Dao Broadsword

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by BklynJames, Jul 15, 2016.

1. BklynJames

BklynJames Kung Fu New Jack

Are they close in weight to the real thing? I have a few bokens made by a company called Kingfisher Woodworks that are very high quality. Wonder if they would make a Dao...
    Luckily I have a decent size backyard so I can train there.

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The spear tassel is used to confuse your opponent's eyes. It also prevents your enemy's blood to get on your spear and make it slippery.

[​IMG]

The knife tassel is used to clean your enemy's blood. That's why it's red color.

[​IMG]

It's NO NO to train or fight with your Dao when tassel is on. It can confuse your own eyes. If your opponent stabs his sword toward your chest while your Dao tassel is in front of your face and block your vision, it can mean your "death".

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blqNOoE8f80"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blqNOoE8f80[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

If that were a serious concern there would be more widespread solutions across the globe given the spear being the most common weapon. Most cultures however just have a haft, a spear head, and maybe a butt cap or spike. I think it's more as decoration than anything.

No. This actually is something historically which is globally common. Basically they're a lanyard you can wrap around your hand to keep from losing your sword. It was a common feature across several cultures including in the west. It's red for the same reason as the tassels, because the Chinese like red. Now they're kept on because it looks cool when you twirl it around.

5. huoxingyang

huoxingyang Valued Member

Never?
    While I don't advocate beginners and learners playing with sharp swords, there has to come a point when you are capable of handling one. It says a lot about your skill and/or the utility of a form if you cannot perform without reliably not cutting yourself.

Of course given that it is a totally unnecessary risk to practice through forms with a live blade (no matter how confident or skillful you are), at the very least you should be able to take individual movements, cuts and small sections of the forms and use them to well... cut stuff. Not trying to cut stuff with a sword is as crazy to me as learning empty hand fighting without ever hitting something.

6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Before you start to train your Dao skill, your teacher should ask you to go into the woods, chop off 10,000 tree branches with your Dao. I live next to a 227 acre wide life preserve area. I have used my Dao to cut through a clear personal hiking trail. If you live in city, it may be difficult.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  7. Subitai

Subitai Valued Member

Just some quick recommendations for you, I'm not sure what type of blade you'll eventually be in the market for but it'll all depend on what your preference is.

** Unless you're a short guy, don't get anything less than 30" blade length...i'm 5'-11" and I prefer a 32" blade for example.

1) Don't ever get wimpy wushu flimsy steel...you won't be happy.

2) I recommend something that's MEDIUM or a compromise between weight, thickness and balance, something like this:
    http://www.wle.com/products/KungFuBroadswordPear.html

- I have this blade in 32" and it's my favorite. Contrary to what the description states...it CAN stand on it's own weight upright when placed on it's tip. Mabe I got lucky because when they are hand made, sometimes the thickness can vary.

- Best to call them, speak over the phone and ask the guy packing your sword to verify what you want before shipping it to you.

- Lastly, for the money this sword is a good deal. But I have also taken this sword handle apart and inserted pieces of leather with holes cut in the leather for the "TANG" to slip through. This means that after re-assembly, everything fits tighter in the handle section and it performs great. If you want mabe later I could snap a few photos of what it looks like.

3)If you want to go heavier:
    http://www.wle.com/products/Three-Kingdom-Broadsword.html

- It's more of a beast and also you pay more. But you also get what you pay for.

===============

Of course you're in NY correct? I'm sure you could go to a few places there and find some. I live in CT...I havn't been to NY shopping for many years but I remember there used to be "bok lei po" I assume it's still there. A quick google for me found this:
    http://store.bokleipo.com/index.php
    Address: 63 Mott St, New York, NY 10013
    Phone: (212) 233-0935

8. BklynJames

BklynJames Kung Fu New Jack

Yep, 6'2" 210 lbs... A little on the big side. I am a fan of heavier swords being I weight trained for a good portion of my life. I'm actually in NJ, but 20 mins from the city. A few training brothers recommended Bok Lei Po in china town. Im sure ill end up there sooner or later. Is it a live blade? Nothing in the description says if it is on not.