Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

The worst think is I can't deny you, I just thought about it when I left him there :D

2. Nachi

Monday 20.3.17:

Sensei returned from a weekend seminar in London. He made the trip with a sensei from a sister dojo with the main purpose being grading. Our sensei passed in summer, this weekend the other sensei also passed his 5th Dan grading! :) We are all wery happy for him.

Sensei arrived late for class. We, however, didn't go warm up and stretch as the three of us scored some questionnaires we handed out as a competition for a jump park voucher.

19:15-20:00 - Beginner karate class:
    - Stretching
    - Kihon ido - three combinations: Mae geri + kizami + guaku tsuki, mawashi geri + yokomen uraken uchi + gyaku tsuki, yoko geri + ushiro geri + gzaku tsuki. We did those separately and then in pairs where the other person defends.
    - Kata: Gekisai Dai Ichi and Ni - sensei also pointed out some new info he got on the seminar

As for my health... well, my cough has gotten better, although slightly worse after the training. I was just getting near my goal of finally getting healthy, but I... I can't even say it how angry I am!.... I had just gotten a runny nose :( It's not even funny anymore...
    And my already good leg gave me again a bit of trouble. :( :bang:

When we were leaving, I was crounching and tying my shoes. Sensei was talking with a friend next to me. Apparently my pants were pull down a bit lower than I would like as I was crouching, but I didn't notice. Sensei sneaked behind me and touched just above the pants. I didn't see him and as I am a person to get startled easily, I jumped up without a though in the crouch, meaning my phone flew out of my pocket to a meter's distance and I landed straight on my back. Hahaha... :mad: This will require a thorough revenge! Fear the day when I think of something! :mad:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  3. Nachi

Tuesday: Didn't feel all that great, skipped training, again.

Wednesday: Felt slightly better, tried training, not doing too well again...

18:00-19:30 - Beginner class at uni:
    - Warm-up: various types of slalom in between people/tehir legs/jumping over people in a plank etc... One of those exercises was to squat down, putting hands near the head and jump over people's legs while sitting in that squat. This was one of the more difficult things and I am not sure why, but a few people pulled their legs or said something like: "I am scared" or "don't fall on me!". I am not sure if they were only scared of me, though it seemed like it a bit. I wander how I looked while jumping like a bunny. I probably will need to check myself in a mirror if I looked like I would fall over or fall on whatever I am jumping over or what :D I feel a bit wronged. I had it under control... well... quite :D
    - Jumbi undo with knee strikes and maybe some other tecniques mixed in.
    - By this time I already had trouble breathing - with a sore throat, coughing and a stuffiness of my nose, I couldn't get enough air in, so I was breathing like I just ran a marathon... Well, almost... I probably wouldn't be breathing at all if I actually ran something like that :D
    - Me and a friend from the dojo who started attending these classes were put in the front a a reference, while sensei was going around, correcting. It was mostly about tsuki with 10, 9, 8, 7, ... 1 push-ups mixed in
    - When the time came to do 5 tsuki in a row on one count I started having a little bit of trouble, when sensei said to do 10, I thought I may not be able to do well. Sensei saw me and decided I don't look too well and sent me off to the side. I wasn't nauseaus as he probably thought, but could use the small break. I returned right after that set of 10 tsuki per count.
    - We did some coordination exercises, involving mostly gyaku tsuki and mae geri later. Sensei than handed out pads in the groups of 4 to practise those two techniques. We only went around helping out.

EDIT: Oh! We did some break falls, too.

Well, my inability to get enough air in resulting in feeling too weak and a need to run for napkins all the time brought me second thoughts about participating in a 108 kata challenge tommorrow :/

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  4. Nachi

Thursday: I didn't feel all too well, or after yesterday's experience I decided I would skip the 108 Gekisai Dai NI challenge. My first time skipping it, but judging by how I was feeling, I think I made the right decision.

Friday:

My cough yesterday has again gotten worse. I decided to go visit my GP today morning. Unfortunately, my usual experienced GP wasn't there and the young substitute couldn't figure my cough out after I answered all her questions. Apparently my lungs are clean, though my heartbeat and breathing was quicker to the point she asked if I was running. She didn't advise me anything unusual, but only had a suspicion about whooping cough and sent me for blood tests. I went there but only then did I read what a pertussis was about and I am quite sure it is not what I have. Well, after going to the pharmacy, I used the opportunity and bought a thermometer since I didn't have one. I told the doc I didn't have any temperatures, at least most likely, but the thermometer lately proved me wrong :Angel: Well, I was hoping I'd finally get some good advice about how to get rid of the cold, the best would be until Wednesday, but well, I can still hope.

19:40-21:20 - Kobudo:
    - Bo Hojo Undo Ni - solo a few times and in pairs as a two step kumibo
    - Sai Hojo Undo - practising the first six techniques again.
    - The description is short, but it all took some time. And energy. I'm off to bed, now :Angel:

5. Nachi

Saturday 25.3.17:

Having a temperature of 37,7°C after yesterday's training, I decided I should do my best to recover soon, but staying in bed or even in the house on such a beautiful spring sunny day was unthinkable. So I did a relax walk of 8,5 km. And it was great! :) :Angel:

6. Nachi

Monday 27.3.17:

Still feeling the same, I will probably skip all the classes this week, unless I start feeling better. A couple of weeks ago, though, I promised sensei I will teach his kids class at Jesenice for him (probably the last time), so I did just that. There were less kids today, but behaving as bad as usual :D Making a circle? An imposible task, I tell you! :) Although I wanted them to run in it then, it became a complete chaos in a few moments. Usual when it comes to working out or some running, I participate, as do all our senseis. But just the push-up position didn't do me too well, so I was just bossing over them today :)

I then went to the dojo, because I needed something there, but left long before the adult class began. From what I heard there were only a few people today.

