An old school hakka challenge match

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by icefield, Dec 29, 2016.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

From way back in the day, two Hakka kung fu masters settling a dispute, fast forward to 14mins for round 1, wait around for the students going hell for leather afterwards, and wait around for the final rematch at the end!!:)

https://vimeo.com/53998850

I put this gem up as was reading this from hagood (blond master)
    http://southernmantispress.com/winter-2016---17-news.htm

whilst I agree with allot of what he says, I have trouble seeing anything Hakka, mantis or special about what he did in that fight although the kick to the chin rocked :D

It is nice to see a Chinese teacher downplaying forms and talking upnthe need for partner training though

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

What utter lunacy did I just watch? Seriously.

3. holyheadjch

To save other people the time of watching this tripe, I found a brief summary of this video from http://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19568

If that is representative of the practitioners (both in skill and in character) of that particular art, then I hopes it dies out, soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2016
  4. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I don't think that the summary is completely accurate since I didn't see ''Master B'' do anything other than try to sucker punch the other guy a couple times (including when ''Master A'' was helping B up).

These guys are from 2 different Hakka styles. I'm not sure that you can really see the styles in either of their fighting. Funny thing is that the fellow in the green shirt (B) was reputedly a high level master. He did something , as far as I understand things, that involved slagging A off and withholding money that was owed. A supposedly got tired of being made to look a fool so came to sort B out.

Not pretty. Not representative of the styles involved. One more bad video that makes CMA in general look silly.

LFD

5. Late for dinner

A quote from the rum soaked fist page 7

''a couple of things: I watched only the beatdown at first and that held Roger in a bad light. I then watched the whole thing and noted that: It was Wong that invited Hagood to fight in front of his students. Wong stated even after being knocked down repeatedly that Hagood was not using Kung Fu. Haqgood explained early on the Wong had been insulting him and family for some time.

Should he have repeatedly beaten him down, maybe not, but Wong did not know when to stop running his mouth off either. ''

Does explain things a bit more..

LFD

6. holyheadjch

There's no excuse. If someone calls you out, you behave like an adult and stay home. A quick google shows this loser had a reputation for doing stuff like this.

But that's not the worst thing - he let his student get the living hell beaten out of him, and for what? To salve his ego? Even after his student's head bounced off a concrete floor, he made him get back up and keep fighting. Scumbag.

7. Late for dinner

I make no excuses for either of these guys. I agree completely that the guy who let his student keep getting slapped about was inappropriate. I don't know either of them but had heard of this fight in the past.

When you say ''this scumbag had a reputation'' did you mean the first guy slagging off the 2nd or that 2nd guy went about challenging people? There is another guy with exactly the same name as the challenging sifu who has been charged with assault and is on the net.

Either way this was a really stupid way to do things but 20 years ago some people got so into the character they thought they were that they did do really stupid things (like the guys with cleavers and iron bars coming into our local karate club in the mid 70's) .

LFD

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

That was hilarious

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I posted this clip for a few reasons

Firstly because it’s the only clip I know of people (apparently) held in high regard in their own styles going at it, apart from the famous, (or infamous) white crane v tai chi ring fight of 60 years ago

Secondly because it shows people other than the Gracie’s actually accepting challenges and going at it, rightly or wrongly he was called out accepted and went for it

Thirdly because whilst giving props for Roger for accepting and winning, I find it hard to see the correlation between what he wrote about the need for developing a firm grounding and base in your art, developing its unique structure , learning to over come force with small angles usage and deflections etc, and how he and his student performed. Roger had 20 years in his style by then, and didn’t look anything like the mantis you see demoed.

And because as we can see in the second challenge the best thing to learn is to hit hard, nothing beats a power shot!

10. Late for dinner

You know we could get into why challenge matches became popular, how they were used (manipulated) to produce competitions that weren't always completely fair...

On the other hand-

I think that CMA people probably had some concerns about

1) reprisals from the losers group if info became public (to save face)

2) the philosophy of 'wude' was promoted in such a way to minimize showing that you were much better than others (as it was considered low brow, unethical or whatever to act the 'beast' and revel in winning a match).

On the third hand...

All you have to do is go watch shuai jiao, mongolian wrestling or related arts and you can see people openly trying to slam their opponents into the ground (notice that these arts tend to be associated with the muslim or other non-buddhist religions...)

But yes.. it is unusual to see CMA people fighting against others in open competitions.
    Sadly you are also correct that the matches don't seem to match the style that they train in all far too often.

All we can do is try to improve ourselves and hopefully find venues/competitions to test ourselves. I will keep my eyes open for you!

;' )

LFD

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

That side kick though. Ouch.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Looked a bit like Sweet Chin Music :)

13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

The guy obviously has some skills, and the other lads student has some serious power thats for sure

14. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

wow....an average boxer or a nak muay thai could've butchered any of them.....it's clear they don't have ANY full contact experience at all :eek: in fact, I doubt they have any hard sparring experience either?? More importantly, what idiots fight without a gum shield?! they're supposed to have years of experience?!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  15. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Wow, what a shower of idiots doing a bunch of fluff.

I'll save anyone thinking of watching the video some time: big lady wins by RNC! :D