Explosive moves in bodyweight training?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Heikki Mustola, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Heikki Mustola

Heikki Mustola Valued Member

I am looking to improve my explosiveness a bit, I spend 1/3 of month in another city where I cant train MMA or be at gym, so here I would like to do some BW exercises

I tried to google, got at least these two. The so called "jumping" push ups, you know the ones, where you jump in the air and clap hands once before landing. Other being just regular sprints.

I do wish to know more moves to improve explosiveness without weights/machines, so thats why I created a thread.

I guess one move could be jumping on something which is near at the max height I can jump on?

All suggestions for explosive BW moves are appreciated! Thanks. Also, I tried to look few pages back, but didn't saw thread of this. Found one by search but it was bit different though than this, so figured I would create a new one, hope its okay. If not, mods can remove this thread

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Squat jumps - ATG squat, explode to tuck jump, land in squat. Pretty good for tabata training too.

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

vertical jumps
    vertical jumps, land in a squat
    inchworms
    inchworms with push ups
    skater squats
    lunge jumps
    burpees
    tuck jumps

4. Heikki Mustola

Heikki Mustola Valued Member

Thanks, there will be lot of jumping then ;) Im sure my legs will remind me about that later...

And damn, inch worm move looks... Creepy

5. brucelee12345

brucelee12345 Valued Member

basically any plyometrics would do it:
    clap push ups
    sprints
    squat jumps(or one leg if ur advanced)
    box jumps
    vertical jumps
    clap pull ups
    skater jumps
    jump rope
    lunge jumps/split squat jumps
    depth jumps
    slams(with medicine ball)
    medicine ball chest pass/toss
    etc......

6. karl52

karl52 openminded

kipping pull ups are great

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Kipping on a pull up means it is no longer a pull up

Worst thing to happen to pull ups ever

9. karl52

karl52 openminded

Ive often heard that kipping is cheating with a pull up,thats because they are infact two completely different exercises, achieving two different objectives.so i depends what your training for

with an ordinary pull up, the idea is to pull yourself up isolating parts of the body to train the specific parts,like a pull down machine,your body in a stable position isolating certain muscle groups, like the back etc, pull ups are an exercise for strength

pull ups clip

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZF0Uz7rty8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZF0Uz7rty8[/ame]

now with kipping pull ups they are designed to use the whole body in an explosive flowing movement,strengthening the kinetic chain as a whole,not just isolating certain muscles,this makes a kipping pull up an "explosive move for bodyweight training"

the kipping pull up

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cTAJnIGm6c"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cTAJnIGm6c[/ame]

and like with any exercise push yourself to hard and you will injure yourself,ive trained pull ups but never kipping pull ups,I dont think my back could take the whip.