Is this a good routine for Martial Arts conditioning?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by rob0107, Jul 28, 2013.

1. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

Hi, I've been looking online for an overall strength and conditioning workout I can do at home and found a couple of routines on youtube. Just wondering if they were any good?

There's this one

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q9ho8RsDYk"]20 Minute MMA Training Exercise - HASfit Mixed Martial Arts Workout - MMA Fitness - UFC Training - YouTube[/ame]

and this one

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yZ1_FG3hT0"]MMA BODYWEIGHT WORKOUT #1 - YouTube[/ame]
    (workout starts at about 2:00)

I'm after a routine that builds overall functional strength and endurance for MA, but not entirely sure what I should be looking out for. I'm not in fantastic shape atm, and I only have a set of dumbells at home too, so have to avoid routines with pullups, which is a bit annoying...I'm looking at doing this twice a week if possible depending on my shifts at work.

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
  2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I would go with someone who is training MMA fighters than just workout routines per se, as an example TFW or Ross Training. I'd add MMA to your title if you want more fighters to jump in with some comments, but when a routine is, well routine you need to change it so relying on a set program is wrong

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk_m0ITvUDU"]Zach Even - Esh Experiences "The MMA Warrior Hurricane" - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6JvhCTjicY"]Budget Training - RossTraining.com - YouTube[/ame]

3. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

How do you change the title of the thread? And it wasn't specifically for MMA, I just thought that these would be fairly well rounded routines to do.

Looking at the channels for the two videos I posted there's a load of different routines doing different exercises, so I was thinking alternating between the routines every few weeks to change it up a bit, or would this not really be beneficial?

Cool videos too, think I might have to look at investing in some more equipment as all I've got are two 10kg dumbells I've had since I was 14, hence the emphasis on bodyweight exercises...

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Click "edit", then "go advanced".

If you have any trouble let me know the title and I'll change it for you.

5. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

Ah cheers, just changed it :)

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Well any training with consistency and good diet will work to make you stronger

7. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

Actually tried to change the title and it only changed the title of the first post and not the thread. Could you change it to:

"Is this a good routine for Martial Arts conditioning?"

Cheers

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

you need to figure out what your weaknesses and strengths are, what you are actually looking to improve (strength, muscular endurance, explosiveness, aerobic power, aerobic capacity, anaerobic power etc)

http://www.8weeksout.com/
    one of only a handful of guys putting out free information who actually trains fighters for a living, the other is martin rooney and princess has already linked to him :hat:

9. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

Sadly I think I need to improve all of the above...is it realistic to look for a routine that is balanced between all these things? Or do they require very different types of exercise to improve? (Sorry if these are stupid questions, don't really know a huge amount about the different types of exercise...)

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

you can only really improve one or at most 2 areas at the same time, id go with aerobic capacity and basic strength levels as those two will be the cornerstone of every other area, type of strength and energy system. Read the threads over at the forum i posted, also read this thread over at sherdog, it was started by the guy who runs 8 out weeks out and has a ton of free information about how to improve conditioning and strength its long though, very long, did i mention it was long
    http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f13/how-finally-solve-your-conditioning-problem-788235/

11. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

Just out of curiosity is it a long post?

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

well some might call it long :) 100 pages i believe is quite wordy by post peoples standards, but theres enough information in there to get anyone in fighting shape

13. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

Actually read through a lot of that post (it's bordering on ridiculously long) and it's really helpful. I think I'm in agreement that I should concentrate on aerobic capacity and strength first, and then start targeting other areas when I've developed these two a little bit.

Found this in another thread on this forum which looks like a great way to target strength:

http://www.fitness666.com/p/bodyweight-666.html

And I'm guessing jogging or cycling would target aerobic capacity? Or would it be more like sprinting intervals?

14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

the best way to target aerobic capacity is probably what is referred to in that thread as the cardiac output method, this method puts increase HR and puts extended stress on the heart over an extended period of time and forces the left ventricle to expand in size, the net outcome is your resting heart rate will lower and you will be able to pump more oxygen and blood around the body with each heartbeat meaning you will be aerobically fitter. What you need to do is to raise your heart rate to between 130-150bpm for an extended period of time, starting with 30 minutes three times a week and working up to 60 minutes three times a week. The trick is to increase your HR enough to force the adaption in the heart without raising your heart rate so high you cause the wall of the heart to thicken which will make expanding the left ventricle very hard.

