Eckart Tolle. Is he legit or just crazy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by AndrewTheAndroid, Sep 20, 2015.

1. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

What do you think about this guy? I tried to listen to some of his stuff awhile ago but as someone who is not that spiritual I didn't "get" a lot of what he was saying. The fact that he compares himself to Buddha and Jesus was a bit egocentric if you ask me.

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Everyone is crazy it's just a matter of how and to what degree.

3. AndrewTheAndroid

That's true but I would like to know where he is on the spectrum between Charlie Sheen and the Dalai Lama.

If he is more Lama than Sheen then what valuable insights do you think he has?

4. HairoNoSora

HairoNoSora Valued Member

Not to mention it usualy also comes down to wheter or not you agree ;-)

5. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I'm not.

At least that's what the voices tell me, anyway.

I think one of them dates a crazy cat lady though, so...

6. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Name rings a bell, but I can't recall at the moment. Can you post an example?

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Isn't he a uni English lit drop out, who decided to get rich by writing self help books?

8. AndrewTheAndroid

This is his youtube channel

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unUJPFYjhEQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unUJPFYjhEQ[/ame]

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You know how if you can't think of anything nice to say, you should say nothing?

I got nothing.

Mitch

10. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

What does "legit" even mean in this context?

11. AndrewTheAndroid

Does he legitimately know what he's talking about or is he babbling nonsense.

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Surprised he isn't running for the republican presidential nomination.

13. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Well, he is in a business where it is harder to define. If he writes "self help" inspirational books, and people read them. If they feel like it helps their lives and inspire them, then he is for real to them. It isn't like he is teaching a particular skill that can be measured or quantified.

As long as he doesn't start doing cult like things (controlling people's social life, money, etc.) then I see no harm. I haven't heard of anything like that surrounding him.

I am not aware of him claiming any degree's or anything in a fraudulent manner.

He has been a top selling author for a long time. His books/ audiobooks are very popular in my library system.

Personally, I have never had even the remotest interest in his stuff.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  14. SimoniousPunk

SimoniousPunk New Member

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Easy to do if you don't have a competent teacher. Not saying these don't just that as I understand it such misunderstandings are easy to make if you lack proper guidance.

16. combatarts

combatarts Valued Member

The stuff he writes is just a rehash of many old Eastern philosophies.

17. nyancat

nyancat New Member

I think he's legit. He teaches some interesting methods of meditation that I found useful.