Traditional wing chun vs modern wing chun?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Bubble99, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Avenger

Avenger Banned Banned

If you have enough data from your testing, you should know results.

To me literally fighting , means you have no advantage, and the outcome is a toss up. I like the interview with Gracie earlier in the posts, it was spot on.

2. Bubble99

Bubble99 Valued Member

By in class. Some self defense class I have seen line up the attackers that come at you. And you have know idea what move they will use on you.

Like I say there are some MMA gyms that have self defense class and some affiliated gym to MMA. But if you join MMA gym and all you do is train and sparring and not get into fights even amateur fights:woo::woo: people will talk about you. If it is MMA money making place the staff training you will probably not care has long has you show up to class and pay.

Keep in mind lot of deadly fighting cannot be tested like groin strikes, knee strikes, throat strikes, eye strikes,neck and back strikes so on. And in MMA these moves are banned.

But if you are good at boxing and kickboxing and really good at hitting fast moving attacker with really good accuracy. And really good with your timing, fighting ranges, accuracy and can take big beating and not go now:):) I'm sure boxer or kickboxer will be good Kenpo Karate or wing chun.:woo::woo:

Not many places do full contact fighting or full contact sparring out side of boxing, kickboxing, MMA, Muay Thai, Kyokushin Karate, Enshin Karate and Kajukenbo.

3. Bubble99

Bubble99 Valued Member

So you feel boxing should be added to wing chun?

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Well for Kajukenbo, there are different schools and things changed over time. A lot of the Kajukenbo full contact sparring is going to use a format like MMA or kickboxing. What Kajukenbo training usually includes is heavy contact. We hit each other hard in training, but always conscious of what the "enemy" (training partner) can take. We aren't trying to kill each other. Also keep in mind limitations. We might hit three times hard, but then take it easy (light contact) for a bit to let the body recover.

Lots of other martial arts schools also can hit hard. It is more the culture of the school. If you really care about your training partners like they are family, you are going to challenge them and when they are ready, that means heavy hits within reason. One of the tenets is make training harder than the real thing, then the real thing will be just normal.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Are you talking about "1 step counter"? That will be a good testing. Do you have any clip to show that?

Also when your opponent attacks you and you counter his attack, what if he counters your counter? Will you counter him counter again? Is that just called "sparring"?

To assume that "1 step counter" training is all you will need is not realistic IMO.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  6. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Lots of these weren't banned before and never tipped the scales from the same solid fighting fundamentals which exist in the absence of those anyway.

7. Bubble99

Bubble99 Valued Member

Have a more modified new wing chun with some boxing added in.

Similar to this Miami wing chun school.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO-Q22TOxNc"]Demonstrating Pak, Jum Sao, Soo Gerk - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOPMPU8TNcM"]Basic Cover drill @ Miami Wing Chun Kung Fu - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoBiQkDx6dw"]Our Youth Kung Fu Program @ Miami Wing Chun Kung F - YouTube[/ame]

A new wing chun with some boxing added in look similar to this Miami wing chun school. .:eek::eek:

8. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

I think boxing is much more interesting if kicks and other things are added like throws and submissions. We wouldn't have MMA if they hadn't started mixing things together, and boxing failed big time against the full arena. Boxing most of all, was a king standup combat sport prior to UFC and it was proven the best fist boxers are taken out quickly with a little Jiujitsu or kicks. Sneaky!

So, whether or not Wing Chun should change (or what that even means) isn't as interesting a question as to what "boxing" really is. Wing Chun is definitely 'boxing', according to 'Western' definitions, but pugilism of an exotic type to certain people. To others who learn Wing Chun and synthesize the same principles as the 'sweet science' what difference is there really, when they can fight in the arena? In that respect Alan Orr's Wing Chun is the formless that Wing chun students seek from the forms, and that's why it works, even when it doesn't look like 'Wing Chun'.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  9. SCA

SCA Former Instructor

Vertical punch.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016