What method you use: jogging, cycling, shadow boxing etc is up to you, just chose something that gets your HR into the right zone for the right amount of time, if you don’t have a HR monitor jogging can be a good choice as its easy to keep a steady pace and auto regulate yourself you simply jog at a steady pace which isn’t too hard and which allows you to if necessary talk to someone the whole time

15. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

Yeah I'd got to the bit about the cardiac output method too. Ok then, well I can look at doing some cardio along with the Fitness 666 and steadily build up my strength and endurance and just see how things go :)

And I tried the Fitness 666 for the first time today, seems like really good stuff. Didn't push myself as hard as I could as it was I'd not done it before (and I've just come off a night shift too) but can really feel it already...

16. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Hey I love this thread guys, these are the questions all martial artists should be able to ansewer. I need to be honest here I dont like the above routines because that dont travel well, theres too much jumping involved for me and that means lots of noise and the banging on the knees I dont like so much. I like the comment above you need to find out what your strengths and weakness are and design a routine for yourself.

I dont have much time here today so Im going to come back here and talk about this again later this week but I will offer this advice to you, dont get muscle bound ond dont become a cardioaholic either ok, balance it out, if your not doing core exorcize each work out your wrong ok, you need to work core to really be a good martial artist. Last but not least push ups and pullups, at a minimum you need to be hitting at least 50 to 60 pushups in under two minutes and be able to do 10 pullups in one go.

17. Mangosteen

*exercise - bodyshot

muscle bound is a myth, very strong people stretch and foam roll cos they know it's good for them.

cardioholic depends on your goal, like Icefield said, i agree:
    S&C for boxer will be very different from that of a BJJer or wrestler.
    similarly previous training and the specific athlete must be considered with each program.

if you're writing a program, know the sport and the athlete.

for rugby, here is a needs analysis:
    http://gregniclewiscasestudy.blogspot.hk/p/needs-analysis.html

grappling sports are very similar in the energy systems used (aerobic and ATP-PC) and due to the amateur nature of MA training, a good majority of aerobic work will come from class.
    There for ATP-PC system (strength) development is better developed in your own time.

Almost everyone needs strength improvements.
    a good home bodyweight program to implement would be something that include these exercises to varying rep ranges:
    split squats (good leg builder and helps with stabilisation)
    Bulgarian split squat (stabilisation, leg work)
    skater squats
    push ups
    pull ups
    inverted rows
    hand stand holds and progressions
    planks
    glute bridge
    single leg glute bridges
    nordic curls
    dips
    Jumps (variations at low reps, focused on power generation and force transfer. landing with "silent feet" is best)

all these exercises can be made harder through progressions like increasing instability (one arm push ups), slowing down the eccentric (3 seconds on the way down) and increased rep range or loading (adding some form of resistance to each exercise like bands or weight)

18. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

This is really helpful, thanks. I wanted to do something that was balanced and did a little bit of everything, hence why I thought an MMA routine was best. I really didn't realise how complicated this stuff got...

As of next week I'm looking at taking up an hour and a half of BJJ followed by an hour and a half of Rapid Arnis, so do you think it would be best to concentrate on strength training for the time being?

Also, just out of curiosity, when doing sets, what difference does it make if you do a set number of reps, or do them to failure?

19. Mangosteen

aimed for 1-6 sets of 1-15 reps for about 3-5 exercises. reps will vary depending on how hard they are and you can increase the difficulty of each exercise too e.g. push up progressions etc

dont push past failure. i usually decide on a number of reps and vary sets to aim to hit that number
    e.g. 25 chin ups total would come in sets of 5,5,4,3,3,2,2,1

split your strength training days into upper and lower body days and take rest when needed (i wouldnt go more than two days in a row of rest).
    add in a separate day of hill sprints once or twice a week too. 8 sets of 10-45 second sprints with 2 mins rest in between

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  20. Mangosteen