What bothers me is that for our joint birthday party, the four of us had gotten a voucher for an hour in a jum park. I was really looking forward to it, but it was hard for all of us to agree on a term, as one of us is a politologist and always busy, so we found the last term this Wednesday. The vouchers are only valid till the end of March. The politilogist can't make it anyway, his voucher was gifted to sensei and although I was really looking to this as I heard it is a lot of fun, I am starting to consider gifting my voucher, too :( Of the remaining three of us, none is feeling very well at the moment, so I hope the vouchers won't be in vain... :/

7. Nachi

I decided to give myself a rest week to relax and get back to health. On Wednesday there probably was no training. Wednesday I still didn't feel well and therefore gave my JumpPark voucher to a friend who was going to come with us and could enjoy it in my stead. I heard it was really great so I hope to go there another time. It was great, but of course, with a certain risk of injury - our sensei hurt her ankle, making her walk with cruthes for the next three weeks :/

Saturday 1.4.17:

The week off probably helped me and although I still have a runny nose and a cough, it is all better. I actually felt rather good since Friday and since today was a beautiful spring day - I love days like this the most! - I couldn't hold myself back and took out my bike for a ride - after a few years actually. I planned an easy route to a pond called Slatina where I could check for interesting birds. The journey should have been a bit over 17 km, but I am not entirely sure how I turned it into 25,53 km. I wasn't up for any race, rather a relaxed ride, so it took me 1:49.
    Shortly after the start I followed a route that took me up the hill - not a terible one, but it still ehausted me. I had to catch my breath at the end and my head started to spin. What a shame! Years ago when I used to ride a bike a lot, this would have been no obstackle! Everything around was blooming and I had a cough, was prone to breath hard, so I prepared my inhalator - my best friend at this time :) The rest of the journey went smoothly, although my head kept spinning when I stood on the spot. I decided to go a different, more familiar way on my way back to avoid that hill, so that may have been where I gained some kilometers, although it definitely shouldn't have been so many.
    The pond that I wanted to visit had some nice birds like northern shovelers, garganey and a fire-bellied toad was croaking in a puddle just behind the pond. Along the way the spring was announced by singing chiffchaffs everywhere. Hmm, I miss birdwatching!

I am not feeling very well after the trip so chores and work is going to be pushed aside for bed yet again...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  8. Nachi

Sunday 2.4.17:

I planned to do some of my work today, but in the morning I got a message from a friend who should have assisted at today's grading at the dojo that his old eye injury flared up, meaning he definitely can't come. Sensei originally invited me to a course/seminar for dojo assistants he was holding also at 1 PM, but later I understood this was primarily not for us who are probably, or as planned go for a dojo instructor licence later this year. Therefore I wasn't planning to come, but this was more important. There was a friend grading for a bluebelt, because of whom (and the seminar) two senseis came form the southern dojo with some of their younger students. There was also a 9 yo boy going for an orange belt. I was to be there primarily as a sparring partner or a partner for the exercises done in pairs for the bluebelt-to-be. The examining sensei asked me if I wanted to join the full grading - taking it as an exercise for myself, but after yesterday I still didn't feel completely healthy and politely declined, saying the partner exercises should be enough for me. I was first called in for San Dan Gi Ni and San (without the first one), going full power with the partner. As I also wasn't coming to trainings, I had trouble immediately going into it and started with Ichi instead. So we started again, continuing with San Dan Gi San right away. I was at the slightly more difficult - less practised side and I again, without thinking started San Dan Gi Ichi.... Oh man. Later I also made a partner for the young boy - for example Renzoku kumite - going slowly with him and then full power with the greenbelt. I also helped with Ippon kumite and bunkai - only as the attacking side. Later, sensei suddenly called me in to give shime to the friend in the middle on his Sanchin kata.
    After they finished, they were given final work-out sensei came up with - the boy 20 burpees, the man 30 burpees, then me with a pad comes in and he does 20 gyaku tsuki and 20 mae geri for each side. It was obvious he was tired after the grading - he was giving it a lot of effort and had real trouble with the burpees towards the end. And sending me the desperate look he did I couldn't help but laugh :D. It is kind of nice to watch the grading and exhaustion of others knowing I can only watch :D He had to calm his breathing after it for a moment and asked sensei how many of the tsuki and geri he is supposed to do. Was it 10? Sensei smiled and "ok, it was 10" and lowered the number for him, although the friend realized and said he'd do more, he just really didn't remember.

After the grading ended with both participants passing, and with some sarcastic remarks about how I will be stripped of my belt for my messing up the san dan gis and about how I am present at everything from the senseis, I went to the club room, where my sensei was giving a lecture to 9 teenagers that came from 4 dojos altogether and are of senior grades there and could help their dojo instructors. I learned the lecture should have been for three hours, so I joined in about a middle. But sensei took over an hour more.
    I planned to do some of the work I planned to do in the dojo, but it was just about time for the dinner and everyone went, so I did, too, as I didn't have time to eat much today.
    At 7 pm I had a kobudo training planned. The friend with the injured eye wouldn't be coming, the other had some course, but sensei still told me he'd come as he had it on the way from his weekend. I appologized I may not be able to make it on 7 exactly, he said it's ok, he'll make some stops he needs and come half an hour later. In the meantime, karate sensei started cleaning the dojo, so I told him it's ok, I still ahve some time before the training and took the vacuum cleaner from him. Kobudo sensei got stuck in a traffic and in the end came at 8:15 pm. After I cleaned the dojo, I went to say hi to a new physiotherapist that is just starting in a physiotherapy/massage room we had in the dojo, empty for some time. She and her husband worked there the whole day, making the room nice and cozy. It turned out she studied biology at the same faculty as me and also likes to watch birds and she was nice. I helped her put some stickers on the holes in the door while her husband was attaching a new lock. She showed me the room they changed quite a bit - new color, new floor, a piece fo new furniture, some physiotherapy stuff and it looked really pretty. :) They were just about to finish when my kobudo sensei arrived. The physiotherapist handed me the keys to the room for me to give them to sensei and her friend who will also do some massages or something there (a task that should probably prevent me from making excuses to not go to class tommorrow) :D. I am glad the southern senseis left, for I would only have to listen more remarks about how I'm everywhere :D Not my fault!

