Things that make you go GRRRRR.... (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Rhea, Aug 1, 2008.

1. khuang85

khuang85 New Member

Grrrrrrrrrr stupid Adalia bipunctata Geico ads! I swear if it weren't for new episodes of Big Bang Theory my tv would have been smashed to pieces and thrown out the window to avoid having to deal with those awful commercials! They're not funny and many are actually quite insulting!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2017
  2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Khuang85, please don't used profanity, masked or otherwise, as it is against the rules here on MAP. Thank you for your cooperation with this policy.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Got really into some sparring last night. Got carried away with a big lad. He moved one way I punched the other and hit him far too hard in the eye socket.
    Really annoyed with myself. Lost sight of what I was doing, got fired up (not in an aggressive or angry way...just in a having a good tear up kind of way) and potentially hurt the guy.
    He's a lower grade than me (not that I put much stock in that kind of thing) and it shouldn't have happened.
    Messaged him on FB last night and he was fine with it and sees it as all part of the game.
    He's displaying a tenet of Taekwondo (indomitable spirit) far better than I displayed another one in self control.

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

That's awesome of you to admit that, Smit. I respect that. :hail:

5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I had something like a dispute or quarrel with one of my teachers, that actually made me consider leaving the club!

I doubt I'd do it in the end, and we had talked it through already, but I still don't feel quite at ease.
    Maybe because I'm even more confused now, than I was before.

But the fact alone, that the whole thing made me write a template of a letter of resignation, is driving me nuts, utterly independent of whether I'd do it (again, I doubt it) or not.

I hate conflicts like that!
    They leave me without a clue, because I just don't understand half of what happens/ has happened and they only show me how socially awkward I really am; with seemingly no idea of social interactions whatsoever.

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Honest this ****es me off moment:

Anytime anyone asserts that sex and gender are simple biological phenomena. Fact is that even something that is biologically grounded like sex is subject to a myriad of influences and interpretations.

Something socially defined like gender is even further open.

Goddamn.

7. philosoraptor

I had a falling out with a friend when I said that sex is not simply a matter of which set of chromosomes you're born with, but their interaction with the environment.

http://www.nature.com/news/sex-redefined-1.16943

One of the problematic phenomena that was new to me were scenarios like this:

It's clear that we have something like a bimodal distribution going on, but trying to make any discrete delineation is imposing a social construct on the data.

8. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You know Philo, human beings . . . . we're not that bright. We need social constructs, and your data doesn't fit along with the norm..

Sucks to be living 50 years in the future in your head don't it?

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

And the focus of some will be, which bathroom should she urinate in? Because that's important....

Mitch

10. philosoraptor

I mean, I get that we need social constructs, they're really, really useful, but somehow saying they're social constructs deflates them in terms of importance and how attached people are to them.

No one's going out of their way to legislate the biological species concept over the morphological species concept.

Damn, you really think fifty years?

So goddamn silly.

11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Boy, I need a vacation!
    A real one!
    One, that's a week or so long!

The aforementioned fight was essential about semantics and that I understand some things wrong or not the way they are actually meant, due to my social... impairment.

Everything is fine again, we talked it through, I think I annoyed him a bit by not understanding it properly right away :rolleyes:, but due to trying that wasn't a real thing.

But it did made me realize, that I need a real vacation.
    Getting away from here for a week or so, maybe a bit longer; maybe training somewhere for the fun alone* and see some new things...

*okay, that's like 95% of the time anyway the case, but the other 5% include some pressure.
    Pressure I actually don't mind in the sense, but that would be fine to get ignored for a few days ;)

That it escalated like this, even only in my mind, is not letting go off me.

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I told you the other day "because penis"

13. philosoraptor

I was talking to one of my relatives and they literally said that was the metric by which we should decide who should use what bathroom and I thought of our conversation. Sigh.

14. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'm having a run.

Today I had fight my my Sensei.
    Nearly made it's way into nervous breakdown-land.
    It scratched on it, actually.

Story of my life and reason to never go there again! Ever! - I started crying.
    On the mats.
    For everyone to see.

At least we had a cleansing little storm and are essentially fine; no ongoing fight or whatever.
    He even explained to me, why he did and does and what he... does (is that even a sentence?), and it makes sense.

But, boy, what a day.
    Guess, I will be dreaming of nervous breakdowns tonight!

15. Frodocious

I'm a foodie. I love eating good food and trying new foods, but I find the idea of eating challenges grossly offensive. The idea of eating food that is so hot it makes your eyes burn or eating enough food to feed a family of four for at least a day just offends me. There are people starving to death in some low to middle income countries and others in the western world who have to rely on food banks, so someone stuffing themselves to vomitting just to get a t shirt or their name on a wall plaque makes me so angry!

16. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Why? I personally find food wastage very offensive, but I don't see the harm or understand why someone entering a very hot chilli contest affects food banks etc. Also the comment about someone eating enough for a family of four I don't get. Do you feel the same about an athlete like a long distance runner taking in say 10k calories a day? Cos that could technically feed a family of 5.

17. Frodocious

If you need the calories for your lifestyle, then I have no problem with that. If you are just eating it to get a t-shirt or your name on a wall, then yes, I find that offensive. And yes I see the argument that it wouldn't be going to a food bank anyway, but it's just the idea of eating as a competitive activity when there are people starving to death or having to use food banks.

18. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Why is being a competitive eater worse than entering long distance running competitions, or being a bodybuilder?

Isn't entering eating competitions a lifestyle choice?

Food wastage from eating competitions is absolutely insignificant compared to agricultural practices forced onto farmers by supermarkets, or the the fact that ordinary people throw away 1/3rd of the food they buy.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

IMHO it's not the scale of the waste but the reasoning behind it (or indeed lack of reasoning).
    I'm with Frodo (and hobbits are know for liking food).
    I can hate both the waste from agriculture, needless waste AND the mindless idiocy of "eating competitions" in a world where people starve to death.

20. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I think it's dodgy territory. Not that you can't have an emotional reaction to eating competitions, which admittedly are gross.

What about people doing the ice bucket challenge while people can't get access to water?

What about people who travel by air when the carbon cost is untenable? How about central heating?

You see where I'm going with this...

As an emotional reaction it's fair enough, but it isn't a very rational thing to get angry about in the scheme of things.