Martial Arts Planet  



Go Back   Martial Arts Planet > Articles and Reviews > Korean Martial Arts Articles
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 24-Mar-2017, 10:30 PM
aikiMac's Avatar
aikiMac aikiMac is offline
boxing is fun

 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Western USA
Posts: 11,529
No, the proper thing would be to just say, "Shaka when the walls fell," without posting the whole thing.
__________________
"Don't blame me. I voted for Ded Bob." -- me
"When you are done dreaming of Batman, then you will be a ninja like me."
"I changed my iCloud name to 'from Neverland.' That way it says to me, 'Welcome back from Neverland.'"

My book also on Amazon

Last edited by aikiMac; 25-Mar-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 25-Mar-2017, 06:36 AM
Simon's Avatar
Simon Simon is offline
25.806975



 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kent, England
Age: 51
Posts: 17,451
XMAM, I've not read through this thread but would like to say that no-one cares.

You seem to have an agenda and whatever it is you are completely wasting your time.

No-one seems to agree with you, so are therefore preaching to yourself.

If you are trolling then your stay here will be short.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 26-Mar-2017, 04:49 PM
XMAM XMAM is offline
Registered Mapper
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwirlinMerlin View Post
Crack is wack bro.
Why are you on crack I don't under stand this is not good for you.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 26-Mar-2017, 04:56 PM
XMAM XMAM is offline
Registered Mapper
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I, Mitch, can assert you're actually known as XMAM. At least here.

Anyway, testimony presented without opportunity for cross examination is hearsay. I, Mitch, know that.

Mitch
Please cross examine this testimony make a search begin with are demos deadly. Black Belt Magazine Dec 1975
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 26-Mar-2017, 05:14 PM
Simon's Avatar
Simon Simon is offline
25.806975



 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kent, England
Age: 51
Posts: 17,451
What is this thread actually about?
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 26-Mar-2017, 05:33 PM
aaradia's Avatar
aaradia aaradia is offline
Global Moderator

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: La Mesa, Ca
Age: 51
Posts: 6,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
What is this thread actually about?
Someone who needs to spend more time practicing and less time in martial arts politics.

The whole title is dumb anyways. The word "empire" gives it away. Martial arts practitioners may belong to large federations etc, but "empire"?????

I have never understood the need to establish oneself or one's group as the leader or sole authority or anything similar in any given art.

My style has this thing, probably others have it too, the keeper of the system. Some different CLF lineages say their keeper is "THE" keeper of the CLF style. CLF is an art with many lineages and many practitioners. I personally recognize that there is going to be more than one "keeper."

I don't know if this need to try and establish an "empire" or similar ideas that one group controls an entire art stem from ego or trying to make more money - probably both.
__________________
If you're not angry by all the corrections you get in Tai Chi lessons then you're not getting enough corrections. -B. Little

Last edited by aaradia; 26-Mar-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 27-Mar-2017, 03:41 PM
Thomas's Avatar
Thomas Thomas is offline
Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Potsdam, New York (USA)
Posts: 5,756
To be fair, within Hapkido circles, Chang Chin-il is a bit controversial.

Hapkido grew very quickly from what Choi Yong-sool Dojunim had started teaching, and there was a lot of growth of different Kwans (especially under the influence of Ji Han-jae Dojunim and others), leading to quite a large amount of Hapkido schools all around the world in a fairly short amount of time. To have control over that could mean quite a bit of power (and money).

For Choi Yong-sool Dojunim, as he got older, he wanted to pass on the head (Doju title) of the system... whether to consolidate the art or to make it into a tighter empire, who knows. It was splintering, with followers of the three major groups splitting and so on.

Chang Chin-il was offered the title of 'Doju'. This was a bit controversial since he had been a private student and wasn't as well known as some of the others. Some think the expectation was that since he was in NYC that it would help establish him as the top guy and lend more credibility to the creation of a world wide Hapkido organization and grow fabulously. It didn't. GM Chang really didn't get heavily involved in growing (or teaching) the art beyond a small group of his own students. That's part of the reason, the 'Doju-ship" was offered to others as well (including Choi Dojunim's son).