20:20-22:20 - Kobudo:
    - We did Kumibo Ni - the five techniques used in line in pairs
    - Then the five techniques of Sai Kihon Renzoku? Or something like that. In pairs - sai against bo - bo attacks on head, then neck, side, knee and does tsuki, while the sai blocks and usually attacks at the same time, then attacking the same place as the bo before and ends with an attack from one party and possibly a block from the other. We practised each both sides, but only a few times. Sensei always first showed me a video with masters going at it, then he tried with me. It may seem we didn't do too much today, but sensei is also quite talkative, so we discussed a lot of kobudo related and unrelated things too :Angel:

I stopped somewhere along the way for a while and only came home at midnight, doing nothing of my original work plans :( As for the next week's classes, one of our senseis is out with crutches, a friend who teaches the kids tommorrow is hurt with his eye and the remaining sensei is busy now, asking me to let him know when I have time to take on some classes (while I may not be in full healt yet). The next week is bound to be fun :D

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  9. Nachi

Monday 3.4.17:

I didn't get any SOS call from sensei today because of the lack of people available to teach at least today's kids class, but my luck didn't last long, as I got a call a few hours before the training. Unfortunately, I was a bit more busy with my job today, so appologized, felt bad, but couldn't come, so the training was cancelled.
    As I already wrote, one of our senseis is injured, another one is busy this week, so our third sensei, who didn't appear on trainings almost at all for about the last year, was summoned! :) It was nice to see him again and he'll apparently be saving the trainings on Tuesday and Thursday as well :) I arrived for the adult class and he started teasing from the get-go.

18:30 (or slightly late) - 20:00 - Beginner class:
    - Only five of us today + sensei
    - Started in pairs - jumping over partner's legs that are held slightly above ground - three versions, some other partner belly work-out, then in a circle also holding up legs somewhat apart - jumping over the whole circle with legs held together, then right leg, then left.
    - Stretching
    - Kata practise - this sensei is more kumite and work-out oriented, so I was quite surprised we actually did kata! :) - Gekisai Dai Ichi 2x, Ni, Saifa, Seiyunchin 2x, when I said upon questioning that I know a bit of Shisochin, we did that to. Then came question about Sanseru. We were taught the steps once and I probably remember, but our senseis don't think we should focus on this kata at all, so I said, well, not much more than steps and sensei let it pass.
    - We made pairs - me with sensei - he usually calls me up. Not sure why. I am usually among the higher grades in the dojo, but I think he just likes to beat me up if he can :D Practising bunkai (again, what a surprise!) from Gekisai dai Ichi. To be more precise oyo bunkai. Sensei showed a possible version, I attacked him for demonstration, then he attacked me a couple of times and then we went to help the other two pairs.
    - After the third bunkai, as sensei warned in advance, he dissapeared and left the class to me. There was not much time left, so we finished the bunkai. I thought about an inside version of the fourth and a friend had an idea to finish the fifth with a flying kick which ws probably the most suitable.
    - And upon her wish we finished with our kata of choice - Seiyunchin for me

Head sensei said the self-defence class was cancelled and he let the students (not regular karateka) know, but just as last time, there must have been some miscommunication with three, who came. We had to appologize and send them home...

10. Nachi

Tuesday: Skipped training

Wednesday 5.4.17:

18:00-19:30 - Beginner class at uni:

- Sensei came late, just when the students came asking me if there is a class, because last week there wasn't. Sensei let us in and I started the stretching/Junbi Undo
    - Sensei took over starting with a work out: counting to 30 - one number go down in a push-up, on another count go up, then belly work-out, some sumo squats and jumping squats from squatting down, jumping up with knees as high as we can and landing as silently as possible into a squat again - an exercise I hate :D too tiring :D (after the belly work-out, when we stretched out stinging bellies, I heard an aikidoka sigh to himself (though loudly enough so that I suppose everyone heard :D, saying: "Aaaaah, that's what I needed!" :D)
    - We then practised kicks in a circle - a lot of mea geris and also a bit of ushiro geri. When we looked tired, sensei let us drink quickly.
    - Then came the partner kick drills - sensei called me to pertner with him to go easy on myself, he was considerate of my past sickness. Well, this was after the most difficult part of the class was over, though :D Anyway, I there wasn't any studetn without a partner, so this worked out. I helped sensei demonstrate the partner drills and then went around with him, helping others. The drills were all about kicks, trying various types - a few drills of mae geri, then mawashi geri, ushiro geri, mikazuki geri, kakato otoshi geri, ura-mawashi geri, ... hmm, that was probably all.
    - Then quickly towards the end practising a combination of kizami tsuki and gyaku tsuki. Then adding a kick of our choice
    - about 20 rolling push-ups and 10 of those terrible jumping squats jumping from squatting down to a squatting position in the air.

11. Nachi

Thursday 6.4.17:

Yesterday, sensei took the opportunity to assign me to the kids' class today. The not-so-often-seen sensei should come for the advanced kids' class after that. I got a call around lunchtime from that very sensei saying he's sick, so he will let me ahndle the other kids' class, too, while I'm at it :) And there I was, thinking that I might actually go through this week "unscathed" :D After all, I am not teaching regularly this year, so I was a bit nervous... Luckily, the other brown belt who usually teaches the kids on Monday and who's injured eye healed again, also arrived to help me.

17:00-17:50 - Beginner children class:
    - Game of tag + variations
    - Some more warm-up - running, jumping, jumping frogs, all four, ducks etc.
    - Junbi Undo
    - Belly work-out inspired by sensei's yesterday class
    - Hiza + Mae geri practise
    - Promised game. Maybe a bit too many games, but we managed to do some techniques, too, at least :)

It was my first time in this class and I was surprised by how many people there were. And only one girl that did very well, though, compared to some, who were only ever thinking about how to make it easier for themselves and be more annoying as a bonus.

