is this a good workout routine for taekwondo?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by taekwondoexpert, Sep 23, 2013.

1. taekwondoexpert

taekwondoexpert New Member

Every morning I do dynamic stretches to improve my kicks
    My evening workout:
    Saturday: Cardio-HIIT
    Sunday: Cardio- HIIT
    Monday and Wednesday: Strength training-Mostly body weight exercises and plyometrics
    Tuesday and Thursday: Technique/Kicking -Like heavybag workout
    Friday: Rest
    I warm up before every workout and stretch after
    I don't have any weights or pull up bar
    Please comment on anything I should work on and any suggestions would be great
    Anythin that could improve the height speed or power of my kicks
    By the way I'm a 15 year old girl

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You're developing exercise habits at a young age, which is freaking awesome. That's not going to mean anything to you now, but if you keep it up it will mean a lot in the future. And you know words like HIIT and Plyometrics! AND you warmup before you're working out!

All in all it sounds pretty well-rounded but in order for a real critique in fitness related subjects (especially online) you have to be really specific in what you're doing. What are you doing for cardio and HIIT, what are you doing for plyometrics (type of exercise, reps and sets).

Also, what are your overall goals, what do you want to achieve through working out?

3. taekwondoexpert

For HIIT I sprint for 30 seconds and rest for 90 seconds and repeat this 8 times
    For strength training:
    X25 squats
    X15 pushups
    X10 squat jumps
    X20 crunched
    X10 tuck jumps
    X15 lunges
    X20 crunches
    X30 calf raises
    Repeat 3 times
    I want to get conditioned for better kicks

4. Ero-Sennin

That all sounds good to me. Just add in more reps for the calisthenics as the weeks pass on.

For HIIT, are you moving for the 90 sec rest?

As far as kicking goes you should post a thread in the Tae Kwon Do section. I'm good with fitness stuff and am somewhat knowledgable in boxing, grappling, and bjj so I'm not going to be a ton of help with advice. The guys in the TKD section can definitely help you though.

5. taekwondoexpert

Yes I walk

6. Ero-Sennin

Progression for HIIT will be to work up to jogging during your rest period then eventually a light run. Something like :30 sprint, :30 jog, 1:00 walk and repeat, then bump it to :30spring, :45 jog, :45 walk, and so on until you're just sprinting and running. It's all dependent on how quickly your body adapts to the stimulus, but pushing yourself to do more is always a surefire way to get better. HIIT is a great method of exercise to get more endurance.

7. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

At your age that's pretty solid, I'd like to see some pulling movement thrown in for good measure and balance but otherwise have a cookie on me :)

Do you have a park or tree nearby? You could use them to advance the BW moves (feet on a bench for the press ups etc) plus you'd have somewhere to do BW rows and pull ups at.

Well done for committing to this at your age, it'll serve you well and you will have a great foundation to work from when you decide to take things to the next level.

I notice you do two sets of crunches, just an Idea but I would probably sub one set out for a plank.

Keep building that base and nailing the HIIT (nice work on that BTW) and great things will come :)