Internal power generation

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Simon, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Avenger

Avenger Banned Banned

I would not say that is from strength, but many other reasons which are not to me considered strength. Maybe you are finally getting some internal attributes ?.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Isn't that more likely to be a result of different regimens, rather than you having greater strength potential now, as opposed to 25-35 yr. strength peak?

Absolutely. That's what I was trying to convey. You get more canny ;)

Potential attribute advantages are worth nothing if you're not given the chance to utilise them!

I think this is relevant:

"The age of peak athletic performance depends upon the key functional element required of the successful competitor. In events where flexibility is paramount (for example, gymnastics and brief swimming events) the top competitors are commonly adolescents. In aerobic events, performance usually peaks in the mid-twenties, as gains from prolonged training, improved mechanical skills and competitive experience are negated by decreases in maximal oxygen intake and flexibility. Because of a longer plateauing of muscle strength, performance in anaerobic events declines less steeply, and in pursuits such as golf and equitation, where experience is paramount, the best competitors are aged 30-40 years.

Caution is needed in drawing physiological inferences from athletic records, since the pool of potential competitors decreases with age. Moreover, the motives of older participants often change from competitive success (winning at all costs) to social interaction, and some participants in Masters events lack cumulated skills, since they did not begin competing until they reached their late thirties."

- http://www.sportsci.org/encyc/agingex/agingex.html

The good thing about martial arts is that you can function on different combinations of technique and attributes, so it is easier to adapt your practice into old age than with many competitive sports.

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

When a stick is bending and you want to straight it, you have to bend it to the other direction.

If you don't want to be like this when you get old,

[​IMG]

you should train this daily. The "internal" principle that you should keep your head above your spine is not enough. You have to do more than that. As far as I know to bend back like this is against the "internal" principle.

In other words, when you get old, "internal" training is not enough for you. You have to train external. It's not because you want to or not. It's because you have to.

[​IMG]

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

more like 13 to 20 but thanks for playing