17:50-18:40 - Intermediate children class (mostly yellow belts):
    - Game of tag + variations
    - Junbi Undo under the lead of a volunteer - the youngest boy - the one who just passed his grading and was the second highest belt there. Well done, I say!
    - Belly work-out
    - We asked if there was anything they'd like to do today and pads won. So we let the do punching two partner's pads, while shifting position from right to left, also gaining strenght form the hips. This prooved quite difficult for some. We did three stages.
    - Mae geri to pads.

18:40-19:00 - Advanced children class:
    - Orange belt up - so the new young orange belt, + the oldest blue belted teenager. We promised to do some kata. Since there were only two and there were two of us teaching, we let anyone who wanted to stay behind to work on their kata, too. There were two beginnners who asked for tips on the kata at the beginning of the class, so the friend took those two and taught them Gekisai Dai Ichi. I mostly worked with the orange belt on his Gekisai Dai Ni and although there were a few things to correct, mostly something he struggles with apparently also outside of the kata, I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't have too much time for the blue belt, who practised just learned Seiyunchin. I gave him a few tips, checked him a couple of times, but I am just a grade higher and practise karate for a shorter time then him, so I didn't want to play a smartass and was mostly preocupied with the younger one. He then practised Saifa by himself.

19:00-20:30 - Adult class:
    I forgot to bring or buy any food, so I took one of my stocked biscuits, handed one to the friend and we went to the adult class. A black belt came, who would take the lead now. She is not much into teaching. She probably wouldn't want to go to kids class, nor did she wanted to order us around, so she came with a scheme for the class where we will have a goal and will be relatively free. That was her plan :) We took out and placed our puzzle-like tatami, blue and red color without any pattern.
    - Each of us picked a square to start and thing or a trajectory we will follow. I chose to go in a circle from the outside corner to the center. We were to do techniques, for example 50 of our choice on each blue square (about 18 of them) and some body or other weighted exercise (also probably 50, though it's up to us) on every red (around 10). If we meet with another person n the same square we can do a partner exercise. On some of the red squares we placed some weights - Nigiri Game, 2x chi ishi, 1 stone, 1 small bag for tricep dips and I took a kongoken out for sumo squats when I was near (after 50 normal sumo squats) and used the wall-bar for crunches another time. Apart from that I did push-ups (I got out of practise and struggled today). Then for my second to last square I did 50 calf raises. When, for the last, there formed a group of 3 at a different place doing calf raises together. I was invited in, so I changed places for the last one. 50 didn't seem enough to them and went for a 100, with me cursing as I just did 50 :D
    - As for techniques I did normal kihon. When met with another person I did some iron body conditioning with them. First time 20x 5 different strikes, then 20x three types of strikes. With another person we did 3 punches + 3 blocks combo or Ippon Kumite

We did this type of training once before and it was quite a good idea to try again. I can feel some of my muscles as I didn't often go to trainings lately.

As for my CrossFit membership, it was prolonged after my pleas to the coach and it is high time I started going there again. My plan was tommorrow, now I hope I'll be fit enough and won't change my mind. Seeing how it is half past 1 am now again, I probably won't be able to rest as much as I'd like. This week just isn't in my favor :D

12. Nachi

Friday 7.4.17:

In the end I decided to not slack and go to CrossFit. It's always hardest to make the first visit after some time off, especially since I only finished the beginner course.

19:00-20:00 - CrossFit:
    There were surprisingly few people compared to the previous Friday classes. Only 4 for the group class.
    - Warm-up: 20 jumping jacks, 10 lounges, 5 push-ups - repeat util 5 mins is over
    - Stretching
    - With a 25 kg barbell for me practising a combination of a power clean, power squat clean? (the same just ending in a squat) and a front squat. A few times, then once every minute until 10 mins. over.
    - The coach remembered me and knew I was ill and she advised me to take it easy today, I confirmed I am not used to exercising after my time off. She told me to stay at the 25 kg, which I appreciated. Not because I really couldn't do more, but I need to work on my technique first.
    - Workout of the Day: 3 rounds of (in a time limit of 20 mins.):
    - 10 deadlifts
    - 10 burpee box jumps
    - 10 hanging power cleans
    - 10 handstand push-ups (for me only standing on a box, the easier version)

I kept the 25 kg barbell and finished at 15:14, around 5 seconds after the others, except for a girl that took longer, obviously because she had a 35 kg barbell, unlike me and the other girl. Hats down to her. I was happy about I didn't take significantly longer, although I was at the opposite part of the gym and didn't really watch them and took breaks to let me catch my breath and calm down in order not to throw up.
    As expected, burpees were the worst for me. Just why do they have to be a part of every single work-out? :D I felt a bit nauseaous in them and in the push-ups with head down. Probably not because I still wasn't feeling well, but because I ate too much just before the training :Angel: Anyway, it was as exhausting as always, and I walked home on legs having trouble bending. And trying to avoid doing things where I'd have to raise my arms :D Whew.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  13. Nachi

On Saturday I was sore all over and wanted to catch on the sleep, so I skipped dojo training in the morning :Angel:

Sunday:

It was a beautiful day, trees finally turning green and my dad took me out on a bike again. We rode to the same pond as I did a week ago, only my dad showed me a different patch. Somewhat.
    Distance: 29,87 km (+ around 1 km when my tachometer wasn't clicked in properly)
    Time: 2:05 (+ lets say 4 or 5 mins for that kilometer)

From my parents' house I also brought my roller skates, it's about time I gave them a try! :)

Edit: Wow, my 777th post! :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  14. Nachi

Monday 10.4.17:

