Any good classes in Southampton / Winchester Hampshire area?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by uglylittlespud, Mar 19, 2017.

1. uglylittlespud

uglylittlespud New Member

Hi,
    I'm looking for a good kung fu class in these areas if anyone knows of any? I contacted these guys -

http://www.formandmind.co.uk/

But no reply as yet, also I found a Choy Li Fut class run by Zheng Dao Lo, along with generic 'kung fu' and also more generic 'kung fu' being run by Wutan - does anyone have any experience of these schools?

Thanks!

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I think the big question is how do you define good?
    There are pros and cons to all those groups, so a big part will be what you want to get out of it.
    There appears to be a Bak Mei group in Crampmoor too which is probably worth considering, maybe Mushroom knows something about it?

3. uglylittlespud

uglylittlespud New Member

Ok, so I would define good as somewhere that practices live sparring, applications and has instructors with a definable lineage. A single style is perhaps preferable too, but the other factors are more important. :)

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

So, the Xingyiquan place is a single style with applications, but it doesn't look like it has live sparring. Wutan and Zhengdaolo both have full contact kickboxing programmes but they're separate from the Kung Fu classes (this is a common problem in Kung Fu circles) and both have some lineage questions for some of the stuff they teach (although some stuff and for ZDL in particular their lineage is pretty decent).
    Sadly sounds like what you want is my classes, but you're too far away.

5. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

The Pak Mei group in Crampmoor has a clear lineage and a good reputation in teaching traditional TCM. Lineage is clear. I'm not sure what is taught in their classes but there is a phone number available if you want to discuss it with the gentleman running the club. You need to look up Pak Mei and not Bak Mei or you won't find the club.

LFD

6. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!