JKD Question from an outsider

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Sinmoo, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Sinmoo

Sinmoo Valued Member

I'm a long timer Hapkido student and teacher for background, several years ago a bought Paul Vunak's Enigma DVD and I really thought it was worth while as it cut things down to the essentials yet remained flexible and adaptable to no limit.

Is it correct to say the difference between Paul's art and Inosanto's is Paul's is a fast track to the essence of combat vs. Inosanto as a long track. Paul being more right to the meat and potato's and Dan as slower more complex heavier on drills oriented system.

Thanks and sorry if my questions are off somewhat as an outsider to JKD.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The Enigma is the core syllabus for "Contemporary JKD" and is Vu's distillation of all that he has found useful from his time in training. So you might say it IS Inosanto's system, just with a Vu filter applied to it

However, even CJKD has other layers to it, and there is a lot we do that is not on the Enigma

Guro Dan has a plethora of students and if you look at each one they all have a different feel and vibe.....Vu is different than Richardson who is different than Ballicki wh is different from Young who is different from Paulson, yet they all share a common heritage. They also tend to have more common ground than you might think

3. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

never met paul vunak, but i did meet danny inosanto who i believe was vunak's jkd instructor, correct me if im wrong, but one thing i can tell you about mister inosanto is that he is one of the most well trained persons in our universe, and i highly doubt an entire jkd volume collection of videos, much less one dvd, could graze the surface of what it is that mister inosanto and his students train in, at times dan seems to overwhelm us with too much knowledge at one time, and other times he slows everything down and takes you into a simple world where its step by step

4. Hannibal

Guro Dan has forgotten more than I will ever know

5. JKDJoe

JKDJoe Valued Member

This x1000

6. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Trained with a JKD Student of Jerry Poteet who later trained a lot with Lamar M Davis and his Jun Fan stuff. Right there you have a couple of different approaches to JKD that are again different than Dan Inosanto's approach.

And nothing against Paul Vunak but given a choice between him and Dan Inosanto.....Guru Dan every time.

7. pinklady6000

pinklady6000 Banned Banned

As far as I can see Vunak is a muay thai guy. Holds his hands high hoping to get the clinch around the neck and knee. Lots of elbows, knees and head butts. maybe a straight lead thrown in there. The kicks he uses are the rear muay thai. No boxing punches, no front leg kicks.

8. Hannibal

Nope

Vunak has a pretty extensive arsenal, you just have no direct experience in JKD outside of reading so consequently have no idea what you are actually looking at

If anything is is far more Savate than Muay Thai