummy work. If you can punch someone effectively changing the tool at the end from a fist, into a fak sao for example, isn't that difficult.

I do hesitate to call what my students do "sparring" though. It's fighting practice with pads on but it's different from sparring I've done in muay thai, boxing, mma training, etc. It's much more geared to training self defense/melee-battlefield environment (and it used to be taught weapons first). When my students "spar" there is no down time. I say go and they hit each other until I say stop. There's no throwing shots from the outside, no feeling out your opponent, no in and out. It's going full bore with a constant drive to damage your opponent and it's part of the larger concept of sticking and the kuen kuit of "loi lau hoi sung lat sau jik chung."

That concept (and a few other things) don't translate as well to sparring and I find if I am doing more sportive sparring it usually works better with a blend of boxing/wing chun/muay thai. The concept of constant engagement just doesn't translate as well to a scenario where you have to manage your cardio reserve. See Vitor Belfort's constant gassing in the early UFCs as an example. He'd go full bore and burn himself out if he didn't KO his opponent.

Unfortunately as we've been forced to move to a much smaller location for the time being so we won't be able to do sparring either until summer or we find a new suitable location, whichever comes first.

I'll try to finish an article for that on Saturday when I have the time Panda

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

How about training methodology both examples and rational eg sticky hand context, process and end result?

12. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

Maybe some progression videos? solo movement - basic application against wooden dummy - basic application against compliant partner - application against passively resistant partner - application against actively resistant partner - application against different attacks from resistant partner - use in free-form "sparring" or similar.

13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

We got the Technique Thread, so you can post mini/minor stuff if you like prior to anything else you come up with.

14. Docholiday

Docholiday Valued Member

With all due respect, this sounds like typical WC. You're willing to theorize and talk concepts all day but you're not willing to perform when it comes to actual fighting. If you have advanced students and you stand behind their instruction why not show some sparring? Id hope here we'd see a little more consideration than your typical youtube comment. I know there's good wc out there but it's hard to find. Those that show sparring video are quickly called out by the wc "authorities" as unauthentic but these same authorities never show any sparring if their own because of "the deadly" technique they have. It only hold the system back. Fighters will only begin to respect Wc when they lose to it and when WC begins to show some real fighting. Until then continue to show concepts and talks, just don't wonder why you don't get the same respect as a fighter.

15. 8limbs38112

-Nevermind- edit.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  16. Docholiday

Docholiday Valued Member

I don't know where i said wc is totally useless. Any art is good against the untrained. I don't really care about your unsubstantiated story from a guy who trained wc and beat a 300lb guy. It proves nothing, you're just a random guy who probably doesn't even train. an art that teaches you to beat the untrained is not as good as one that can beat experienced fighters. I do think wc is good. We just need to push the envelope and get wc guys who can fight to show what they have. Wc makes sense in theory it has a simple approach to fighting, there's no reason it can't work against other strikers. It doesn't have the refinement boxing or Muay thai does yet but it has the potential to be good. You can't expect the same respect from a non fighting.art like wc as you can from a fighting art like boxing unless you can beat fighters.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  17. SWC Sifu Ben

I would be willing to discuss these things with you if you like. Please PM me or start a new thread as this is very much off topic to what I was discussing here.

18. SWC Sifu Ben

That might make for some good promo material for my admittedly shoddy website :D No dummy though. I can't mount my $2000 piece of mahogany where I live right now :cry: but I guess I'd rather have a few more feet of training space.

19. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Hey, sorry if this is meant to be a thread exclusively for SWC Sifu Ben, but I found some cool videos of Wing Chun sparring from Russia of all places. Thought folks might be stoked to check it out.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTwzEvidG9Y&spfreload=10"]Russian Wing Chun Cup 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Starts around 11 minutes in. Looks mostly like sloppy flailing to me. Punches seem to lack power until folks start resorting to wild haymakers.

20. Docholiday

Docholiday Valued Member

Thanks for linking the video. I Definately see some wc there, I'd hesitate to call it flailing. I think the guys in the video did a good job putting their art to the test. If they lack one thing its mobility and evasion but this is a good start.