18:30-20:00 - Beginner class:
    - I came slightly late when sensei was doing a warm-up with the tatami put on - jumping legs together then on one leg, then the ather across all the tatami squares. As I came late I didn't hear the instruction and although I thought sensei might want us to do only one jump per square, I mostly did that. Until the end on the one-legged jumps when I was a last one and caught up with the girls in front of me doing a lot of tiny jumps, so I did more small jumps, too. Sensei saw someone and explained he wanted only one jump per square and asked who didn't do it. I told the truth I didn't know adn probably didn't do it properly, so sensei sent me to do one more round of any type I wanted (the others totally kept silent! :D). Then we did several more rounds with jumping in a squat, sideways in a squat, some break falls (front, back), mae ukemi, running on all four - forward + backward, footwork slides forward and backward, going with kizami tsuki, plenty of hiza geri and some mae geri and so on. Fairly tiring :)
    - Junbi undo/stretching
    - Renzoku kumite one the spot - adding up combinations.
    - Practising a combination from Renzoku kumite in pairs (adding up techniques), then a variation with mawashi geri and open handed techniques
    - Various push-ups or belly exercises in between changing partners
    - I had a sneaky mood today and I tried to look at the other brown belt and jump on his foot when I caught his attantion. He probably misunderstood I was being friendly and never dodged :evil: On my second attempt, though, he would send a quick slap to the back of my head, but I ducked instinctively! Hahaha! :D But before I had the time to put on a proper smug face, he changed his hand's direction, turned it back and slapped my forehead instead :mad:. We'll see who wins next time, though! :evil:
    - Ehm, anyway, we ended with some rolling push-ups - way too many, maybe sixty. My head was spinning a bit and I was tired. Our girls' corner was already moaning and cursing and I didn't manage the last ten.
    Then we made a circle, arms on each other's shoulders, squat down and go all the way up and down on count. Half the people left the circle in the process, I managed to last, until 40, when it ended I suddenly felt, for a change, like I may be able to do more and was like: "Yay, and another 10!" But when I saw sensei who looked like he may actually come to fulfill my wish, in the end I chose to pretend like I said nothing. :D :meditate::whistle:
    - 2x Gekisai Dai Ni slowly
    - A bit of stretching at the end

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  15. Nachi

Tuesday 11.4.17:

I should be doing CrossFit twice a week according to my memebrship. I slept too short a time today and I thought doing CrossFit instead of spending an our on the road to the dojo + the training would save me some time.... for sleep :Angel:

16:00-17:00 - CrossFit:
    There was a coach - a different than the usual one. I only had one class with him over a month ago.
    - Warm-up: 5 mins of 10 lunges, 10 half-burpees or what was it - meaning a burpee without the push-up or lying on the floor in the middle, 2 rounds run around the gym. Wow, my thighs burned and I effectively was either the last or second to last person. I may have to do with yesterday's jumping and whatnot in the dojo as a friend said he had sore thighs all day. I didn't feel anything... until now :D

- Stretching

- Focus of the class: with my luck it was handstand push-ups and box jumps. For those of us who can't do those push-ups, we put our toes on a 60 cm box and did push-ups form there, with the top of the head pointing down and touching a special pillow. We were to do max reps per one minute, the other minute was 6 jumps on a box slightly higher than usual - for us girls 60 cm instead of 50, and rest for the rest of the minute. There were 14 minutes - 7 rounds of each. I wasn't sure if I didn't do the push-ups wrong as with the head pointing down, even if I always touched teh pillow, I actually didn't have to go very low. My total from those 7 minutes were 120 push-ups, although I wasn't sure if I got them right. I heard the other girl did around 80. Anyway, the coach decided it was probably too easy since we did so many, but it only deepedn my suspicion I did something wrong :(

- WoD:
    - Hm, luckily, there were surprisingly NO burpees and box jumps! :D Yaaaay! :D Although we did them earlier today.
    - There were only two exercises (yaaay! :D), one with a barbell, one with skipping rope. Skipping rope was either 25x double jumps or 75x normal jumps (my case).
    - The barbell exercise was snatches (10 per round). I didn't hear or didn't know what exactly he wanted us to do anyway, so I took a bar and loaded it up to 25 kg as the coach said. The weight was supposed to be 40 kg for men, 25 for women. I thought it was what we were supposed to load, but then saw none of the other women put on as much. Well, before I could change my mind, the coach came over. I asked him to explain the exercise. He did and approved of my weight: "Yeah, keep the weight, as for strenght, you've got plenty" - though I have no idea where he got that from :D, as he doesn't know me and I even obviously didn't even know how to do snatch properly. He expleained, though, checked my form and then watched from further away and pointed out what to do better.
    We were to go for 12 minutes (only, phew....) with no set number of rounds (thank goodness!)
    - I think I did well at the skipping rope - jumping as little as I could and quickly do the 75 reps. I always made at least one mistake and had to resume from there, but the snatches took much more time. Beginning with the second round, I took breaks and didn't hurry anything. From third round I stopped after every single snatch, for the time it takes for a few breaths to calm my breath and gather strenght to make sure I'll be able to do the snatch with one strong pull. Also focusing a lot on the technique as it was explained to me. It was tiring, but as long as not much of cardio was involved... :D After the coach's many remarks to use my feet and lift the heels off the ground to help the pull, I think I did better at the end. It's one of those things I find hard to coordinate.
    - I only did 4 full rounds + 4 more snatches. Most people did at least a round or two more, I'd think, but as there wasn't a goal set, I couldn't care less. I'd rather do everything properly than rush it and potentially got injured. Also te guys close to me of course had much heavier weight, but as they already used the 10 kg weights on each end, they would be able to just let go of the bar to fall down freely. As for my 5 kg weights, I had to pull it out and put it down myself, which probably added a little bit to the overall difficulty.
    - Speaking of which, after the month I wasn't going there, I lost my "hard worked for" calluses and so I managed to tear blisters today - on the left hand only. I only found out after the 4th round, so did the few last snatches very carefully, as I wasn't masochistic enough to get a fully strong grip and I used mostly just fingers for that hand. A bad idea, I suppose, but I was especially careful and unless I was sure I can hold it well enough, I would have never tried.
    - Only after the training, in the changing room I spoke to another friendly women, who said well done for taking the full weight. I said that if I knew we didn't have to lead 25 kg form the beginning, I wouldn't have. She was surprised I did it for the first time basically and understood why I was going at a slow pace. She then explained to me the 25 kg weight was "RX" or what - like a reference or a weight required for competitiors or something? Had I known that.... :D

