How about we bonsai, why not?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by philosoraptor, May 26, 2013.

1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Looks like you might have kept her out during some cold weather or cold + wind. The reason I can tell is the apex looks a little bare. Nothing to worry about, soon as spring rolls around she'll be putting out more than enough buds, just keep her out of the cold + wind as you settle into whatever passes for late winter in Florida. Have you started looking for a permanent pot yet?

2. philosoraptor

I know a potter who does OK custom work for cheap. Still more attractive than that terrible rubber thing I sent you.

3. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I have a nice little tree that my daughter gave me for Christmas. It seems to like living in poverty with me!! :' D

Will post some pics soon for advice and to allow reasonable laughing at my lack of silvaculture skills! :' P

LFD

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I actually took two other pics as well. One of that top branch with no leaves, and one at the bottom.

Unfortunately she's caught two nights in the higher 30s, and there have been a couple early mornings in the 30s (I get up around 4am) where she was inside and I didn't put her out because of the cold/wind, so she'll get no sun for a day or two. Not too many cold days, but there have been some really windy ones. I'm not always home to bring her in during the wind, and the weather in Florida can change at a moment's notice.

It's kind of hard to make sure she stays out of the cold at night. The weather will literally change from 70-80 during the day and maintaining 60's at night, to one night it decides to be freaking 38, and then it's 80 again during the day. And weather forecast is rarely accurate.

I've seen a couple of decent pots I might change her over to in the spring. I really want to build a platform for some wiring stuff during that time.

5. philosoraptor

30s is no bueno, 40 is usually my cutoff for bringing them in, but I've been known to mess up. Regardless, she looks healthy enough, no damage that can't be undone by a summer of growth.

I call this time of year the bonsai shuffle. Moving them in and out, in and out. Awful work.

I'm getting ready to put in an order to H & F imports, they have pretty good cheap Chinese pots.

[​IMG]

Here's my little yamadori Douglas Fir, should be a nice little tree in time.

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, the days that were really cold had an affect. Some of the leaves started reddening, but a couple of nice days and plenty of water and they were back to green within a matter of days. Not sure if that's good for the plant though 0_0. I believe I read on the article stuff you gave me that coming back from cold days uses up resources the plant is building up for the growing season, or something like that.

Awful work eh? You know the tree I got from you weights like 40 freakin' pounds right? I have to carry her across the yard from where she's posted up, about 50 yards xD.

As far as the pot goes, I think I'm going to use the dimensions of the pot she's in now, and build something out of wood. Something that'll be firmer for carrying in and out instead of the floppy pot she's in now which wasn't made for constant transporting to and from the house : P. That said, I do have a couple questions concerning that.

1.) Enamel covered wood (to reduce rot) isn't going to be detrimental to the plant is it?

2.) When I repot, do I keep most of the soil it's already in and just add some new, fresh soil? Or do I need to get a lot of the old soil off?

The fir looks nice in that pot in your picture! I need to take a photo of mine indoors with a light on it. The vibrance of the green leaves indoors is absolutely stunning. I might uses my brother's high end camera to capture it because it's really something.

7. philosoraptor

I mean, honestly man I will never tell a military man to quit whining but... I've got some 40 trees of this same size that need to be transported that distance. Quite a few that need two people to move them and my fiancee won't do it :O

I'd guess it would be fine. Wood should allow for anchors to be screwed in allowing for some branch development. Alternative would be MICA pots which might look better but cost more and not really help in advancing the tree.

I'd cut some wedges out of the root ball. I've got some literature on repotting, let me scan it up and send it to you. Essentially stuff growing down is bad, stuff growing out is good.

Hell yeah! This is a MICA pot like I was talking about, good for training trees before they get in their final pot.

Edit: You're about to have a veryyyy busy season in front of you, the tree has a lot of cool work to do to it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  8. philosoraptor

axelb likes this.
  9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

My mum is interested in getting some bonsai for the conservatory and she was wondering how they survey in varying temperature. In winter it can be quite cold in there and in summer it gets really hot. Are there species that would be good at coping with temperature variations? Thank you! :)

10. philosoraptor

Where are you located?

[​IMG]

This map is your friend.

She'd be better off keeping things in the conservatory for the winter and setting them outside for the spring and summer...

Frodocious likes this.
  11. Frodocious

I'm in the UK

12. philosoraptor

You can keep a lot of nice trees.

Bonsai4Me :: Bonsai

This guy has a ton of good information for you, and is growing in your country. Tony Tickle, Graham Potter, and perhaps most of all, Peter Warren are acclaimed UK bonsai artists. Warren apprenticed in Japan for many years under, I think, Kunio Kobayashi. I don't know about keeping bonsai in a greenhouse year round, but any of the species typically kept in Japan should work for you if you're willing to take them outside in the spring and summer.

axelb and Frodocious like this.
  13. Frodocious

That's great, thank you! I'll pass this on to my mum. :)

axelb likes this.
  14. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

My mum grew 2 bonsai's (still going) in the UK, both trees have been outside for 35+ years. They seem to survive well enough in our climate (south East England).

Frodocious likes this.
  15. philosoraptor

Before and after of a Sierra Juniper. One year progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frodocious and axelb like this.