Chinese Stone Lock training and conditioning

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by slipthejab, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I'd rather see the video of the guy picking up the big stones with a rope tied to his Johnson (thats a willy for all you brits).... Never ceases to make me grab myself....

2. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

You'll just use any excuse won't ya?:hat:

3. rain21

rain21 Valued Member

I learned something like this in Sri Lanka, called angampora, have movements nearly same as this.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'm not getting what Angampora has to do with Chinese stone locks. From what I've seen of it... it's got almost nothing in common with Chinese stone lock lifting and throwing other than they're both physical endeavors.

Care to enlighten?

5. crumpet

crumpet Valued Member

1min 21 sec, he uses what looks like wooden locks
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUoJ9RkaQnw"]YouTube - Hop Gar Training[/ame]

6. Northwind

Northwind Valued Member

Very cool vid - thanks for sharing! I love some of his training equipment. Very creative! :)

7. Sum Gai

Sum Gai Valued Member

Is their a site where i could find one?

8. gareththomasnz

gareththomasnz Valued Member

Time has moved on

Where is the book ?

If you have given up - can you share what you have - otherwise get motivated and finish the book

9. slipthejab

Nothin' doing. Good stuff takes time. I'm still working on it at the moment. No one has any idea how much bleeding searching has to be done. Which leads to any number of tangents to meander down. So yes it takes time. Much of the harder part is working out decent translations from the Chinese materials. No small task that.

10. gareththomasnz

I just hired two students to help translate with my book - that way I had 2 versions to check accuracy

11. slipthejab

Yes translations can be rather tricky! I've come across errors in other books when people attempt transliterations without really considering the context. Context is everything when it comes to translation. Not unsurprisingly I've found that a good number of Chinese people have no more clue than me for much of the material - either because most of what I'm working on isn't ever covered in school and isn't even considered by Chinese society at large. It's an interesting experience... I just wish there were more hours in the day.

Refresh my memory... which book are you working on translating? (I'll go back through the thread to see if I can find it if you mentioned it before)

12. gareththomasnz

This book

I translated Yuan Chu Cai's original book then added more information

just click through the link at the bottom to the sales page - Its over 200 pages

At the moment I am about to launch my second book

I made a couple of grand selling the iron palm one

Gareth if you with to advertise your books please contact Aegis to discuss rates

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2012
  13. gareththomasnz

LOL gee I know doing a book takes a long time

any updates for us?

14. JayinHK

JayinHK New Member

Here's a bump: just got a 15kg/30 jin granite stone lock and I love it! Not a kung fu guy, but I'd love to get into some when I'm less busy. I'm in Hong Kong and had one sent from the northeast. I also work out with weights, steel maces/steel clubbells, aqua bags, etc, but the history behind the stone lock was fascinating. I want some lighter ones to work into my silat training now!

Mitch likes this.