Oh, and I totally know what I got my muscles at the sides of the calves sore from some time ago! I couldn't get up from a squat for some time and after today it's become clear it's form those damn box jumps! I just hope I'll be able to move tommorrow.... :D

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  16. Nachi

Wednesday 12.4.17:

18:00-19:00 - Beginner class at uni:

- Junbi Undo
    - Tsuki + basic blocks solo, then practise in pairs. There was an even number of students, so I just demonstrated with sensei and then went around helping the others.
    - In between exercises: 20 push-ups with legs held up (horizontally to ground) by partner and probably 100 sit-ups with legs raised and feet touching with partner
    - A game - everyone sits down, locking elbows together, the biggest guy starts to pull people out. Anyone pulled out helps with pulling other people. I tried to push the pullers with my feet or prevent them from grabbing my hands like that so they first skipped me and I managed to keep them away for some time. Before we knew it, out of the around 20 people, I was hugging an arm of one guy, who just let go of the last person. We weren't clear if the game was over as there were only two of us left (that we won), but before we got into a better grip, they caught us and pulled. We still struggled, but when sensei, who was just watching until now grabbed me, I knew it was over :D
    - I felt my arms tired, also partly because of yesterday's training. And even standing in the basic stance - heiko dachi with knees slightly bent, my legs kept trembling from the sore calves.

I will have to skip tommorrow's training as I have some work (there will be no sensei anyway) and hopefully will thus get time to recover somewhat.

17. Nachi

Easter Monday 17.4.2017

Sensei planned an Easter training. I was very busy doing some promised work over Easter holidays, so I thought I would skip. However, I got a call from sensei that his son was just born and today we were to celebrate!
    There was no training in the end (and because we didn't change to gi, we've also been spared being showered in the clothes by the guys or beaten, as an Easter tradition goes), but it was an interesting evening nonetheless. Unlike others, I live far but drove a car to the dojo - a mistake, obviously. So I started with following two people to their homes to leave their cars there, picking them up and driving to a restaurant. In the process, we decided that sensei, who is an abstinent (like really an abstinent - he had his last shot and maybe last alcohol 15 years ago), should drink some. What should be drank upon if not a newborn baby? So, I picked sensei, drove behind him to his home, picked him up and back to the restaurant. We managed to "feed him" 3 shots :D …only because his abstinent younger brother agreed to follow suit. He didn't look like it tasted well, though a friend picked something quite sweet, supposedly. Sensei said his head was spinning after two, but to me he looked fine. For the first glass, I got vodka. This one was really good. What a pity that I only tasted a little and had to pass it to someone to drink the rest, as I was the driver today… Not too late I drove sensei and another friend. Just when I stopped in front of sensei's place, it turned out the car following me was police. Oh man! My first roadside check ever, I think. To be honest, my heart was thumping as I did drink that little bit of vodka like two hours ago and as I don't usually drink before driving, I was a bit nervous if there wasn't some residue after all. Whew, I was lucky. Sensei sat in the car throughout the whole check before leaving, probably just to enjoy himself…or being a gentleman, who knows :D
    …so in the end my training today was basically about not getting tempted by alcohol and a driving practise. :)

Tuesday 18.4.17:

I still have a lot of work, so I decided to skip training, but at least went to the CrossFit place, which takes much less time. And I need to be consistent with my visits anyway.

16:00-17:00 - CrossFit:

- Warm-up: 5 mins of: 10 squats, 10 burpees without going down in the push-up, 2 rounds around the gym (finished 3 rounds)
    - Stretching
    - Main program today were overhead squats. Something I have maybe been shown and tried once in the introductory course, though I am not even sure about that. The coach first explained quite to the detail how to go about it which was nice, than we found ourselves a rack and a bar. He reminded us it is also about a range of motion and many people struggle with it. If we're fine, it will then indeed be only a test of strenght. I tried and added weight as I was also encouraged. Coach was going around and checking when we were doing squats, giving us tips, noting mistakes.
    I did:
    maybe 5x? empty bar (15 kg)
    5x? 20 kg
    3x 23 kg
    3x 25 kg
    3x 28 kg
    3x 30 kg
    3xš 33 kg

I was pondering if I should stop at 30, because, after all, this was my first time, but decided that if I'll be careful, I can do more. I didn't push any further, though.

Oh, and as last time I noted the coach can't possibly remember me, since he saw me just once about a month before.... he totally does! I am not sure how, since I am usually an inconspicuous person. (Though ok, so far I am the, ehm, probably heaviest woman there, so maybe that's why?...and I am also maybe the only one to not wear leggings. Which, now that I think of it, actually might make me quite conspicuous :D)......... Anyway, when he came by, he praised my range of motion, asking: "You said you did some martial art, didn't you? So you stretch often?". Wow, I have to praise his memory, I've no idea I even told him that :D

- And for the final workout, we were to do 4 rounds (or go until the 17-minute time limit is over) of: 150x jumping rope (or 50x double jumps - I wish!), 30 (!) wall ball (someone must have gone crazy) and 10 barbell cleans.
    - Well, I was smarter today and didn't indeed take 35 kg for the barbell :D But 25 kg like the other (women at least). I wasn't sure which ball to pick. I was looking for a 12 lbs one which I didn't find and took 14, which I think I originally practised with. I asked the others what they picked, as I've not muchidea about what the standard is or what I can do. They had 10 lbs, so I went to change mine, too. Coach told me "You can keep that one, karatist!", but I was smarter and replied I didn't want to, though :D I kind of felt today will be a big struggle for me :D
    As for the jumping rope, I adjusted its lenght for shorter, which gave me trouble during the work-out, so I had to re-adjust, which caused me to be far behind everyone from the very beginning (oh well :D). Still getting sme trouble as time progressed and the jumping rope often got caught by shoes or whatever, especially when I was tired in the 3rd round. In the time limit, I managed just to finish 3 rounds, when I speeded up at the end. I was far beind everyone and I am not there to die, so I wouldn't care to compete. And I had a feeling there's no way I can finish this work-out from the very beginning, too :D

