Would I enjoy Choy Lay Fut or Wing Chun more?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Vinny Lugo, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

I know this is like my other thread but another member told me to it may be a decent idea to make this thread.

I took Tae Kwon Do for a year a long time ago so I can kick pretty high and pretty hard. I also Muay thai for like 4 months. But it wasnt traditional muay thai but kickboxing mixed with MT.

I am exceptional at doing kicks but I really am not a fan of using high kicks and especially spinning back kicks because they leave you wide open to attack if you fail to land one. Im looking to learn an art fairly quickly as well.

I was thinking about joining a very good local kung fu school and the teach both clf and wc? Which would I likely prefer?

2. PsychoElectric

PsychoElectric Valued Member

Both will leave you wide open to be attacked.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Vinny, if you were exceptional at kicks you wouldn't be leaving yourself wide open.

Bill Wallace would disagree with you.

Secondly learning is a lifetime journey. It never ends and you'll constantly be questioning yourself and your art.

You need six solid months in an art to develop any understanding.

That's six months at least 3 times a week in addition to training at home.

It's said it takes 10,000 hours to get to Olympic standard in any sport.

Train for 2 hours a week and you have 104 hours under your belt.

Train for 10 years and you have 1,040 hours. Nowhere near the 10,000 required.

If I remember correctly it takes 100 hours to develop muscle memory and that's 100 hours of totally correct movement.

So learning an art quickly is going to develop sloppy movements and incorrect technique.

We have said you really need to join a class and stick with it.

The above maths shows why.

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Probably Choy Li Fut of the two. What do you mean by learn it fairly quickly? Hate to tell you this, but with 16 months of training your kicking is not going to be exceptional. If you're wide open to attack you're doing them wrong.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

No they won't.

Kicking high and wide with sloppy technique will leave you wide open, but it's the same with any movement not set up and executed well.

You don't just walk in with a technique. The opponent is set up, either by feinting, drawing, by way of combinations etc.

6. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

How?

7. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Yeah like I said. I loved the place in Florida but had to leave. I am trying to find a place I love and stick with it

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

What Simon said at post #3.
    But also -- it's good to continue with the thing that you have aptitude for. You say that you're an exceptional kicker. Therefore, continue with that: TKD, muay thai, or karate. Play to your strength.

I've met some TKD guys who could flatten me in a few seconds with their kicks. It's really not all bad.

I believe it is universally acknowledged that style v. style fights boil down to who can control the range. If a kicker can keep it in kicking range, the advantage goes to him -- as opposed to a boxer getting past his legs and forcing a boxing fight, as opposed to a wrestler getting past his arms and forcing a wrestling match. Whoever controls the range has the advantage, so learn to control the range best suited to you.

:dunno:

9. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Yeah I thought you would say clf

10. huoxingyang

huoxingyang Valued Member

I don't know you and I don't know the school, so I used my psychic powers to determine that you would enjoy Wing Chun more. I don't have Wing Chun in my name so obviously you should trust me more.

You could also just go along and find out for yourself. You could even ask the instructors at the school what they think of your goals after you have trained a few times and you've started to get to know each other.

I'm joking of course. It makes a lot more sense to outsource this decision to strangers on the Internet.

11. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

It isn't outsourcing to strangers.

We are a community of martial artists and one reason this site is here to help people with martial arts questions.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here.

12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

What is your experience in both WC and CLF again? Just want a frame of reference for your opinion.

I am thinking you speak like someone who has never trained CLF. (Speaking as one who has studied this art for a dozen years.)