What's the best Kung Fu book?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by jd3k, Nov 19, 2016.

1. jd3k

jd3k New Member

Hi, my name is Daniel and i'm new here (a noob)...

I'm looking for any advice for a Kung Fu book(s) and video tutorials.
    What am i looking for:

- I know nothing about Kung Fu styles,
    - I want any style closer to the classic Shaolin stuff,
    - Not only for begginers,
    - There's no Kung Fu schools where i live,
    - I'm a self–taught person,
    - I want to merge Kung Fu with me and not the other way around,
    - My background is gymnastics and some weight training.

I'm sorry for anything... Thanks guys ;)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

If there is no kungfu near you, join another school.

Self teaching is a great way to ingrain bad habits and potentially injure yourself.
    Not to mention, the lack of training partners, or guidance by experienced eyes.

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

What Dan said.
    But all the same, have you looked at Bruce Lee's 4-volume set? It's not "Shaolin" exactly but I think it checks your other boxes.

4. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

20 plus years of practicing kung fu. better to learn another art from a teacher than to try to teach yourself kung fu. Other arts have a lot to offer and can only improve your kung fu when you do find a teacher. buagwa, Boxing, Mui tai, judo, wrestling, bjj, silat, escrima, hapkido, all good.

5. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

The others are right, please take it to heart. Better to learn well the art you'd rather not, than delude yourself into thinking you can learn the art you want on your own. Books and videos are an aid to proper instruction, nothing more.

6. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

With that said there were some excellent manuals produced a few decades ago.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  7. jd3k

jd3k New Member

Thank you all...

Thanks for your suggestion ;)

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The best Kung Fu books are The Method of Chinese Wrestling by Tong Zi and Chinese Fast Wrestling for Fighting by Liang Shou Yu. However as has already been said they are no substitute for a class.

9. SCA

SCA Former Instructor

This can't be stressed enough. Find a good school if you are serious about learning martial arts. Be wary of places that require long term contracts, false claims of master/grandmaster, made up styles, etc.

10. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Hey OP. Whilst it is great that you have your heart set on Kung Fu, I have to echo everyone else in here by saying that you would be doing yourself a great disservice if you hinged your study of Kung Fu on books.

What is it about Kung Fu that appeals to you? If it's the traditional aspects have you thought about something like Karate? Assuming there are schools near you that is...