How good is Shotokan Karate?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Kadafee, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Please don't take the following as a dig at yourself or your sensei, not intended that way in the slightest.

In all fairness It isn't the 4th dan belt that you're paying for.

Elaborating on that because it doesn't ring true on it's own, what I'm trying to say is just because a person wears a high dan grade does not give them leisure to charge obscene prices for their tutelage, not trying to discredit their belt they probably worked their ass off to get it and are a damn fine martial artist.

Yes, Ok it is up to them if they want to charge £10 for a half hour lesson then they are well within their rights to do so they own the school and they are the one teaching.

However just because they wear a 4th dan blackbelt or even going higher, it still does not make it okay that they are charging above the ordinary prices.
    Basically It's not ok for YOU (general term) to think that you should pay over the odds for the higher grade.

You can still get quality without having to pay huge amounts of money.

Just my opinion.

Edit: Sorry to run away from thread purpose.

2. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Right on dude.

3. jeff_D_Learner

jeff_D_Learner New Member

Hi first post.

I am currently studying a style known as shindo.

https://www.shindokarate.com.au/

Before I started this style I was doing Kyokushin which was being taught as mid contact. Didn't get far in that unfortunately because the dojo was closed down and the nearest one to me would cost too much money to get there on a regular basis.

So now I am studying Shindo which is being taught as basically a non contact sport. I am an orange belt. The class consists mostly of kids around 6-12 years of age with only a few adult students.

They teach;

The basics (blocks, punches, kicks, combo's etc)
    Katas

That is what we do most of the time we do do some conditioning though we don't do it as often as I'd like.

On occasion we will practice some application but this is very infrequent which in my opinion
    We also do some sparing on occasion though nowhere near enough in my opinion.

It isn't a bad style as such just not being taught as good as it could. They put a lot of focus into getting the basics, stances and kata's correct.

As for sparring and application that varies from club to club even within the same style. Especially if the club has more kids than adults then you are going to have less sparring and application due to fear of kids being hurt and insurance.

So long story short shotokan is as good as the dojo's teacher.

I do enjoy Shindo but I wish I could get back into Kyokushin mostly because I am used to the idea that you need to have contact or you will never be able to defend yourself if needed.

4. webcrest

webcrest Valued Member

Shotokan karate is one of the most disciplined and esteemed style of karate. This traditional arts of shotokan can help you repel your attacker or opponent very effectively hence its is a good style for self defense :)