And so far for my observation - the probably main, female coach there is terrifying as she won't let you rest - like she would psych you up if you try to take a tiny breather during the work-out, but she doesn't tend to overload me. This coach, on the contrary, will just tell you to not laze about, but he would usually like me to go as heavy as I can for anything we do. I will just have to find a nice compromise to abide by.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  18. Nachi

Tuesday:

Skipped training because busy. The cracked mirrors were exchanged today in the dojo for new and for safety reasons, it was forbidden to train there. Sensei wanted t go outside, but it actually even snowed today, so basically no one came, so there was no training in the end (great, I didn't miss out on anything!) :)

Wednesday 19.4.17:

18:00-19:30 - Uni class:

There was an odd number of people in the beginning, so I participated too - a practise of techniques in pairs, push the partner back to the wall - my partner was the aikido guy, who tried his aikido means of using my energy to let me go forward and turn me when unexpected, but I sort of expected it. I came close to pushing him one time, but we ended with a tie, 10 burpees (not here, too!)
    - Change partners and this time, pull partner to the wall on your side. I had a girl as a partner and upper hand this time. 10 jumping squats with knees high (my legs hurt from yesterday - not much, but I felt it when exercising and sensei was making us work our legs. Ouch. :)
    - Again exchanged partners. Mine was a guy who was attending also the last semester, so I am a bit more familiar with him and he used to do Shotokan for not too long I think. This time, sit down, back to back and push partner to the wall. Well, he pushed me back right at the beginning, before I could make up my mind that I am not losing this and managed to turn the tides. He tried desperate underhanded means like tickling me, but to no avail :evil: 15 push-ups or something
    - With the same partner stretching in pairs. He wasn't obviously very comfortable with it, so I went quite easy and only pushed gently. Until I remembered him tickling me and pulled a bit harder when needed :evil:
    - The class today was about what we usually do in the self-defence class. Practising breakfalls and what to do when down - how to kick back the attacked as fast as possible, how to get us without using hands, how to keep the attacker away, when down.
    - 15 V-ups, 10 push-ups and hmmm, one more exercise (in pairs) in between.
    - Another person came, so I just demonstrated with sensei and assisted when needed. We did quite a lot of things. One, an unconspicuous take down (step partner on one foot, push-him back). Sensei was just explaining how you can easily push a heavier partner, too: "Look at us, I weight some 5... or 10 kg more than her (me) and it works." I shot an ugly look at him with people giggling, as sensei is about 25 kg heavier, actually! ...and pushed him again. He then said to hold hands with the partner at the beginning so we don't have to fall down, partner holds us up. He pushed me, demonstrating that. I trusted him, but as he held me, he lost stability and we were close to crashing down, the both of us. So he couldn't leave it without a smirk and a comment that the weight difference can't be too much after all. I so wanted to punch him! :D
    - We practised reactions and fast effective hits, some defensive, not aggressive body language, ways to strike with various body parts when hugged from behind. This includes the usual butt strike, when the attacker hugs you close. I demonstrated gently with sensei, worried to hit too much. But he didn't mind or later practised with a hand protecting his groin. We then hurried as the time was up and he wanted me to show the three strikes we learned consecutively. When his free hand was protecting his head and I was about to butt strike, he just started to say "carefu... ouch" :'). Well, he shrugged a bit, but walked away fine like nothing had hapened. The strike still wasn't that hard after all (and I think he already has some practise in this) :Angel:

It was a fun class today. Though after yesterday and today combined, my thight are really sore XD

Thursday: There's a 108 Saifa challenge today. However. I've got a commission with some problems. Got again a tough and final deadline, so I will have to miss it as well as tommorrow's kobudo training, sadly :(

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  19. Nachi

This week was really bad. I had too much work with a commission the commissioner suddenly wanted done and improved with terrible deadlines, so with my normal work, I basically didn't leave my home at all for the past week. I skipped the 108 Saifa challenge, Friday originally planned CrossFit and also kobudo training with guests from a different karate dojo who came to Prague because of Saturday's national seminar in Prague that I have been looking forward to. I worked all day to ensure I'd have time at least for that one, but some unexpected stuff happened and I... stayed home :mad:. I was really unhappy as you can imagine. I got a call from sensei later that day. Apparently there have been a lot of brown belts from different dojos so I would have had a nice practise with all those people in the group. And there were also five newbies from faculty who were interested, which is not too few! The seminar had about 50 people and sensei was a bit sad that from our, largest dojo there were only around 10. But it can't be helped and I am really sad I had to miss it. And finally, in the end I missed a Thai massage on Sunday that I have had reserved for three weeks. Well, at least my mum enjoyed it in my stead... And on top of it, some things came up, including other changes to the commission, meaning I had to work in the evening and had to skip Monday's and then also today's class too :mad:
    What a terrible week!

