Deadlift, mobility and flexibility.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by pseudo, Nov 29, 2015.

1. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

I have always had problems with my flexibility and mobility which in turn has caused me alot of lower back discomfort, pain and injuries. It's one of the reasons I stopped weight training. BodybuildingRev, a channel I fallow put out this video today. I think it's fantastic. I tried some of the movement and really don't have any mobility in my lower back region. It was an eye opener and it has given me much to work on. I would love to hear from people who work in this field to see if they have any opinions on this subject. Additionally exercises, things they would do differently or things they don't agree with.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c1l7de0oBE&list=FLfJvOVdteAU5mG4wigpMvng"]Improve Your Deadlift - FULL Mobility Workshop - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  2. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Oh, and some of these exercises are crucial for injury free twerking.

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Link seems to be broken. Is the video a mobility/flexibility check of some sort? I've flexibility issues as well - would love to see it.

4. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Sorry about that. Tried to change the link from a mobile to Browser from my phone. This looks better.

It's a long video so grab a bag of popcorn.

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

saw it today, liked it quite a bit. some interesting stuff they're showing, and if it can mobilize powerlifters and a strongman, it can mobilize anyone :p

the thing about mobility is that it's a multifactorial physical capacity. you have to take into account your actual potential range of motion at each joint (a function of your anatomical structure), the passive properties of your tissues (how much they deform in various directions under various physical stimuli), the voluntary and involuntary actions of your muscles (how much they contract and lengthen, whether they do so by themselves or by your instruction, how completely they activate, how soon, how fast and how strongly your myotatic reflex kicks in, and such), your own coordination (ie actually telling the muscles how you want them to contract), your proprioception and related sense awareness (knowing where you are, and subsequently where you want to go and how to get there), whether there is pain or not, how that pain affects most of the above, even how you breathe, and probably a few other things that i don't know about and/or don't come to mind right now. long story short, there's a lot that can cause mobility deficits, and a lot that should be done in order to correct them, rather than just stretching them.

my onlygripe with this video is the somewhat simplistic view of the hamstrings being main culprits. the posterior chain is itself a tad complicated, and range of motion deficits can arise and be solved from multiple places, as they all pull on each other during flexion due to similar muscle fiber directions, a roughly sequential muscle arrangement, large amounts of fascia and other connective tissue, and a very large range of motion at full flexion (hence their collectively being called the posterior chain). one particular example is a common "party trick" that tends to immediately increase standing toe-touch range of motion, which is using a hard ball or similar object to perform a deep massage on the sole of the feet to soften up and release the plantar fascia and surrounding tissues. this decreases the total tension in the posterior chain, and thus increases how far it can extend, even though it works at a completely fixed body part that isn't mobilized during a standing toe touch. another one, unrelated to the posterior chain (demonstrated by patrick in the squat mobility video from a few minths back, and also known to be done by charles poliquin in his seminars) has the one performing it increase someone's range of motion via painful pressure to the angle of the jaw. to this day i think it black magic :p.

and even so, if you can't move right, towards the right position, all the range of motion in the world won't help you either, and that's not even going into the mobility-stability continuum and its relation to proper mechanics and control of injury risk...

...stupid body :p

6. belltoller

Man, :cry: I was far worse off than I previously thought. Beginning with the 90-90 ... had to use a hand to stabilise.

This looks likes some premo-stuff, so far. Thanks for posting it!

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Commenting so I can find the video when I'm home!

8. liero

liero Valued Member

I worked through the first half of the video so far...That 90-90 is a killer!

9. belltoller

This has already become my "go-to" source. Not only revealing hidden weaknesses but encourages one to work through correcting them.

Wanna get the Youtube downloader - just in case.

10. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

You got that roll down pat like at the 40 min mark :cool:

11. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

My teacher has always recommended floor barre outside of class. Just type the term "floor barre" into youtube or google search. No equipment needed-just a surface soft enough to lay on. :) Here's an example: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPLLZvLaowk&spfreload=10"]Floor Barre (barre workout, toning, butt, abs exercises, inner thighs) - YouTube[/ame]

12. belltoller

I see what you mean regarding your 'twerking' comment.

I'd think that the benefits would be more gradually seen than he suggests. Maybe I'm off but repeating these movements over a relatively long period of time seems likely to produce the best results.

Would like some opinions from Van and Harry regarding its adherence to the kinesiologic principles of dynamic stretching. I'm assuming its all good. I've seen those glute-hamstring-whatevers at Crossfit boxes and they say they are more often misused than not :dunno:

lol...that dog, ah-ha...our Lazy Sod is the same way...some days the wife (or any woman that happens to be over) just wants to slap his face...

You might want to mention that the directly relevant parts of the video (with respects to hip flexion) begin about the 21:46 mark ;)

13. Bjjbrown

Bjjbrown Valued Member

Not watched the video but I would add deadlift is a great exercise but a sucky one for mobility related issues. Reason being is most exercises the rom can easily be charged along with starting position etc. The deadlift is limited by the size of the plates on the bar so people with different physiques etc may struggle. Try sumo or rack pulls to change starting position may help

14. -APEX-

-APEX- Valued Member

I noticed my lower back and hammys are so tight, that if I stretch them for 30 minutes before a heavy lifting session, I can lift about 15% more weight.

It's definitely worth warming up for squats and DL.