The Karate Kid (2010)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Kobudo-man, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Cuonghugirl, I've merged your thread with an existing one on this film.

In China, I believe the film is called "The Kung Fu Kid".

2. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

LOL, nothing like dusting the cobwebs off the old threads.

I read an article where they explained that the reason they switched to Kung fu and China was relevance to modern culture. China has exploded in many ways where that was not true back when the original was filmed. Also they kept the name quite simply to play on the fame of the first, knowing almost no one would go see a film called "Kung Fu Kid"... I can see that making sense from the marketing end but still think its a bit underhanded.

The first time I saw the movie, maybe because of too many memories of the first and too many expectations as well, I didnt like it. AT ALL! I mean I didn't find a single redeeming quality to the whole thing. However, I found myself with nothing to do and nothing on TV a few weeks back and figured I could put this on in the background while I crawled through my portable HD and cleaned it out.

I watched the whole thing and never even looked at my portable HD. I found the movie rather good when taken on its own merits. I DO agree there's a bit TOO much plot development and in that regard wish it would have moved more quickly. I would have liked to see more training in the temple or perhaps some training with that lady watching the cobra, etc... but, on the whole, it wasn't as awful as I thought it was at first.

3. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

I really think that the ending meve jaden did was extremely cheesy. I was expecting some sort of snake style block and counter. Not a obviously wirefu flip and kick.

But hey. jackie chan.

i'll remember that bug scene forever. =D

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

My children like it a lot. I wonder to myself if it will have the place in their hearts that the original has for us old guys. :)

5. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

i never saw it. obviously the title is one reason, another is the age of the kids and the romace bit wold have been unrealistic for me than it was with daniel san and his gf Ally who were 17 18 years old. Also the idea of the grown up maintence man beating up on KID bullies instead of the 18 year old grown cobra kais who were much more real and more threatening. you felt daniel was in real danger. and you have an unrealistic movie. also the nepotism as will having his son in it.