At least I fitted a CrossFit class in today:

1 hour CrossFit:

- 4 minute warm-up: 10 squats with (10 lbs) medicine balls (+ touching them to the ground when up), 10 push-ups, 10 jumping jacks, repeat
    - Stretching
    - Technical part: Power cleans and overhead squats with a barbell. We were even told to go technical and without the need to push for a too heavy weight. The technique was explained in detail and practised beforehand with a plactic stick and the coach was going around giving advise. We took the bars and were told we can add weight, but don't have to (too much). I started as everyone, every girl at least (the guys are in a league I can't really compare with). Then went up to 20 kg and as everyone was adding, I went to 25 kg. Before I realised without my glasses I didn't see the girls all didn't go above 25, so I wasn't sure if I did the right thing, as I am a newbie. I could probably take a bit more heavy thing, but there was no reason to push for it and I was better off focusing on doing it right. I had some problems with the technique, but at that time, the coach nodded at me it was ok. It was mostly technnical work, so we all did usually just one rep at a time. I usually put my hands on the bar and take a while to think and imagine the movement to do before I try to realise it as best as I can.

- WoD: 14 minutes of:
    - 10 thrusters (the weight for girls was set to 25 kg. I asked the coach. Aside from the technique being new to me, I could fo it, but it's hard to tell if I'd last all the reps). Other girls had 20, one 25. This time, coach said it's ok to keep 25, but I can also have less. So I only took 20 kg. (note to self: Thruster starts with bar at the neck, do a squat and push the bar overhead when you go up - don't mind me, I know you all know what a thruster is! :p )
    - 10 burpees with a sideways jump over the bar (hehe, the smaller weights took the bar to be really low :p - what a good choice!) :D
    - 3 rounds around the gym

- as much as I am happy I can do quite fine for strenght work (aside from lacking experience), the cardio is a killer for me! The work-out was apparently put together by the coach, who was joking at the beginning he was thinking about burpees, rinning and pull-ups or what, but he was kind and changed it to thrusters (thank goodness!). I think I was the slowest, only managed 3 rounds and the 10 thrusters. Many people finished over 4 rounds. I was warned about the competitive side of CrossFit. I tend to write here how I did compared to others, so I can see my improvement or see where I am lacking compared to fitter people. But I don't really feel bad for being last/worst or whatever, when I feel drained and like I did a good job and the most I could or was doing it smart. I am there for myself and really care about how I did for myself. Sure, seeing how the people around are doing tends to push me forward, but still in a healthy way - like it prevents me from taking breaks that aren't 110% necessary :D
    Anyway, this cardio was too much for me as usual. Though I think I could do with a heavieer weight for the thrusters, the biggest problem laid in me breathing hard unable to calm my breath and hold it in to firm up my core for the squat. That being the case, I felt the 20 kg was more than enough.

Other than that, I found today's work-out with the bar and then also maybe a bit because or the burpees quite difficult on wrists. At the end they felt strained, but I did two rounds of wrist stretches we do at karate and it was waaay better :) If working with the bar will help strenghten the wrists, that would be great! :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  20. Nachi

Wednesday 26.4.17:

18:00-19:30 - Uni class:
    At the entrance I got asked by urious students why did I skipped the big weekend seminar that even some of them attended.... :mad: aaaaa, I so wish I could have, too!
    Another questions were if we are going to do the iron body conditioning. We do once every semester so I promised I will remind sensei :)
    Today usual sensei couldn't come, out third sensei who doesn't appear too often came instead. Scolded me right away wha I didn't arrive yesterday for his class at the dojo...

- We started with three different types of a game of tag and one other similar game.
    - Sensei then grabbed the shoulder straps of my top, dragging me in the middle of the circle, totally treating me like some leashed dog :mad: Still holding onto them he tells me: "Jump!", "Keep jumping!", "Higher!", "Higher!" .... and then he swept my feet when up so that I can falls and practise how to :mad: Sometimes I wonder where senseis get these ideas :D I was then paired with the biggest guy there. He had a bit of trouble with timing, so I let him mostly take me down. However, he always only kicked my legs, when I landed. So no falling, just kicking my legs. Ouch :D
    - Stretching in pairs
    - Some drills of techniques/blocks/kicks/dodging/joint locks in groups of three. For the last, third version I only went around helping people.
    - Sensei was thinking about what to do, thinking also about the iron body conditioning I told him that is a good idea as it will definitely make some people very happy. And it did :D We changed in pairs. I started with sensei, then went around. Sensei then only "borrowed" me when the forearm strenghtening was over and he wanted to show the punching to the body. He didn't go easy to demonstrate and a few rounds of two punches felt like it could be enough. I was then again paired with the big guy, who used to do karate, too. He started in a similar fashion as sensei, and already feeling the precise places where sensei hit me, I thought, I can't possibly last through this long. However, when I then reciprocated with similar strenghts, my partner soon realised it feels worse than it looks and started to cave his body in, sort of, in order to avoind the impact if possible, which doesn't really work. And soon went very easy and gently :D Thank goodness. I tried to push just a tiny bit harder, but to be honest was very happy we didn't continue the whole time like we started. :D
    - Another round was also punching to the torso, this time sitting in seiza. The strongest looking guy then found me as his partner and I thought my belly won't have it easy, today :D It luckily, again, wasn't as terrible as I thought, as he also couldn't stand another round of too hard a punching. Despite the way to punch was like it is sometimes is: If it's guy, then two punches to the chest, two to the belly, if it's a girl, four punches to the belly. Yeah, exactly! Where is the fairness in this? :D
    - Then after changing partners there were some slapping rounds, pinning partner down from seiza (I had the two smallest girls there were, so I didn't get tired too much and after three winning rounds, instead or resting, tried to teach one of my partners how to turn the partner, instead of pushing them away from the front. Which, considering her frame, definitely wasn't a good strategy for her.)
    - Then twice taking partner down until tap out. My first partner sort of gave up just when she was taken down. My second partner was almost agian the big guy, but I managed to run away :D Anyway, we were supposed to partner with someone new each round. I had another guy, but no matter how long we tried, none of us managed to take the other down.

It was a nice training. :) And I promised to not tell the usual sensei that we already did some iron body conditioning, as it would be a pity if he knew and didn't do it with us again :D

...The day after, also partly because of Tuesday's CrossFit, I am sore at several places, but most of all, those spots on the belly where the knuckles always landed.... feel very delicate, today :Angel: