My weekly Kettlebell conditioning routine (for fellow kettlebell-ers)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Batterygal0515, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Batterygal0515

Batterygal0515 New Member

Suppose I might share it here for thoughtful criticism.

*coupled with a bodyweight training routine on Tuesdays and Thursdays
    *Sundays are either for resting, or for jump rope.
    *Saturdays are for MA/KFM-specific training/drilling technique/classes
    *35lb kettlebell/s

As of Nov. 2014:

Mondays: 150x3 two-handed kettlebell swings + 1/1 Turkish Get-Up
    Wednesdays: 100x1L/100x1R kettlebell snatches + 3/3 Turkish Get-Ups
    Fridays: 50x1L/50x1R kettlebell cleans+overhead presses 5/5 Turkish Get-Ups

2. pecks

pecks Valued Member

if you can do 150x3 of something, is the kettlebell not too light? (genuine question)

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Kettlebells are often used for high intensity cardio, so high reps is not necessarily a problem.

4. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

holy: your comment about high reps make sense. but is 150 of anything too much when it comes to weights? if you're in that range, should you just do something with a heavier weight? like maybe go up to a 70 kilo bell? (if those even exist)

using weights to me, even in a high rep. situation, means that as the weight gets easier, one should move up in weights. i totally understand doing tons of pushups and/or crunches for instance, since those are only bodyweight exercises.

just wondering. i'm trying to figure out my own kettlebell routine currently.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

150 is a lot, but if the aim is moderate cardio, then that is probably a 3 minute interval.

I'd maybe suggest going to a 20kg/45lb bell.

6. Batterygal0515

@pecks: What holy said. Swings on mondays (and jump rope every other weekend) serve as my cardiovascular training. Keeps my heart rate up and gets the core really worked up!:)

@Giovanni: I've been working with 2 35lb KB's for about a little over a year now, so I've actually considering moving up to the 53lb ones, but I'm worried I might be overdoing it. Pavel Tsatsouline's Enter the Kettlebell! says that for women the weight closest to a quarter of my bodyweight is the most ideal. I'm always open to other suggestions and insights on the subject though. I'm around 110-115lb.

I've heard stories of other women pressing kettlebells over 70 pounds, but I'm not really sure if I should be going that high up just yet.

7. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Holyheadjch sounds well reasoned. Not sure I'd make the jump from 35 to 53 lbs either. Seems a bit much if cardio and conditioning are your goals. If you're trying to add more lean muscle then I'd be in favor of going heavy for a month and back to 35's. Strictly my opinion. Rest of your routine is sound. Remember to feed your workouts too!

8. Batterygal0515

Sounds like a plan, that. If that's what I'll be doing then I guess one single 53 pounder'll do as opposed to buying myself another pair.

I will consider this. I'll probably take it slow since as is I've already resorted to performing the Turkish get-up with great caution and extremely slow. I may spend the rest of the time up until the end of spring until I seriously think about buying a 53lb KB. Thank you.