Martial Arts Planet  

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet > Styles > Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 14-Oct-2016, 06:42 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_pool View Post
That is very very very unusual, how did you keep your gi shut?
Lol. Like I said the gym I was at had its own belt system. Though the instructor was a brown belt and then black belt under Rickson by the time I left, he always made everyone test under another very high level Riskon representative. The times I have popped into other BJJ gyms this has always been a very interesting thing for me. As most just think I know nothing and I have a hard time explaining why I can hang with, if not get the better of blue belts but never can say I have any actual rank in the system. Would love to get back to BJJ some day but as for now priorities are else where.
Old 10-Mar-2017, 03:13 AM
Valued Member

Took me 2 years training twice per week.
Old 10-Mar-2017, 08:49 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahadZubu View Post
It also depends if you want to compete or not. Generally if you are competing, it is going to take longer to get belted.
I was under the impression that if you compete it would work the other way round. Is that wrong or just more dependent on the coach?

raisedspirit.com
Old 10-Mar-2017, 10:07 AM
Valued Member

In our school competition has no bearing on how long it takes to get a belt. We don't have a competition team or a fight team. We are one team ^^

My Blog about combat sports
Old 10-Mar-2017, 10:22 PM
Goes well with everything

Im aiming for blue after 2 years. Even though I have a bit of experience behind me, I'm treating it as starting from scratch. Also aiming for 2 classes a week when I can. If I can get more in I would. But sometimes due to work I end up with 1 class in a week or none at all.

Freestyle Wrestling / Muay Thai / Pak Mei

www.ukpakmei.org
Old 12-Mar-2017, 12:02 PM
the merc with the mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
Im aiming for blue after 2 years. Even though I have a bit of experience behind me, I'm treating it as starting from scratch. Also aiming for 2 classes a week when I can. If I can get more in I would. But sometimes due to work I end up with 1 class in a week or none at all.
With prior grappling experience, consistent training, and inteligent/directed rolling thats definitely doo able, at twice a week.

Youve wrestled before yes? in which case your turtle game and base should be pretty good already.

If you try and concentrate on guard and sweeps to get on top to start every/most rolls that could be a good way to avoid the pitfalls of being a better wrestler learning bjj.