So... discussing GM Chang and 'Empire' and why this type of info could be of interest does actually fit in here. I think between the OP's weak English skills and the real specificity of interest in this slightly obscure Hapkido topic makes it seem irrelevant, but there are things of interest in it.

(Apologies for any errors in the historical content... shooting from the hip here)
__________________
하면된다 (Anything worth doing is worth doing well)
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 27-Mar-2017, 04:13 PM
TwirlinMerlin's Avatar
TwirlinMerlin TwirlinMerlin is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pacific Northwest
Age: 41
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMAM View Post
Why are you on crack I don't under stand this is not good for you.
I see you have a keen intellect. Perhaps if I share the story of my master you will see yours is not so bad. I began my training with Rawdog "Kickpuncher" McGee 41 years ago. He earned the name Kickpuncher because he wore steel toe work boots on his hands which he would use to kickpunch his victims all about their face, groins, and buttocks! He was brutal and his training methods cruel. Often he would show up at 1:00 in the morning and kickpunch his way through the front wall of my house. He'd then drag me out of bed and kickpunch me all the way down to the dojo where he'd kickpunch me some more. Once he's kickpunched me out into the street where I was hit in the groins by a bus! Now tell me who's master was cruel. Even with his devil like ways he still became the head of his very own Kickpuncher empire!
__________________
"We must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!"
-Kodos
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 27-Mar-2017, 09:50 PM
XMAM XMAM is offline
Registered Mapper
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
What is this thread actually about?


Simon I do agree with you that nobody care. that was never my intentions for anyone to feel whether they care or not and even agree or disagree. Its the first time that I ever posted. I was so glad to have found your site. So this is all new to me and friends. When I write thread, I just try to answer the questions. sent to me from others post. As a new member I need to learn how to thread. To reply only to the person who post the question. I like spending time on your site. I need to learn how to use it the beat agenda. Simon and to everyone I apologize for not knowing how to use this site.

Last edited by XMAM; 27-Mar-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 27-Mar-2017, 10:14 PM
XMAM XMAM is offline
Registered Mapper
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
To be fair, within Hapkido circles, Chang Chin-il is a bit controversial.

Hapkido grew very quickly from what Choi Yong-sool Dojunim had started teaching, and there was a lot of growth of different Kwans (especially under the influence of Ji Han-jae Dojunim and others), leading to quite a large amount of Hapkido schools all around the world in a fairly short amount of time. To have control over that could mean quite a bit of power (and money).

For Choi Yong-sool Dojunim, as he got older, he wanted to pass on the head (Doju title) of the system... whether to consolidate the art or to make it into a tighter empire, who knows. It was splintering, with followers of the three major groups splitting and so on.

Chang Chin-il was offered the title of 'Doju'. This was a bit controversial since he had been a private student and wasn't as well known as some of the others. Some think the expectation was that since he was in NYC that it would help establish him as the top guy and lend more credibility to the creation of a world wide Hapkido organization and grow fabulously. It didn't. GM Chang really didn't get heavily involved in growing (or teaching) the art beyond a small group of his own students. That's part of the reason, the 'Doju-ship" was offered to others as well (including Choi Dojunim's son).

So... discussing GM Chang and 'Empire' and why this type of info could be of interest does actually fit in here. I think between the OP's weak English skills and the real specificity of interest in this slightly obscure Hapkido topic makes it seem irrelevant, but there are things of interest in it.

