TKD and Krav maga/tactical edge

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by fabiomartialart, May 23, 2016.

1. fabiomartialart

fabiomartialart New Member

Sorry I may have posted this in the wrong area, very new to the site. I'm thinking of getting into MA, I have done boxing on and off for a number of years and now quite fancy studying a martial art in depth. I found a martial arts instructor with years of exp not far from where I live he runs a gym called 'the best defence' the main styles taught at the best defence are tactical edge/Krav maga most nights, and taekwando on two of the nights. The main instructor also has another instructor who comes in and teaches mma for those looking to compete another 2 nights. So all in all the gym is well rounded in my opinion but not so well rounded that your learning ten different disaplines by one instructor. I just wanted a few opinions on what some others think?

Is you search the best defence Arbroath Scotland you'll get a link to the website.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Man you really are in no man's land! Dundee has Dundee Shooters I'd you can get to it. Checked that website you mentioned, I'm not sure about it myself.

3. fabiomartialart

fabiomartialart New Member

Cheers for the rely. I had a look on the shooters webpage but struggled to find information on the Dundee club itself. Have you trained there personally or at other shooters clubs?

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I know of them and I've seen them at mma events. Seem like a good bunch of guys. Met the instructor a few times and I know they have a pro team too.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Boxing IS a martial art and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :)

6. Remi Lessore

Remi Lessore Valued Member

I can't comment on the other disciplines mentioned but if the videos I saw on YouTube are anything to go by they are not teaching any krav maga I recognise.

7. Remi Lessore

MOOOOODDS!!!!
    Do something about the previous post, please !

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Remi, when you are logged in, there is a hazard triangle with an exclamation mark in it on the top right of posts. Click on that to report posts. That is a much more reliable way of getting the mods to see something than appealing to them in the thread.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Well blow me down...never noticed that before (or used it).

10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I always use it when I notice a spammer. I used it a few minutes ago to report that latest bot!

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Good man. Cleaning up the streets/MAP.

12. Remi Lessore

Yes. I saw it when my spectacles were unsteamed enough.

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Good work chaps.

Thank you.

14. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Boxing is an excellent martial art. I'd argue that boxing is more practical for self-defence than many other martial arts.

Normally I'd argue that Krav Maga would be a great choice for self-defence. However, a lot depends on the style of Krav Maga and especially what the instructor's like. Some are excellent - and I've trained in Krav in Israel - but others can be a bit McDojo. As usual, the only way to know is to try some lessons to find out.

Tae Kwon Do's brilliant: it's a great sport, a wonderful art and martial art, and more besides. I'm a big fan of TKD. However, I'd argue that it isn't the best choice for self-defence. I haven't seen TKD emphasise the right training for practical self-defence. There are exceptions, of course:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqtkU8r8upU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqtkU8r8upU[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  15. ned

ned Valued Member

Not very funny - sucker punching your mate for laughs