Good Books For Koryu

Discussion in 'Koryu Bujutsu' started by Kogusoku, Dec 3, 2007.

1. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Hehe awesome...

Back to the thread:

Japanese Swordsmanship - Gordon Warner and Donn Draeger
    Great intro into iai and JSA in general.

Flashing Steel - Masayuki Shimabukuro
    Not so good for MJER iai practice, but has some great info on the concepts that are within budo/bujutsu practice...

2. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Katori Shinto-ryu - Warrior Tradition by Otake Risuke

An updated and more readily available version of the 3 volume Deity & The Sword series in one volume with expanded chapters on yawara (jujutsu) and ninjutsu.

*The Deity & The Sword series has been out of print for over 10 years in the English language and is sought after as a collectors item these days*

All of the above are excellent books! Personally I am very fond of Donn Draeger's work! :cool:

3. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Why thank you Chewbacca. ;)

4. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

5. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

You never showed me the Katori shinto ryu volumes!!!!! Now that's just mean!
    Mind you, you probably were worried about the drool mark I would leave on them

The Bear.

6. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Just for you bear here is a page. Maybe next time.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

7. Tsuka joe

Tsuka joe Valued Member

Hot off the presses!!

www.amazon.com/Flashing-Steel-2nd-E...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200790430&sr=1-1

The release on the second edition of Flashing Steel happend yesterday.
    Sensei brought a copy in today to examine.(that was really nice of him.)
    There have been significant changes in the 2nd edition. Not only are there front views, but alot more side views as well. Shinobu was one kata that stuck out dramatically in technical aspect. There is also in the lineage part that raised some questions, what changes has Hidefusa Soke made in his
    branch.(The styles name was different, heiho not iaijutsu) :confused:

8. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I've just got my copy of this (student loan instalment = 3 war books and this) and so far it looks reet canny. Some "interesting" names and terms in it for someone who doesn't know much about Japanese things! :D

9. Jesusvubowers

Jesusvubowers New Member

Trolling attempt deleted.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2011
  10. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Not sure if you're serious here, but, uh, not what we're talking about.

11. ScottUK

Please do not doubt Jesus's choice of book. Pride & Prejudice was published in 1813, waaaaaay before the Haitōrei edict of 1876 - and therefore is most definitely koryu.

12. Cen Garsden

Cen Garsden Flamin' Wobbygong

I have the book called Kano-ryu Jujutsu (mind you, in very bad condition) which is obviously a "pre-Judo" manual on the same. I'd be curious to know whether it is considered a book on koryu. While I am aware of the difference between Koryu bujutsu and Gendai Budo, I do know that accepted koryu arts like the Takumakai started later technically speaking. I'd appreciate a clarification if available.

13. ScottUK

While Daito-ryu is a koryu art, the Takumakai is just an organisation.

14. Cen Garsden

(Edited, double post)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  15. Cen Garsden

When I say I understand that I don't mean to be dismissive or unappreciative of your post. I am referring to the Kano book.

16. macker

macker Valued Member

I have just purchased Ju Jutsu The Science The Art A Study of Tenshin Shinyo Ryu Ju Jutsu by Derek Fairhurst.

17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It's worth noting, that I belive his school was discussed previously, and it isn't the same as the koryu school.

Is this genuine Tenjin Shinyo-ryu jujutsu in Chester?

Derek seems to of removed all the websites that previously mentioned the club and his name too.

derek fairhurst

macker likes this.
  18. macker

macker Valued Member

Yes i remember reading that thread when i started training with The Tenjin Shinyo ryu in Southend. From research Derek learnt his syllabus from Toshihiro Kubota. The techniques i studied whilst training with Tenyokai International are the same as highlighted in this book.

The book was also recommended to me by my Sensei, Sensei Tony Bailey who has graded Shodan with Tenyokai international.

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

So Derek's training was legitimate, but his school wasn't recognised by the new headmaster? I'm not very familiar with the schools history.

Are the photos in the book, of Derek and his students or are they of Toshihiro Kubota and his students?

macker likes this.
  20. macker

macker Valued Member

The photos dont have an acknowledgement of who they are, i havent finished the book so i'm unable to answer that question. Also the second part either, i havent pursued my Tenjin training with Tenyokai.

Dead_pool likes this.