Kung Fu Styles List

Discussion in 'Kung Fu Resources' started by Su lin, May 30, 2007.

1. tooksomechin_na

tooksomechin_na Valued Member

I liked my teacher and the place I was taught, but the classes weren't very formal, and just once a week for 6 weeks or so. I was trying to find a school that was say full-time chin na school.

Like this Aikido school or a Karate school I found which was full time, 4 times a week (you have to come at least twice a week) I want to find a Chin na school like this. What you say about any decent Kung fu school teaching it is encouraging, maybe I should look for one.

And, some people are really skeptical about parts of it like Dim Mak, claiming it doesn't work, it's bullshido, etc. To do a test I'd let Dr Yang do a minor one on me, either it will prove it does or doesn't work.

2. eyeofstorm

eyeofstorm Valued Member

I didn't count them but estimate you have around 70 styles there. Virtually all books and sources on the Chinese arts will say there are at least 400 styles Some say as many as 1500! Clearly there are a great many missing.
    Most people would also disagree that there is or has ever been a true style called Shaolin. Shaolin is the name of the monastery where a great many styles have been practiced over the last 1500 years. There are many who claim to teach Shaolin style who are clearly just using the name of the famous monastery, unaware that it is not a style. Shaolin was like a university. You don't study Oxford but you might study at Oxford.
    Add Ng Gar, Lohan Quan, there is an eagle style separate to eagle claw and how could you possibly forget Tang Lang that mixed mantis with monkey footwork and was reputed to be the only style that defeated the monks of Shaolin.
    Lastly, I may be wrong but I believe that drunken monkey isn't a real style but was a made up style for the cinema. That hasn't stopped people pretending to be masters of it though!