Martial Arts Planet  

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet > General Topics > Self Defence
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 21-Mar-2017, 03:04 PM
Valued Member

I once fell on the ground unconscious.
Right in a hospital.

I landed with the back of my head first, I think.
Loud "thump" when I hit the floor, biiiig bump on my head - and a night at the hospital after all, because it had followed a little opeartion.

I was told, due to the lose muscles, the body gets some protection as well, but I don't know if that's entirely true.
Old 21-Mar-2017, 03:27 PM
MAPper without portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latikos View Post
I was told, due to the lose muscles, the body gets some protection as well, but I don't know if that's entirely true.
No, not in the "going limp helps you survive injuries" sense, but it is a common myth.

'There is a folk belief that drunken injuries, especially those incurred during car crashes, are likely to be less severe, due perhaps to increased relaxation or limpness at the time of an accident. But Friedman says his research has convinced him that this belief is "probably grossly overestimated and false."

His findings don't show that a drunk driver's injuries during a car crash are likely to be less serious than those suffered by potential sober victims, just that if all parties suffer the same injuries, the sober ones are more likely to die.

"You don't die from the injury itself, you die from the subsequent physiological response, things like inflammation and rapid fluid loss," Friedman told Life's Little Mysteries. "If you get shot by a gun, it's not the hole that kills you."'

- http://www.livescience.com/24979-alc...y-outcome.html
http://www.marboschool.co.uk/
Old 22-Mar-2017, 05:25 PM
Cactus Schlong

One thing that "one punch deaths" make me realise is how you have to get your ego in check and have a really good honest look at when, where and why you'll actually get physical and have a "fight".
What you'll fight for and what you'll let slide. Think about situations and what you'll do, how far you'll let someone go before smacking them.
If you have to smack someone you have to be sure in yourself you REALLY had to do it. So if they get badly hurt you're at least at peace with yourself you acted "well" even if the law may say otherwise.
Old 23-Mar-2017, 05:16 AM
Valued Member

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...cide-1-4400553

Another one-punch death. Very sad.

Half the Facebook comments are "hang hI'm, he's foreign!" Which is frightening. Makes me wonder if they even read the article.

My Blog about combat sports