(Apologies for any errors in the historical content... shooting from the hip here)
Thanks Thomas
By the way I was trying to answer all of your previous post. all written very good so I was saving it for last. This post makes up for the rest. You are so correct thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 27-Mar-2017, 10:50 PM
XMAM XMAM is offline
Registered Mapper
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwirlinMerlin View Post
I see you have a keen intellect. Perhaps if I share the story of my master you will see yours is not so bad. I began my training with Rawdog "Kickpuncher" McGee 41 years ago. He earned the name Kickpuncher because he wore steel toe work boots on his hands which he would use to kickpunch his victims all about their face, groins, and buttocks! He was brutal and his training methods cruel. Often he would show up at 1:00 in the morning and kickpunch his way through the front wall of my house. He'd then drag me out of bed and kickpunch me all the way down to the dojo where he'd kickpunch me some more. Once he's kickpunched me out into the street where I was hit in the groins by a bus! Now tell me who's master was cruel. Even with his devil like ways he still became the head of his very own Kickpuncher empire!
Yes thank you very much for sharing it with me.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM
XMAM XMAM is offline
Registered Mapper
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Medico View Post
For sake of brief review,let us assume everything in the article is fact.
I think the main message we can take from the individual's article is that for decades the individual was with a teacher, a terrible person who was, among other things-dishonest,power/status hungry,physically (and photographically) abusive to students, including non-adult students.
Yet the individual stays with this teacher for those decades.Thereby if not in some instances being an accomplice,at least seeming to condone or having no real concern at the time for such behavior.I certainly do not think the XMAM spent decades with a guy just so he could take notes and after many years let the world know what a scum his teacher was.
We all make choices on who to study with,if an individual wants to study garrote techniques with a hit man that is the individual's choice. It would seem that after a certain number of years the teacher would have no more to teach.Unless he's been holding back,and then one would question WHY the individual would continue to stay with a teacher who has no more to teach the individual and who the individual feels is a scum.Barring that,one must wonder why the individual would stay with such a terrible person who no longer has anything to teach one.Oh,that's right.To take notes for a future expose'.
So- one cannot but wonder after spending decades with this teacher
why come out with all this stuff now,after all this time?
What's the REAL reason you're posting here,XMAM? Must be personal.
If you're going to slag someone you were with during the many years when he was supposedly doing all these horrible things one must ask why the sudden concern? Did you get religion or something?
Otherwise it is difficult to think it's from a sense of altruism.
A "couple" little things-
"The WAY"?From,according to you,a despicable person?Wasn't there anyone else in the world-or at least NY- you could have taken your son to?
Take the Jutsu,leave the Do.
B-b-b-b-but wait! You also stayed as "'honorable father" to-see above.Rather contradictory.
Since 1982??? Thank heavens there are people like you in the world,ready to spend years and years with someone just so they can keep a record of how despicable their teacher is and to reveal same to the world.Umpteen years after the fact.
So for the weal of the world you continued to stay under an abusive teacher.Very commendable.Or very lacking in gray matter.
Really? When was this,1857? Besides, that's not a training injury,it's assault.Period.
Seeing as how in our litigatenous society even the 1970s could be hazardous for MA instructors I must observe that it appears you know very,very little about such matters.
Consequently your credibility at this point seems very,very little also.
El Medico Please go back and read it again because Xman's son was never a student of Chinil Chang. So what are you talking about. If your going to slander someone without knowing the facts just for points and reader benefits. Thats so sad. because Xman was not the lone writer as all student contribute to the heir of the hapkido empire chronicle as so stated through out. It was a joint venture and if you would like, I can have you meet Chinil Chang the main contributor + 7 students. We stayed with Chinil Chang to help him not hurt him.

Last edited by XMAM; Yesterday at 11:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old Today, 02:49 AM
Hannibal's Avatar
Hannibal Hannibal is online now
Angriest MAP resident....
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Now broadcasting from Calgary, Canada!
Age: 43
Posts: 23,026
So multiple people wrote it? That would explain why it reads like someone fed a monkey a bottle of gin and gave it a keyboard...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFOREVERMAN
Hannibal He is a cannibal. Literally. He will eat you alive with words. He lives in Canada, 40 years old and I am sure he's single. No woman would ever want him
www.calgaryjkd.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.