The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Chimpcheng, Dec 21, 2012.

?

Your vote:

1. 0 stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1 star

7.4%
  3. 2 stars

7.4%
  4. 3 stars

14.8%
  5. 4 stars

40.7%
  6. 5 stars

29.6%
  1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I just saw it. Very mixed feelings. It does look good, some great characters and acting. I didn't mind the slow start at all, I felt it was a nice introduction to the trilogy. But I just couldn't get into it. The last hour or so were quite dull in my opinion. It just seemed like one cartoon like fight scene after another, although it wasn't.

I quite liked the start of the film where you see the Lonely Mountain and all the dwarves working in the mines.

Not really a spoiler but...

What the heck was the nonsense with the sledge pulled by rabbits???

But I agree that a trilogy is a bit much. Perhaps 2 films would have been nice. But I guess Jackson is only down to his last bazillion dollars or so.

The fact that I couldn't get into the film probably wasn't helped by the person next to me who was jumping out of their seat and throwing themselves around at the sight of every goblin or orc. After the film I was going to suggest that they don't go to the cinema to see the next film and maybe stay in and watch Friends reruns....but I thought it was perhaps best that only one person's experience was not as enjoyable as it could have been. Grrrrrrrrrr!!!! :meditate:

I really don't enjoy going to the cinema.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  2. Pearlmks

Pearlmks Valued Member

Didn't like it at all.
    1- The Hobbit is not LOTR. The feel of the book is completely different. It's more of a children's fairy tail.
    2- No need for Azog since its his son in the book that leads the goblin and warg armies at the end in retaliation for Dain having killed Azog before. It seems the aim was to glorify Thorin.
    3- Galadriel dissapearing??????????
    4- Radagast was absurd.
    5- There was no need to hint at Thror being in thrall of his ring. I know of no evidence to support it.
    6- They seem to portray Thorin's band as a bunch of mostly incompetent misfits.
    7- The eagles need to talk in some film please. They're supposed to be a great race, a little recognition would be nice.
    8- The elves in The Hobbit are portrayed very differently.
    More to follow as I remember more from the film.

I expected the film to be somewhat different from the book, but it was made to be exactly the same as the Trilogy. There is no real need for 3 films.